• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grizzly G0800 Pendant

I would study the wiring diagram of the lathe and determine the number of conductors needed to wire all of the needed functions into the pendant.
Next determine the number of push buttons and selector switches needed and build the pendant or find one that already has the number of conductors and buttons installed.
You could most likely find one on the Grainger website or a well stocked electrical distribution wholesaler would have all of the components needed.
If you research the components needed you might also find them on eBay at a discount. You need to make sure you get the correct sized push buttons for the pendant being used.
Some of the pendants use OEM buttons and controls that are specific to the pendant, some manufacturers use a common 30mm or 22mm sized buttons and selectors
that work with specific contacts for each manufacturer (Square-D, Allen Bradley, GE, Cutler Hammer, Siemens, etc.) Selecting the correct contacts N/O and N/C that are needed
for the Start, Stop and Selector switch can be bit confusing when you look through some of the control catalogs. Most of the major manufacturers have their control catalog on the internet in pdf file format. Or you could just find an electrician to do the wiring and select the components for you.

The VFD specified by Grizzly for the G0800 is a Delta model VFD022E21A, which I looked up and printed a wiring diagram for. I have not checked the actual wiring from Grizzly yet but I can see that there are 3 general functions that need to be addressed: the first is applying power to the VFD which I am pretty sure is handled by the E-stop button on the panel, the second is start stop selection of forward or reverse and the third is speed setting. I recommend that you leave the power on function on the control panel but you could have an Emergency Stop on the pendant, how ever using the E-stop will disable the drive eliminating the the controlled deceleration. The forward and reverse plus the speed potentiometer (speed setting dial) can be duplicated on the pendant but it is necessary to have an additional switch to select between the control panel and the pendant.
I have a Grizzly lathe that came with a servo motor that was very under powered and the drive fried so I replaced it with a VFD and 3 phase motor and was able to control the VFD with the same switches on the control panel.
Let me know what you want to do and and I can prepare a a diagram and parts list.

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
I have a g800 and have been thinking about doing the same thing. I have a busy week coming up but will start some research as well on how to wire and parts to use. I’ll post on this thread if you are good with it. Thanks for the motivation

Don & Chris - thanks for your input. Although I've done some basic shop wiring in the past, doing the pendant sounds somewhat complex. Perhaps when I see the wiring diagram I'll see that it's more straightforward than it sounds. Happy to be a motivator.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
In case it helps: I don't know anything about this particular lathe, but one option might be to simply remove the existing control panel from the headstock, mount it in a suitable box, and wire that in with a long cable. Assumes that the control panel is removable.
I've done this on my PM3520B and Jet 1642. Described briefly here.

There are several video's on YouTube that show the process of adding a VFD to a lathe which details the wiring of the controls. One of these video's went into detail drawing the schematic for each of the input devices and detailed the interconnecting conductors for the controls. The E-stop function is the easiest to wire in a 2nd E-stop button in series on the pendant. If you want a full function pendant you will need a Remote/Auto selector switch with enough contacts to switch between the headstock controls and pendant controls. If you can locate another wiring schematic that utilizes a remote pendant you could study the drawing and replicate the switching logic with your lathe. If you want a full function pendant you would most likely need a pendant with (4) devices. (1) E-Stop, (1) Start Button or On/Off Selector switch, (1) Remote/Auto Selector Switch, (1) Potentiometer Speed Control. When selecting the pendant cord you should be able to use a smaller size conductor like a 16AWG SO cord which will make the overall diameter of the pendant cord smaller and easier to manage.

I have wired in some wireless E-Stop self powered piezo buttons on some of the equipment where I work. The E-Stop button has a small piezo generator that sends out a signal when the button is pushed and a receiver relay at the equipment cycles the power off. Square-D Model XB4R and XB5R these are 22mm devices.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBlr1RR9ogU

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
I was doing some research and it seems easy enough to build a pendant with the e-stop button, reset button and the speed dial. The e-stop and reset I should be able to wire up to work in parallel with the ones on the lathe. The speed dial cannot be run in parallel but I could wire a toggle switch on the main panel to select which speed knob you want to use. Do you see that as a useable setup? I need to pop the panel open on mine to see if there is a way to setup a remote RPM display but that looks to be more effort and $$. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Chris - my main goal in having the pendant is to have an e-stop readily accessible. On occasion, I'll be in a positioned whereby reaching for the main panel would be difficult, or hazardous. Having the forward/reverse switch and speed controller would be nice, whereas the digital readout of RPM is unnecessary. The Laguna 24/36 that I once had, has a toggle switch for using the pendant.

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
Looking at the wiring diagram for the main control buttons it would require an 8 position toggle switch to handle the e-stop, reset button, speed dial and forward/reverse button. Those 8PDT toggle switches just dont exist at a reasonable price (looks like $600+++). The first option would be to put some relays in and run as many positions as we would need but that would complicate this for most folks who are not familiar with relays, soldering, etc. My bigger concern is switching from the main panel to the pendant.... if we have the forward/reverse on the pendant and switch that over as well and say the pendants speed knob is at zero and its in the forward position. What if the main panel in reverse or the speed was at max. It could be a safety issue. I think the best bet is to keep the pendant to not include the forward/reverse so you can put it in the off position as you toggle between controls. That way we can then use a 6 position 6PDT switch and those are sub $20. Thoughts? Thanks

g0800 wiring.png

Chris - I agree; it's best to keep things as simple as possible. As I am not an electronics whiz, I'm not sure what your proposed setup would include other than the e-stop. E-stop + toggle switch, or e-stop + toggle switch + speed control?

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
I am thinking a single 6 position switch you would install on the main panel of the lathe. From there you would take the wires 1,2,3,6,7 & 8 from the above diagram and run them to the middle position of the switch. Then one toggle side of the switch you would wire back to the original buttons/switches on the main panel and then the other side of the toggle you run do a 6 wire cable that connects to the pendant and from there you hook up all the new buttons to that. I'll start a build thread with a bunch of pictures and a list of all the parts I used. Work is super busy right now so its going to be a week or two till I get around to ordering the parts though. It should be fairly simple enough for someone with minimal electrical experience to do. Thanks

I too have studied the diagrams for the Delta drive and the Grizzly. I recommend that you should not interfere with the panel mounted e-stop/ reset circuit due to the fact that it uses some "multi-step inputs MI3 & MI4" which require factory setting parameters and the speed setting should not be necessary in the remote pendant. The start and stop function could be accomplished with 2 momentary contact buttons and a contact output, which would require making a change to the to a parameter and require a 4 wire cord. The simplest would be a form of E-stop button that locks in the depressed position (removing the run signal) and would start by a twist to unlock. The local / remote selector for either method would be located in the pendant. The 2 button would be the safest because when switching to remote you would still have to push the stop button whereas if the twist lock button was left in the run position the drive would start as soon as remote was selected. In the diagram below the items in the box are everything needed in the pendant.DSC00535.JPG

Don - thanks for your input. Things are sounding/looking somewhat complex for me as I have no experience in electronics. I may be out of my league on this one as I don't want to risk frying something in the electronics. However, as I started the discussion, I'll certainly follow along as additional info comes in. Perhaps with additional input from you and others, I'll eventually gain clarity on how to accomplish this.

[QUOTE="Don Wattenhofer, post: ........................................................ would require making a change to the to a parameter.................................................................. . [/QUOTE]

I haven't followed all the details of this thread, but I noticed this mention of a parameter change.

I was given a Delta VFD out of a Grizzly lathe after Grizzly replaced the complete drive control system under warranty. What I found was the vfd's parameters are locked at the factory and cannot be changed without a secret password or by connecting to a computer with a special cable. Grizzly support does not know the password or any thing about unlocking the vfd parameters.

It's been awhile since I fooled with the Grizzly vfd, as I recall the only thing I did was to hook up a potentiometer to verify vfd was functioning.

[QUOTE="Don Wattenhofer, post: ........................................................ would require making a change to the to a parameter.................................................................. .

I haven't followed all the details of this thread, but I noticed this mention of a parameter change.

I was given a Delta VFD out of a Grizzly lathe after Grizzly replaced the complete drive control system under warranty. What I found was the vfd's parameters are locked at the factory and cannot be changed without a secret password or by connecting to a computer with a special cable. Grizzly support does not know the password or any thing about unlocking the vfd parameters.

It's been awhile since I fooled with the Grizzly vfd, as I recall the only thing I did was to hook up a potentiometer to verify vfd was functioning.[/QUOTE]

David Roseman has the VFD parameters, codes, etc and has a paper on the settings for the G0766 “M” series Delta inverter, and added a braking resistor to his. He can be reached on the Grizzly Green Monster Group [GGMG] over at SMC. Look under the community tab, click groups, then GGMG....David has been very helpful to those who want to unlock the Delta inverter, and has shared this info with several turners. He also owns a G0733 18/47, and I’m not sure if he also has that information....perhaps he does.

[QUOTE="Don Wattenhofer, post: ........................................................ would require making a change to the to a parameter.................................................................. .

It's been awhile since I fooled with the Grizzly vfd, as I recall the only thing I did was to hook up a potentiometer to verify vfd was functioning.[/QUOTE]
You could be right although I currently have 6 VFD's of different brand then Delta that all have the output contact that comes from the factory with the setting "malfunction indicator", that can be reconfigured to indicate operation, which I have used as a hold contact as in my diagram. The VFD's that I have show methods of starting using the contact as I have shown with the required parameter setting. The online Delta manual for the VFD listed in the Grizzly parts list is where I printed out a connection diagram for the VFD. The contact on the Delta diagram has 3 terminals marked RA, RB ,RC is referred to as (multi-function contact output, refer to chapter 2 for details, Factory setting is malfunction indicator) and the Grizzly diagram shows the terminals with out any connections. The parameters chart in the Delta manual gives the available functions for Parameter 3.00 and that includes "operating", however I did not look into the programming method.

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
I too have studied the diagrams for the Delta drive and the Grizzly. I recommend that you should not interfere with the panel mounted e-stop/ reset circuit due to the fact that it uses some "multi-step inputs MI3 & MI4" which require factory setting parameters and the speed setting should not be necessary in the remote pendant. The start and stop function could be accomplished with 2 momentary contact buttons and a contact output, which would require making a change to the to a parameter and require a 4 wire cord. The simplest would be a form of E-stop button that locks in the depressed position (removing the run signal) and would start by a twist to unlock. The local / remote selector for either method would be located in the pendant. The 2 button would be the safest because when switching to remote you would still have to push the stop button whereas if the twist lock button was left in the run position the drive would start as soon as remote was selected. In the diagram below the items in the box are everything needed in the pendant.View attachment 33196

Don, I don't want to mess with the VFD at all. I want to keep this as simple as possible while still having a remote pendant so when I am working on that side of the lathe I have easy access to adjust the speed or more importantly stop the lathe if I have a problem. Looking at the Grizzly wiring diagram of the buttons and popping open the panel on my G0800 it looks to be simple enough. See my quick & crude ms paint type diagram below. The e-stop switch is a normally open switch that latches closed when pressed (verified with multimeter). For this switch in the pendant I would wire it in parallel to the e-stop in the main controls. That way if either of them are pressed the lathe will stop as the VFD will see the signal back on wire #2. The only thing with wiring the e-stops in parallel is you will need to make sure both are twisted to reset them before you can restart the lathe but I don't see that as a big problem. The reset switch is also a normally open switch but its a momentary close when you press it. Again as with the e-stop I would wire the pendant reset switch in parallel with the reset switch in the man control panel. So if either reset switch is pressed the VFD will see the signal back on wire #3. Finally the speed dial. This one cannot be wired in parallel as its a 5k pot. For this I planned on using an on/on 3PDT switch to allow you to toggle between using the speed dial in the main control panel and the pendant. I am not an electrical engineer by trade but had done a lot of electronic projects over the years and I don't see any risk in building a setup like that but I wanted to open it up to you and others to poke holes in it. I ordered most of the parts the other night and just need to find a housing and some shielded wire as Delta (the VFD manufacture) recommends it to make sure you dont have any interference. I'll do some searching for those this weekend. Thanks!
g0800 wiring.pngimage0 (002).jpeg 2020-05-01_9-55-22.png

Chris -
eweingarden
The way you have laid it out may not work because you would be relying on the remote E-Stop to restart. I have a G0698 that has a very similar control panel and the forward stop Reverse switch must be in the stop position before the drive will start. The For Stop Rev switch as listed is a 3 position switch so it would be easy to test to see if, when left in run position, it will restart with the the e-stop.
If it the restart works I would still recommend that the local remote selector have have a DPDT function to switch wires 2 and 3 and also the wire 7 on the speed pot should be the only switching needed there for a total switching to be TPDT . The the buttons can be direct duplicates and the selector can be 2 or 3 position unit similar to the forward /Reverse switch but With 3 contact blocks (each contact block needs 1 NO & 1 NC contact). Google ABB and you should be able to find a dealer for all of the operators and a plastic pendant box to house them in.

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
Don good catch on the fwd/rev switch. I totally forgot I need to put it in off to reset after e-stop. Its just by habit now a days and I don't think about the steps when using the lathe. I also don't normally use the e-stop when I am working on the lathe. My normal motion is to turn the speed dial to off and let the lathe stop that way. If I am going to walk away from the lathe for any bit of time I hit the fwd/rev switch to off and when I am done for the day I unplug the lathe. Not sure if that's the same motion other folks are doing or not.

So I see two possibilities for the remote pendant setup....

Option #1 a remote pendant with an e-stop button and a speed dial along with a toggle switch in the main panel to select which speed dial to use. No need for restart button on the pendant as you need to flip the fwd/rev switch to off on the main control to reset after an e-stop.

Option #2 same as #1 but the toggle switch also switches over the fwd/rev button so the pendant would have e-stop, speed dial, fwd/off/rev and reset button.

For how I use my lathe option #1 is perfect. Its a simpler setup and less parts. eweingarden is that how you run your lathe as well?

Thanks!

Chris - I almost always use just the speed dial for starting and stopping the lathe. I don't like starting the lathe with the speed dial already turned up. In addition, I read somewhere that using the forward/reverse/off switch for start and stops does not allow for the electronic brake to get properly set. I really don't know if that's accurate information or not. I'm also in the habit of hitting the e-stop button when I'm done for the day, waiting a few minutes, and then unplugging it.

Chris - I almost always use just the speed dial for starting and stopping the lathe. I don't like starting the lathe with the speed dial already turned up. In addition, I read somewhere that using the forward/reverse/off switch for start and stops does not allow for the electronic brake to get properly set. I really don't know if that's accurate information or not. I'm also in the habit of hitting the e-stop button when I'm done for the day, waiting a few minutes, and then unplugging it.
All VFD's have accel and Decel ( decel is the electronic brake and if you really want to stop fast a braking resistor can be installed to absorb the excess energy). The drive should be stopped properly so that it is not holding at zero speed and that brings up another parameter minimum speed, that all VFD's have. The way that the G0800 is wired is not a true E-Stop because it does not interrupt the power source, instead it just tells the drive to stop so pulling the plug at the days end is probably the smart thing to do.
Now for the pendant: Assuming that the multi-function contact works the same as other VFD's then the pendant could be reduced to a combo start stop button and an identical button would need to be mounted at the headstock. The 2 start buttons would be parallel and the stop buttons would be in series such that either one of the start stop stations could be used without a selector switch and the drive would run in which ever direction is selected on the existing selector switch. If you still want a speed pot on the pendant you would then need a potentiometer and a selector switch on the pendant. This would be a simpler safer method and you would not be using a selector switch to start and stop. Let me know if this is the way you want to go then I can pick out the parts and make a connection drawing.

Ed I did think of one possible problem and that is the remote possibility that some gremlin could turn on the lathe from the opposite position.
After all this it appears that it may require an optional digital interface to change that one parameter so I sent a message to Delta for verification and will wait for their reply.

Back