• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic 2020?

Hello Members, anybody spent anytime on a Powermatic 2020 lathe? Considering a upgrade and limited space makes me want to seriously consider one. Live remotely in MT and don't have access to looking at that model. Appreciate any input, thanks.

I have the PM2020 and I really love it. I bought it because I don't have room for the larger models in my garage/shop. I took a turning class at CSUSA and came to consider how my small Jet lathe was too small. I was bought it from them, and couldn't be happier. Doesn't come with a remote on/off switch, but I haven't seen a driving need for that. Has plenty of power, is well machined, and does EVERYTHING I need it to do.

Oh, yes. I also bought the Lift, Lock and Roll mobility system. Also very happy. I did have a problem with it not properly supporting the weight, but the company made a change in the design and the problem was solved.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
My good friend had to sell his 3520B a.few.years ago. Now he is back to turning and purchased the 2020 and loves it.

Thanks for the input fellow turners. I guess one concern is the shorter bed length when using a 20" tool for hollowing etc.! I know that tail stock is heavy and perhaps a swing away arm might be a solution? Anymore thoughts considerations appreciated. Hard to pass up the 15% discount through April! Be safe out there!

One more thought. I have read there are some issues with the holding power of the banjo and tool rest locks. A design issue I believe was improved with the C versions that came out on the longer models! Anybody? Thanks again....

I know that tail stock is heavy and perhaps a swing away arm might be a solution?

I have a swing away feature for my lathe (another brand) and love it. That is a feature I would seek to have on any new lathe in the future, regardless of bed length.

If you are thinking of turning hollow forms you should also consider how you might mount a hollowing rig when evaluating bed length.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Thanks for the input fellow turners. I guess one concern is the shorter bed length when using a 20" tool for hollowing etc.! I know that tail stock is heavy and perhaps a swing away arm might be a solution? Anymore thoughts considerations appreciated. Hard to pass up the 15% discount through April! Be safe out there!
The swing away helps a lot with the tailstock. Certainly gets it out of the way.

not sure what you mean by the 20” tool for hollowforms.
1. The limit for the height of a hollow form for handheld tools is where you can position the tool rest.
Taking away 4” for the chuck or faceplate, and 3” for the banjo, You can certainly do 12” deep hollow forms and few people do deeper ones. I would not recommend cantilevering the tool rest off the bed for hollowing.

2. if you use the Jamieson system, you can by a steel extension for the backrest or make a simple one from 2x6- bolt one end to the ways bolt the backrest to the other end.

3. I have used both the Bosch stabilizer and the Simon Hope hollowing systems on the ONEWAY 2416.
Need part of the bed for both the banjo and the hollowing system. Can do a 10” deep form for sure although some shapes may not work.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
One more thought. I have read there are some issues with the holding power of the banjo and tool rest locks. A design issue I believe was improved with the C versions that came out on the longer models! Anybody? Thanks again....

On the C Powermatic went back to the split nuts/ pinch nuts they used on the first Powermatic.
It is solid lock on the tool post.

Ferdie,
Powermatic is now listing the 2020 as 2020B. The schematic shows the banjo to clamp the same as on the 3520B. The banjo and clamp on my 3520 work fine most of the time, but every now and then, the tool rest will rotate when you don't want it to. Mostly it's annoying, occasionally it rubs/grinds the wood you're working on, and at least in theory, it could be a safety issue.

Since my 3520 is just a wee bit too big for my little shop, I've been keeping tabs on the release of the 2020C. I had assumed Powermatic would have released it by now, but instead they've just released the 2014. The 2020C will probably not be out for a little while, then. I suppose you could ask the seller to swap out the B banjo for a C banjo, possibly at additional cost. Obviously, Amazon won't do that for you, so it might depend on where you're going to purchase. You could also contact Powermatic and ask them about making the swap.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The new Powermatic 2014 was released the first of April and is included in the 15% off sale through the end of April. I had a prototype in my shop for several weeks and it is a well made lathe. Features a moveable headstock, remote on/off switch, 1 horsepower motor and runs on 110 volt power.

The new Powermatic 2014 was released the first of April and is included in the 15% off sale through the end of April. I had a prototype in my shop for several weeks and it is a well made lathe. Features a moveable headstock, remote on/off switch, 1 horsepower motor and runs on 110 volt power.

Hi Jeff, or anyone with PM2014 knowledge- I also suffer from a small shop and would like to sell my 2003 PM 3520A and replace with EITHER a 2020 or the new 2014. Two questions- what is a fair price for a lightly used (I've lived overseas for most of the lathe's life and so only turn on it summers and winter holidays) 3520A? Second how did you like the 2014 for turning? My overseas lathe is a Jet 1440, so I assume the power of the new 1HP 2014 would feel similar, though the moveable controller would be much nicer. Your thoughts?

Not sure what a fair price is for the 3520A but a guy in our chapter just sold a used one that was in great shape for $2000.00 I really liked turning on the new Powermatic 2014. It had plenty of power and was very stable. You can get an optional bed extension if you want to turn longer. The moveable power box also has a built in index feature that I liked.

Not sure what a fair price is for the 3520A but a guy in our chapter just sold a used one that was in great shape for $2000.00 I really liked turning on the new Powermatic 2014. It had plenty of power and was very stable. You can get an optional bed extension if you want to turn longer. The moveable power box also has a built in index feature that I liked.
I have been thinking about adding the 2014 to my shop as a second lathe. How long have you had it?

Back