• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

NRS angles and details

Having read many discussions on Negative Rake Scrapers...
Having watched knowledgeable demonstrators do amazing things with them...
Having tried various configurations with limited success...
The following questions are asked:

Does the included angle need to be less than 90 degrees and why/why not?

What "top angle/bottom angle" do you prefer and why?
Do all of your NRS have this same grind, if not why?

How do you raise a burr and how long does it last?

Finally, has anyone tried to raise the burr by grinding upside down with the handle up and edge down?

Thanks everyone for considering this and sharing your information and opinions. Any pics and drawings would be greatly appreciated (JKJ), as some of us are slow learners.

Thanks Reed. Didn't read it closely enough and then promptly forgot some of it. Just read it again...lot of information there.

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Bill, sorry for the delayed reply. I understand that the included angle needs to be less than 90 degrees so that you can establish a good burr when sharpening. I took one of the thick single edge scrapers and created a two-sided negative rake scraper. It took a lot of grinding, but the initial work was done on my old shop grinder (lots of stops to cool down the metal). As to the angles, the top angle on my NRS is the 'steepest' angle and the bottom angle matches the grind angle for my roughing gouge. That way I already have the grinding ramp set to a very useful angle and can do touch-up grinding on the NRS frequently. My slow speed grinding setup is right behind me when I turn, so it is easy to turn around and give the NRS a touch-up. Here's an image of my NRS (one of my favorite tools).

Attachments

• NRS image.jpg
    NRS image.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 52
Back