• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Some Lockdown Pieces

Some of my pieces from all the free time lately. Had a lot of fun making the CV-19 image that I saw Pat Miller post on another site. Had four cherry logs in the 8-9" diameter range that just sat for years that ended up splitting right down the pith. Originally got them to do some vases and hollow forms but a few things got in the way and never got used. Good fortune was the kerf from the chainsaw split the pith the rest of the way and cleaned up & flattened both sides of the blanks. Nice & easy worm screw mounting. Anyway, decided to do some embellishing mostly with the router and some with the beading tools. Also finished off one of my small offcut cherry burls pieces.
cv1.jpg mi.jpg mr.jpg ma.jpg mb.jpg

Tom,
I use a index wheel and the Flutemaster jig that holds the router. Straight plunge bit for thru slots and core bits for the flutes on the sides and rims. I have one on the lathe right now that I'm going to slice up after mowing the lawn. I'll post a pick of the setup later today.

Here's a couple pics of the project. For this type of piece I find it easier to use a spindle extender so you can swing further down the bowl. Also use a piece from some old RTA furniture to use as a platform. Nothing to difficult to get the hang of.
su1.jpg su2.jpg su3.jpg su4.jpg

Here's a couple pics of the project. For this type of piece I find it easier to use a spindle extender so you can swing further down the bowl. Also use a piece from some old RTA furniture to use as a platform. Nothing to difficult to get the hang of.
View attachment 33553 View attachment 33554 View attachment 33555 View attachment 33556
Nice set up. This technique has been on my yo do list for awhile, any other pic, tips or video you have to share? Thanks for sharing

Paul

Thanks Tom & Paul,

I don't do that much of this type of work, just so happens I'm making a bunch of duplicates of similar size & design for a number of people I know that are going the extra mile during Covid-19. Just with I had a different species to work with. This cherry seems to want to burn just looking at it. Slow or fast rpm's, climb or conventional cut just burns real easy. John Lucas doesn' router work but not sure if he's got any videos of it. Steve Criscenzo has a couple excellent videos on youtube. This is well work the time to view.

Back