• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Used lathe assessment

Ok I'm longwinded.
tl;dr;
Does a 1997 ownway 2036 have the same features as a 2020 and is it got more life in it or will it have problems. And how much to you think it would cost to change the bearings and upgrade the motor.

Hi, I almost hate to post this here because I'm sure it happens all the time, but as usual I'm torn and don't know what to do.
I am eventually, either now or maybe in 6 months in the market for a new lathe. I have an old 12" that has lots of character, but is just under powered and sized. I've had my eye on the Laguna 1836 for ~$2500
However, I found this used lathe for sale, I'd post it but theres no data just a pic and it'll probably be a dead link before long.
The lathe is a 1997 Oneway 2036, 1.5 hp, no stainless steal ways, original ( probably the noisy kind ) bearings. On owner, retiree, so not professional use but not light use probably. It comes with 24" extension, Outboard extension, extra banjo and tool rest. Asking price is $4000. ( I got all that info besides the price from a phone call ). Seller received lathe in trade from son of original owner who inherited it.
I suspect I could get him down a bit, but it's still pretty far above the price of the laguna. I know oneway lathes are great and last forever, but this one is some 23 years old. I have an old lathe and I really can't handle a new bag of problems. Granted my lathe is 70+ years old but things ain't made like they used to.
A couple of things I can see needing to do is a) replace bearings which means sending the spindle to one way to replace them ( I just replaced the bearings on my 1950 lathe and I almost had to shoot the thing in the head ) and b) upgrade the motor. I don't know what would be involved with that.
I don't need the 24" extension but the outboard is pretty sweet.
Any thoughts and/or experiences would be appreciated,
R

is it ie within 100 miles?

is it possible to get a Turner from maybe an Austin club to evaluate the lathe with u

turning it on is a must.....take large chunk to put between centers

agree with u only 1/3 off for basic oneway lathe....the extension and other stuff should be greatly reduced

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Ditto what Al said. I know of a Oneway that a friend had that was at least that old. I would suggest simply calling Oneway and ask some questions. They are great people.

Absolutely no comparison between a Laguna and a Oneway. The Oneway is far superior, from the torsional stability, bearings, up to the banjo clamping methods. I own a 1998 2436. It runs like the day I bought it new, still original bearings and belt. I've paid for it at least 2 times over selling my work. Those bearings will last a lifetime or two for hobby woodturning. Also no comparison between the bearings in a 12" 1950 lathe. Oneway has 4 bearings in that head, it's built like a tank. Oneway lathes aren't built like they used to make lathes, it's made better. 1950 lathes were made to turn spindles and an occasional bowl, Oneways are made to turn bowls every day of the week. My bed rails look great, no need for stainless unless you ignore them when you get done turning wet wood. No need to upgrade the motor unless you go into production with 20" bowls. I do have the 2hp but for 36" work on the out board low extension I need it. 1 1/2 is plenty. It's worth every penny of $4,000.

Last edited:
Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Call Oneway. I did 6 months ago, and the owner was straight with me on how little has changed, and what I might check for on a similar era lathe. I didn't realize it was Oneway's owner until after the call. They stand behind their lathes and everything they make, and are there to help. Amazing company.

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
Unless you know the bearings to be bad, they don't need to be changed. Lathe bearings rarely go bad and Oneway are top of the line. And the motor is plenty for almost anyone, they just don't believe it. I had Oneway #11 and it had a 1-1/2 hp motor-never wished for more. But then my Woodfast had a 1 hp and my other lathes less than that.

John

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
My lathe is a Oneway 2436, 3hp. I bought it used in 2002, paid $4,000 for it. It was made in 1997, and is serial # 713 or 714. I went full-time in 2004, and have done absolutely nothing in the way of serious maintenance; bearings and belt are still the original. I clean the bed after turning wet wood, including the bottom of the tailstock and banjo. I have tightened the banjo lock down arm a couple times, but that's it.

Back