• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe mounted carving vise?

I vaguely recall seeing a vice which mounted to the banjo of a lathe and would hold a faceplate / chuck. It used a ball / socket set to allow (almost) infinite positioning. At the time I thought "that's nice but not for me", now I have a use for one. Will someone please refer me to that vise?

I think Trent Bosch has something like that; not sure it hooks to the lathe. I have one somewhere in my shop! Another tool purchase at the Symposium Trade Show......love that place, haha!

Simon Hope is no longer shipping to the US or Canada. He says because of insurance. You might be thinking of the Woodcut Pro-Mount Carving Stand. Axminister carries it and I guess others do also.

Last edited:
I have the one from Trent Bosch, it works quite well. It can be set into the banjo, mine also came with a wall/bench mounted bracket which is mounted to my desk.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I have one made by Veritas/Lee Valley with a 1" post for the banjo. I bought it at an estate sale 5-6 years ago. I searched Lee Valley and found the vise and adapters for faceplates and/or chucks, but none with posts for a banjo. Maybe you can call them and see if they have any with posts hanging around. I've only used it a few times and I recall it being a little high....especially when sitting on a stool.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/workshop/workbenches/vises/31172-veritas-carvers-vise

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...58760-veritas-lathe-chuck-face-plate-adapters

Last edited:
I vaguely recall seeing a vice which mounted to the banjo of a lathe and would hold a faceplate / chuck. It used a ball / socket set to allow (almost) infinite positioning. At the time I thought "that's nice but not for me", now I have a use for one. Will someone please refer me to that vise?

The only ball and socket I know of is the Wilton Power Arm Junior. Its $200 plus and you still need the chuck screw and the tool post for the banjo.

I got a few of the Power Arm's at auction for near nothing and made up a few. Get the one made by Trent Bosch as its just as good and a whole lot cheaper.

DSCF1427.JPG

Larry: I think that is what I remember, unfortunately I don't have the tools to make the missing parts (tool post mount, chuck mount).

Bill: I am cynical enough to suspect that everyone has a few vices, I know I do. But you are correct I either misspelled the work or the spelling corrector picked the wrong word. Sorry.

Has anyone used both the Best Wood Tools and Trent Bosch vise?

Don, excellent job on that set up! I did hear of one where a towing ball and hitch were used. Never saw any pictures though. Necessity is the mother of invention!

robo hippy

Don, excellent job on that set up! I did hear of one where a towing ball and hitch were used. Never saw any pictures though. Necessity is the mother of invention!

robo hippy
I never thought of using a tow ball but I would think they would have a flat spot on top that may interfere with some of the positions and the stud on the larger ones would be excessive. Using the 3" ball in conjunction with the 4 fingers gives me about 160 degrees of movement and the swivel joint helps to get the rest so if need be I can point the chuck almost straight down.

The woodcut Pro Mount can be used in a banjo - never used mine that way, but its made to do that. I use it on a bench stand; works very well

Back