• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I'm not sure of the type of wood....

I turned this chunk of wood the other day; very figured,somewhat easy to turn and sand. I'm thinking it is some kind of fruit wood . I live in the Olympic mountain range, so I believe that is where it came from. I found it at a friends house on a pallet of wood chunks they were saving for turning, but never got into it. She did not remember where it came from. It started out as a split for firewood quartered piece.
DSC03526.jpg DSC03531.jpg

From where you are and the look of the piece, I’d say its probably a very nice chunk of figured big leaf maple. Some people have very elegant firewood...

Like Jeff said, looks like BLM. Rather soft, but polishes up nicely. That type of figure is common on bigger trees, and they do get big out here.

robo hippy

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I agree, looks like figured BLM. Either 'curly' or 'fiddleback' (fiddleback is the term often used if the figure is more extreme than curly). Also see a little 'quilted' figure in there. QM is one my favorites!

I only have this piece with the bark on it. It seems to be too light in color and the texture is not the same as local maple......it also has a sweet smell to it.
IMG_6324.JPG IMG_6325.JPG IMG_6326.JPG

If the

if there’s more of it, I can be there in about 4 hours...oh yeah, ferry trips reduced to ‘necessary only’. Ii’m seriously running low on turning stock, would that qualify?
I have enough left for a pen! Come on over.....with your bubble boy suit of course!

It's one of those things I guess; You'd have to be holding it in your hand. I guess I should get a good smooth end grain cut, then photograph that.

Back