• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Black Hole Dust Collection System

For those that have this do you leave the grid inside the collector or do you remove it? I don't loose a lot of sandpaper down the black hole but it sure seems to catch curls that clog the system. Think I'll cut mine out. Your thoughts?

Same here...pondering what to do. My grid is still in which I like when I'm sanding since it catches sandpaper. But I'd also like to use the hood when doing 2nd turning on twice turned bowls, but it plugs from the small shavings. I'll probably cut mine out and find some kind of screen to add when sanding.

I don't have the "Black Hole" brand. I have a similar hood that is wider and a bit taller. It tapers down to a 6" port and I only use it for sanding, so getting cutting shavings caught is not a concern. What is a concern is the accidental slips of hand held sandpaper and velcro discs that sometimes get sucked in. That is why I added a wire grid to mine.

DC #3.jpg

Not familiar with the Black Hole, but the picture shows the wire that I put over the 6" port on my setup. I'm not really concerned about losing sandpaper, but my DC really sucks, so other small items could get sucked up if I mishandle them in front of the port.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Many, many years ago my DC sucked up a large cloth (1/2 T-shirt through my 6" duct work) and made it all the way to the impeller (about 30' away). Set up an imbalance and vibration at the DC. PITA to remove! I then installed a piece of 1/2" hardware cloth over the opening at the front of the collector (12" x 7"). I installed 1/4" aluminum channel to the two sides and bottom (w/ hot melt glue (?) I think - long time ago!) to form a 3-sided slide-in frame to hold the hardware cloth. Easy to pull out - shake - drop back in. It sucks in the dust but catches sandpaper and larger shavings.....saving a lot of emptying my DC bag. :).....which is really a PITA. :(

I have a Laguna P-Flux dust collector with two 4-inch hoses collecting sanding dust. It too has small bars where the 4 inch hoses merge into a 6 inch adapter at the cyclone. Yes, they also tend to grab and collect curly shavings which need to be removed occasionally, not a big issue as the hoses use quick release fittings. My fear is that the day I remove the little bars, that will be the day a pair of pliers or some other impeller-damaging tool will get sucked up the hose. So I put up with the curlies.

I don't have the "Black Hole" brand. I have a similar hood that is wider and a bit taller. It tapers down to a 6" port and I only use it for sanding, so getting cutting shavings caught is not a concern. What is a concern is the accidental slips of hand held sandpaper and velcro discs that sometimes get sucked in. That is why I added a wire grid to mine.

Tom - any chance you can find a name on that? I would really like to have 6" suction at my lathe vs 4"......

I have a Laguna P-Flux dust collector with two 4-inch hoses collecting sanding dus day I remove the little bars, that will be the day a pair of pliers or some other impeller-damaging tool will get sucked up the hose. So I put up with the curlies.

That must have a heck of asuction to pull plier all way to impeller. ;)

Attachments

• Dust Hood - 2.jpeg
    Dust Hood - 2.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Dust Hood - 1.jpeg
    Dust Hood - 1.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 63
Back