• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Post a picture of your favorite turned object

Not a yo-yo...3" x 2.5" Amboyna burl box

100_std.jpg

I don't think I have ever had a favorite piece. Mostly because I can't wait to see what is in the next piece of wood...

robo hippy

My favorite turned object isn't one of great beauty or skill, but of meaning. When my first son was born, my father surprised us with a cherry rattle, made from wood off the old family farm in Ferrum, VA.

My dad wasn't really a turner, but he somehow managed to use a homemade-from-screwdriver captive ring tool, and presented my son with this.
20200514_145906.jpg

which still has teething marks on it from more than a quarter century ago ;-)

Being a curler, I came up with this delivery aid. It combines the nostalgia of an old curling corn broom with a bit of modern technology (stainless steel sliders). I turned the broom handle from walnut and then had a broom maker apply the corn. The supporting structure is turned from apple. There’s a bit of precision drilling and fitting required so the sliders are all level and in the same plane. I’ve made several of these as they impart a degree of style to the game!

Attachments

• 4226DCCB-D184-4D3E-B3EC-A2F81EB44F7E.jpeg
    4226DCCB-D184-4D3E-B3EC-A2F81EB44F7E.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 70
@ mr. Weir: Sir, that is one stylish piece of sports equipment. You wouldn't by chance be the artisan behind the world famous Nimbus 2000?
Lars

My favorite turned object isn't one of great beauty or skill, but of meaning. When my first son was born, my father surprised us with a cherry rattle, made from wood off the old family farm in Ferrum, VA.

My dad wasn't really a turner, but he somehow managed to use a homemade-from-screwdriver captive ring tool, and presented my son with this.
View attachment 33503

which still has teething marks on it from more than a quarter century ago ;-)
Very nice!

Back