• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Video scope for hollowing rig

I am upgrading my computer from an old Lenovo desktop to a new Dell Allienware Auroa R10. The old Lenovo crashes 4 or 5 times daily and I don't want to reinstall everything and check the hard drive for lost sectors so I bought a new one.

I would like to use the old machine to do video for my Jamieson Hollowing system. I have an endoscope and will use the old Dell monitor for a display. My concern is wood dust.

The environment in my garage work shop gets dusty when I am working out there. I do use the blower from an old A/C unit to blow things out during warm weather. How would you protect a desktop PC in this situation? I was thinking about building a dust enclosure with a fan and HEPA filter. If I did this would you use induced draft or forced draft? Anything else you have tried or can think of?

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I am upgrading my computer from an old Lenovo desktop to a new Dell Allienware Auroa R10. The old Lenovo crashes 4 or 5 times daily and I don't want to reinstall everything and check the hard drive for lost sectors so I bought a new one.

I would like to use the old machine to do video for my Jamieson Hollowing system. I have an endoscope and will use the old Dell monitor for a display. My concern is wood dust.

The environment in my garage work shop gets dusty when I am working out there. I do use the blower from an old A/C unit to blow things out during warm weather. How would you protect a desktop PC in this situation? I was thinking about building a dust enclosure with a fan and HEPA filter. If I did this would you use induced draft or forced draft? Anything else you have tried or can think of?

If this is just a flat screen monitor that you are re-purposing, there should be no problem with dust.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I am also interested in this. Interested in seeing who is using boroscopes...

Since I don't get any dust when hollowing, that is not a concern. After that I shut down the laptop and put it in a kitchen size garbage bag and put it back on the shelf. I use an endoscope camera as well.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Richard, Please post the details on what you have, and how it is hooked together.

I have a old desktop in my shop for ,maybe 2-3 years that I use for music. I do blow it out with canned air and finally the right channel on the sound card gave out but it still works. It is maybe 12 feet from the lathe. I would suggest maybe put the computer the other side of shop and run cables. Have not tried but covering the computer with old sheet may also help. Just remember heat is worse on computers than anything else.

I suspect that if you set up the laptop only when using the camera/hollowing rig, blow it off when done and put it away, it will be fine.

Just a suggestion - depends on the camera used, but you might find an old vga flatscreen monitor pretty cheap, and connect the camera to it. I used a signal converter that was < $20 to connect to a vga monitor. Could end up with a larger screen and easier mounting vs a laptop.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I suspect that if you set up the laptop only when using the camera/hollowing rig, blow it off when done and put it away, it will be fine.

Just a suggestion - depends on the camera used, but you might find an old vga flatscreen monitor pretty cheap, and connect the camera to it. I used a signal converter that was < $20 to connect to a vga monitor. Could end up with a larger screen and easier mounting vs a laptop.

That is what I have, and I liked it up until the camera gave up the ghost. Looking at options, and a boroscope seems like it is best. Just want to get others’ experiences.

Kind regards,
Rich

Disclaimer first: I have not hollowed on my lathe yet.

But looking to start and so am trying to decide between the Lyle Jamieson or Trent Bosch Hollowing systems.

My initial plans were to use my old MacBook Pro, but after watching a few YouTube videos, I decided to go with a very inexpensive CCTV monitor and camera.

My setup.
Hope this helps a little.

I use an endoscope like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-Snake-E...808608&hash=item4693acb5a0:g:1RgAAOSw91tecz0w. There are countless models and they are updated frequently. It plugs into an old laptop (or phone), which does get dusty but seems to be holding up OK after several years. I think my version of Windows will quit before the laptop's hardware. Make sure you get one that has a focal distance of ~4 cm to infinite. My first endoscope did not focus sharply on the cutting bit, which is ~14 inches from the camera.

In terms of hollowing rigs, both the Jamieson and Bosch systems would do fine. Note that the Bosch system is meant to hollow off the end of the lathe, where the Jamieson can also hollow from the side. So your lathe may dictate which one is preferred.

Back