• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Boice-Crane 36" lathe

I am interested in a Boice-Crane 36" lathe as an upgrade from my Craftsman 15" lathe. Does anyone have

any experience with this lathe. Currently this one has a 1/2 hp motor. I was thinking of getting a 1.5 hp and VFD. Looks like a better base would be needed. I guess I really would like a PM 3520, but they are 2k and this one is asking 495.
I would like something I could eventually use with a coring system and bowls up to 15/16 inches. Would riser blocks be an option on this lathe?
BTW, my Craftsman has performed quite well, I am getting good at replacing the @#$%^ toothed belt, but it is definitely a weak link.

89026686_10115529128179565_2488403939909697536_o.jpg

I doubt seriously the lathe you are considering here is an “upgrade” whatsoever from your Craftsman 15” lathe. My first lathe was a Craftsman 15” Variable Speed unit, so I know what you have. For me, rather than spending for a new motor, vfd, etc, I would just save for a while until I could get a good lathe.

Looks like you could easily upsize the motor and if you wanted variable speed find a 3-phase motor and power it with a VFD.
Based on the design of the lathe you could easily add riser blocks if desired.
Does the headstock and tailstock have a standard Morse taper bore? What is the spindle thread pitch?
You want a common thread pitch and Morse taper so accessories will be readily available.

Check the bearings...they might be proprietary, which might be a challenge to find replacements. Go to the old woodworking machines site, you'll probably come across someone that has the same lathe.

If you were just getting started and wanted to try your hand at spindle turning, this would probably be a decent starter lathe. I'd be very reluctant to spend much money trying to improve a 40+ year old orphan lathe. If something breaks, well, that company (which doesn't exist anymore) hasn't made the part since the 1970's. Especially if you want to do coring and large bowl turning. I would recommend saving your money and getting one of the many full size lathes on the market today that can handle what you're trying to do. Used lathes show up on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace all the time. Just my $.02.

I wouldn't like that small v-belt if you want to core bowl blanks. Modern lathes have a much wider poly-v belt and you can still make the belt squeal if you get aggressive.

Thanks to all for the sage advice. It caught my eye as a possible poor man's powermatic. Closer look at pics online look like the ways are not cast, but 2 channel iron facing each other.
Now it is time to replace the @#$& toothed reduction belt on the Craftsman. If they only made a carbon-fiber toothed belt.

That is the lathe that was in my Junior High shop class.

Price is on the high side. My estimate of value is about 1/3 of the asking price you listed.

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
I am interested in a Boice-Crane 36" lathe as an upgrade from my Craftsman 15" lathe. Does anyone have

any experience with this lathe. Currently this one has a 1/2 hp motor. I was thinking of getting a 1.5 hp and VFD. Looks like a better base would be needed. I guess I really would like a PM 3520, but they are 2k and this one is asking 495.
I would like something I could eventually use with a coring system and bowls up to 15/16 inches. Would riser blocks be an option on this lathe?
BTW, my Craftsman has performed quite well, I am getting good at replacing the @#$%^ toothed belt, but it is definitely a weak link.

Hey Jim,

BC made some good equipment in their time. This is one of the most recent lathes made.
manual is here: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=6240

Its likely very heavily built, for its size. Its a gap bed lathe, so 16" is likely only close to the headstock.

Bearings, if needed, are likely standard, but the guys at owwm.org will know.
IMO an major upgrade from any recent Craftsman (I've used a few and found them lightly built.

3 phase motors, used, are really cheap.

Other than that, $500 seems too high, maybe offer half.

Hey Jim,

BC made some good equipment in their time. This is one of the most recent lathes made.
manual is here: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=6240

Its likely very heavily built, for its size. Its a gap bed lathe, so 16" is likely only close to the headstock.

Bearings, if needed, are likely standard, but the guys at owwm.org will know.
IMO an major upgrade from any recent Craftsman (I've used a few and found them lightly built.

3 phase motors, used, are really cheap.

Other than that, $500 seems too high, maybe offer half.

Olaf, thank you for chiming in. The manual is exactly what I was looking for.
I was thinking of putting a 3 ph 110v motor on it and a VFD. Then make 2" riser blocks for the head and tailstock. Does that sound practical. Btw, ask is now reduced.

I wouldn't like that small v-belt if you want to core bowl blanks. Modern lathes have a much wider poly-v belt and you can still make the belt squeal if you get aggressive.
Richard, yes the 1/2 hp motor and belt would not work out. I would need 1hp or 1 1/2 hp. Maybe 3phase with a VFD?

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
Olaf, thank you for chiming in. The manual is exactly what I was looking for.
I was thinking of putting a 3 ph 110v motor on it and a VFD. Then make 2" riser blocks for the head and tailstock. Does that sound practical. Btw, ask is now reduced.

Risers at the tailstock are possible .
From the pics, I can't tell about the headstock.

If you are serious, go here
http://owwm.org/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=d7851229fefa95ed6a9590cdb3c61115
And ask all the tech questions. Someone will have one of these and can answer your questions.

That crowd is REALLY competant, some hobbiests, many professional machinists.
They helped me buy and restore 8 major machines, over 100 years old.

Back