• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Symposium Cancellation Ripple Effect...

I was just informed that our Educational Opportunity Grant for the Chicago Waldorf School has been cancelled by the AAW member services. Previously my proposal had been accepted and we were awarded 2 Jet lathe packages. That was big and exciting news for a little school, and we added turning classes for the fall curriculum.

I know our problem is small compared to other losses that are affecting our turning community. It's a bummer any way you look at it.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I know you are disappointed. I’m sorry you won’t be able expand your classes.

for those that don’t know - The EOG grants are funded solely by the annual auction at the symposium of member donated pieces.
Also the pop auction which funds various awards and encouragement to artist and emerging artist won’t be held.
Recipients of Other symposium events like empty bowls and beads of courage will lose out.
Popular programs for the blind and the Wounded Warriors won’t be held.

Thanks Al, I didn't know how the funding was sourced. And as I said, I know that our disappointment and loss is minor compared to the loss of many others.

Cancellation of many events will have a big impact on the overall economy. National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP) hosts two national tournaments in May- Louisville, KY and one in the western US. We are talking about several thousand kids, parents, family, friends who show up to participate and watch. Motels, restaurants, gas stations, etc. will have a tremendous loss of income.

I was just informed that our Educational Opportunity Grant for the Chicago Waldorf School has been cancelled by the AAW member services. Previously my proposal had been accepted and we were awarded 2 Jet lathe packages. That was big and exciting news for a little school, and we added turning classes for the fall curriculum.

I know our problem is small compared to other losses that are affecting our turning community. It's a bummer any way you look at it.
I would suggest contacting Jet directly and see if they can assist the school in anyway. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

It is my understanding that the POP auction will take place in an online fashion later this summer.
There may also be an online EOG auction later in the summer or early fall.
All subject to change, I am sure.

May not help up there but here in Mississippi there is an Arts Council and they award grants based on project or learning needs . If you have something similar at state level you could try that.
Arts groups are trying to help full time artists survive. Not sure a couple of lathes to a school should take priority over helping put food on artist's tables. One of my best friends survives by traveling to art shows all over the United States. All his spring shows have been cancelled. He hasn't earned a penny since February. His wife is also an artist. They are looking financial ruin right in the face right now.

Arts groups are trying to help full time artists survive. Not sure a couple of lathes to a school should take priority over helping put food on artist's tables. One of my best friends survives by traveling to art shows all over the United States. All his spring shows have been cancelled. He hasn't earned a penny since February. His wife is also an artist. They are looking financial ruin right in the face right now.

We had a club member get a grant for 500 for supplies. Another got 5000 for himself and student for doing classes

Cancelling the AAW 2020 International Symposium in Louisville has had a major ripple affect that has not only affected the AAW, members and demonstrators but also has had a major impact on the AAW large and small vendor partners. The EOG lathe grant packages are donated by various vendors for the symposium youth turning program. With the symposium being cancelled those donations of equipment are no longer available.

Now that woodturning clubs are having amazing results with virtual meetings, just imagine how amazing those virtual symposiums will be.
All of the people that are normally involved in a symposium could participate from anywhere in the world.
Manufacturers could put on product demonstrations from their own shops.
Demonstrators could participate from anywhere in the world in their own shops.
Committee's could hold meetings with all other members remotely from anywhere in the world.
Attendees could click a mouse button on their desk and be instantly transported to the virtual symposium.
No missed flights, no layovers, no lost luggage, no expensive taxi rides, no expensive lodging costs, no sore feet and no COVID-19.

Now that woodturning clubs are having amazing results with virtual meetings, just imagine how amazing those virtual symposiums will be.
All of the people that are normally involved in a symposium could participate from anywhere in the world.
Manufacturers could put on product demonstrations from their own shops.
Demonstrators could participate from anywhere in the world in their own shops.
Committee's could hold meetings with all other members remotely from anywhere in the world.
Attendees could click a mouse button on their desk and be instantly transported to the virtual symposium.
No missed flights, no layovers, no lost luggage, no expensive taxi rides, no expensive lodging costs, no sore feet and no COVID-19.
I think that would be great. You would have a chance to virtually go every year. Get in on the deals at the shows. Etc etc. Demos are getting better virtually. Now not as good as hands on, but think of the number people that would be able to attend the show and participate virtually! I think they should have tried to pull it off this year. I realize extremely short notice but everybody is sitting at home!

I think that would be great. You would have a chance to virtually go every year. Get in on the deals at the shows. Etc etc. Demos are getting better virtually. Now not as good as hands on, but think of the number people that would be able to attend the show and participate virtually! I think they should have tried to pull it off this year. I realize extremely short notice but everybody is sitting at home!

Glenn I think that has been brought up here before but remember the wheels here do not move fast at the top . The Symposium takes a year to plan and get lined up. I am like you I think it is a good idea but just not enough time to get it off the ground for June. Maybe September??

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Sorry not my thing. I want real people contact not on a video screen. Hope that's not the wave of the future.
Not everyone can travel, especially from Hawaii. It can be an extra offering for those that can't go to the symposiums. The expense and time for us to get to Louisville are just too much for most of the club members here. Of course most people would prefer to go but is just not possible.

Of course there are a lot of overhead expenses involved with conferences and they are typically major fundraisers for the organizations that sponsor and host. You depend on the on-site activities (attendees) to help pay for the overhead and make some money for the AAW. The hotels depend on the revenue from in-person attendees too. Food/beverage/banquet/etc. If you start offering remote access to certain parts of the conference, that's another expense for the organization (logistics of teleconferencing and folks calling and saying they can't log-in, etc.). Sounds like a nightmare when the video stops working. Plus those participating remotely would have to assume to pay as much as if they were there in-person, Some remote attendees might not think that is fair, but teleconferencing increases costs for the AAW and, has been mentioned, remote attendees would be saving travel expenses.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
The simple view of AAWs budget
Income- 66% member dues, 33% symposium
Expenses - 33% staff & headquarters, 33% publications sent to members , 33%symposium

Providing a meaningful Symposium experience online is a big undertaking.
12 demonstrations in each of the 11 rotations, trade show, instant galley, juried shows, receptions, banquettes, youth classes, special interest groups, annual members meeting, empty bowls, Beads of courage, thousands of personal interactions among members, ....

each symposium has 200-300 AAW member volunteers running it.

one year AAW planned to stream 1 demo each rotation period. insufficient band width at the facility became a barrier. The AAW has done the reverse a few times where a panelist unable to travel participated in the symposium via the Internet.

Over the next twelve months most woodturning clubs will become proficient with virtual meetings using various methods, this should provide the talent base to pull off a virtual symposium if they start planning ahead with the concept. A growing number of woodturning demonstrators are utilizing this technology to provide training and demo's remotely, each one of these professionals could coordinate with one another and develop next years demonstrations. Some of these demonstrations could even be pre-recorded allowing for quality production and editing to eliminate day of technical difficulties, demonstrators could then provide audio content during the live show. A normal live presentation usually has the noise of the lathe running and the demonstrator has to talk over the sound of the lathe and other equipment used during the demonstration, a pre-recorded demo allows editing of the video and the demonstrator can focus on the audio content and provide detailed instruction with each step taking place on the equipment during the presentation, something they can not do when done live at a club meeting or live remote.

Over the next twelve months most woodturning clubs will become proficient with virtual meetings using various methods, this should provide the talent base to pull off a virtual symposium if they start planning ahead with the concept. A growing number of woodturning demonstrators are utilizing this technology to provide training and demo's remotely, each one of these professionals could coordinate with one another and develop next years demonstrations. Some of these demonstrations could even be pre-recorded allowing for quality production and editing to eliminate day of technical difficulties, demonstrators could then provide audio content during the live show. A normal live presentation usually has the noise of the lathe running and the demonstrator has to talk over the sound of the lathe and other equipment used during the demonstration, a pre-recorded demo allows editing of the video and the demonstrator can focus on the audio content and provide detailed instruction with each step taking place on the equipment during the presentation, something they can not do when done live at a club meeting or live remote.
So we could have pre recorded demos, where the maker is available at the time if is playing to answer questions and comments as video is playing. I’m sure something could be done to save this years symposium. Might not be now but maybe September. A mini version of this years event all online! A pop auction, demos galore. Manufacturers offering deals online during event. Etc etc. It is possible. A lot of work has been put into lining up this years event. Why not pull together all the people demoing And get them to make a video up.

I would miss the traveling element...going somwhere that I haven't been, nosing around town, finding interesting eateries. I have traveled all of my life, became aware of the world around me at a very early age while living in an oil camp in Venezuela. No, not child labor, my father was a microbiologist and ran the lab at the camp hospital.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
I would miss the traveling element...going somwhere that I haven't been, nosing around town, finding interesting eateries. I have traveled all of my life, became aware of the world around me at a very early age while living in an oil camp in Venezuela. No, not child labor, my father was a microbiologist and ran the lab at the camp hospital.

That must have been a terrific time. Made me think of our trip to an oil town in equador.

In 1989 we took a trip with the Nature Conservancy to the cuyabano flood forest. On the way we stopped in Lago Agrio, an oil town, It was like a Wild West town mud streets and raised wooden sidewalk. Much of the town had tarps for walls and roofs.
Our group got to cuyabano in 3 big dugout canoes with 25hp outboards. The accommodations were a thatched roofed dining area and tents for 3 nights.
Met a shaman on the river wearing a Texaco hat.

I lived in Anaco, Venezuela, Socony-Mobil Campo Norte, 1953-58. The camp was like a Texas country club, including a nice club house that featured new movies, live big band jazz, barbecues, swimming pool, golf course. My father was VP of the club, in charge of entertainment...he'd put in a request, and the oil company took care of it. The airport had a grass field at the time, so PAA flew DC3's there. We travelled from NY via the Grace Line Santa Paula and Santa Rosa ships, first class. We also did one trip on the Alcoa Corsair. Although quite young at the time, I have a photographic memory, and still see those times vividly. Now if I can only remember who I am...

Interruptions occur to internet but with fiber it is almost becoming a thing of the past. Just upgraded and speed went up from 45 to 1000. So all this makes virtual meetings more and more feasible from the technical aspects there remains a lot of planning to be done.

Virtual meeting hold promise for situations like this, and for those for whom travel would be hard.
A make do for now.
I do video calls all the time for work. The magic was gone long ago.
The prospect of a 'virtual symposium' does absolutely nothing for me.
I value the actual, physical experience, of a symposium. Give me hands on anyday, I will wait a year if I have to.
Hopefully the VA symposium in November will happen.

@Mike Johnson, @Glenn L. I'm not disagreeing with what your saying but I'm not really understanding the benefits of having a virtual symposium/conference. As has been mentioned the purpose of a conference is to bring people together to share in the comraderie of the total experience. This can never be duplicated in a virtual setting. Banquets, networking, trade show, kids learning to turn, checking out the gallery, ......can't be accomplished without being there to join in the fun.

I agree there is a place for virtual demonstrations depending on the circumstances, like COVID-19, or perhaps the demonstrator lives too far away and/or an attendee just can't logistically belong to a club due to living too far away.

If you are after having demonstrators record their trade, that already seems available through YouTube,etc. Emiliano and others already do virtual demos so why not get permission to log into their demos if that's what you're trying to accomplish? Seems like with the crisis going on the virtual demonstations might be shared, if logistically possible. I'm not sure what the limitations are for numbers of attendees for the current virtual demos clubs are organizing. Just my 2-cents.

I don’t see any advantages to a virtual symposium. Virtual club meetings are a stretch but better than nothing. Getting to see the demos see the chips fly nothing is better than being there. The internet is probably the biggest innovation in Woodturning but nothing beats being with fellow turners and swapping war stories. If a virtual world of turning is waiting at the end of the tunnel, count me out that’s my .02 cents.

Back