• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Have You Purchased Directly From Axminster?

I really like the design of the SK114 chuck, and the selection of jaws is excellent as well. Prices are a tad below Oneway and Vicmarc, too.

Going through the checkout process with them, I was surprised on one hand, by low shipping costs. On the other, I was surprised to see Florida sales tax being charged. Looking into it a bit more, Axminster uses a 3rd party to process international orders, payments, and delivery (Global-e), which also becomes the seller of record! This wasn't expected, so I bailed before completing the transaction.

Have any of you purchased from Axminster? Any issues?

I'm getting Chuckstrated, having priced out a variety of combos from Axminster (1st choice), Vicmarc (strong 2nd, but $ouch$), and lately, Recordpower. Not really interested in Oneway, despite their reputation. I don't like the open back and I prefer a hex key.

Canada based Lee Valley sells Axminster, with free shipping to the USA. Here's the link

I bought a Axminster Evolution (SK114) from them several years ago...by far and away my favorite chuck brand.

Last edited:
I checked Lee Valley ... their prices are higher than from Axminster directly. I can only assume that Axminster's wholesale arrangements aren't the best. Chuck from Axminster: $215, shipping $12. From Lee Valley: $255, "free" shipping. The same pricing differences hold throughout the range of jaws (as well as other Axminster chucks).

I called Craft Supplies, as they still carry some Axminster items. No-go on the chucks, though. I also checked a few offshore (from the UK, that is) distributors ... Ireland, Spain, Italy, a few I can't recall. Prices are best from Axminster.

Like others, Axminister is a excellent company with excellent products. I have both the SK100 and SK114 chucks. I ordered the SK100 from Lee Valley and the SK114 from Axminister. I got rid of all my other chucks except my HTC125. I have the Axminister “C” jaws on the SK100 and the O’Donnell jaws on my SK114. I do have a few other specialty jaws for the Axminister chucks and I can use any Axminister jaw sets on either chuck.

I believe Axminster to be a superb company. Their reputation is second to none. My question relates entirely to international purchases and the Global-e relationship.

Global-e is an American Company, if your going to do business through them you are going to pay sales tax. That is how most business' here now work. I have bought all my Axminster stuff through Lee Valley as they do have a business presence here in the states and ship most from New York State.

I opened a support ticket with Axminster. They are contacting Global-e to see why FL sales taxes are being charged. FL is one of the dwindling states left that require some sort of physical presence in order to charge sales tax. A quick search didn't reveal any Global-e presence here, but who knows?

Bill,

I think there was a Federal court ruling a few months ago that changed the online sale tax collection rules for out of state companies. Now it’s a calculation of how many items you sell in the state or how much $ you collect.

I also know that in WA state, even if you don’t pay sales tax directly to the company you are still expected to report and pay that sales tax directly to the state (though I wonder how often that happens).

The days of not paying sales tax online are dwindling if not over.

PA is that way, report it if you didn't have to pay it (my wife does) but I have not had an instance in the last 6 months that I did not have to pay sales tax on the order.

Back