• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Saguaro

Living in Arizona, I have a few dead saguaro cactus in my yard, and I was curious if anyone had worked with it before? Or if anyone knows of a site, explaining what kind of prep is required to work with saguaro?

I've done quite a few cholla projects, got a bunch of it lying around the yard as well, but was hoping I could do something unique or interesting with the saguaro. Still has the skin and needles, it's been down for a couple of years...

Joe S.

Attachments

• saguaro.png
    saguaro.png
    604.8 KB · Views: 56
OK here is a question (maybe a dumb one) why would you need to soak a cactus in cactus juice?

Cactus Juice is a brand of resin used to stabilize wood.

Anyways, I did cut it open, and even though it's been dead for several years, it's still meaty inside. A lot of flesh to cut to get to the ribs, or the skeleton. More effort than I'm wanting to put forth right now...

OK regarding my dumb question I was just being a Smart A, which I am good at, so I did some research and it seams that the material to be stabilized must be dried and the "meat" would probably be full of moisture.
My suggestion would be to make a lawn sand box ornament until nature turns it into a bunch of sticks, which probably won't be good for anything.

Joe,
I find what you're contemplating fascinating. Is there anybody out there that has ever turned saquaro? I googled Saguaro sculpture and found plenty of metal items - nothing using the actual material.
Look at https://www.flickr.com/photos/cybermynd/5537586940/ - there is clearly a woody structure.
It's all about problem solving. I've found that 9 out of 10 ideas are really dumb - get busy and get those first nine out of the way. And be open in your efforts - there are a bunch of regulars on this forum that will turn back-flips to share their experience and acquired knowledge.
You'll come up with something uniquely yours. I can assure there are some serious galleries out there that will jump all over a unique concept.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
OK regarding my dumb question I was just being a Smart A, which I am good at, so I did some research and it seams that the material to be stabilized must be dried and the "meat" would probably be full of moisture.
My suggestion would be to make a lawn sand box ornament until nature turns it into a bunch of sticks, which probably won't be good for anything.
I'm sure that since Joe purchased and used Cactus juice he is aware of the moisture issue. We baked everything to get the moisture out.

OK here is a question (maybe a dumb one) why would you need to soak a cactus in cactus juice?
My father always said the only dumb question was the one not asked. We learn by asking. If I had five cents for every question asked on the forum, I could have a 50X75 shop with all the latest tools.

Ive seen projects on the web where cut wood or sticks were cast in resin to make some beautiful work. So it depends on finding something readily available and being in the mood to do something with it.

I usually do these types of things all the time... I've used a bunch of Oleander branches in resin to make lots of stuff, as well as cholla... I've attached a collage of some of the stuff I've done...

I cut my cactus open, cut away some of the meat, and saguaro wood is pretty much the same as cholla wood... The ribs are usually very long (as long as the cactus is tall) and is highly valued sine it's illegal to cut a saguaro down, you have to find one that's been dead for a very, very long time and the flesh has decomposed enough to harvest the ribs...

Attachments

• collage.png
    collage.png
    832.1 KB · Views: 26
One of the cooler uses I have seen for saguaro was tool handles.
Bonnie Klein had some personal tools ( not for sale ) that she had used the skeleton 'wood' as a handle.
Small tools, 1/4" spindle gouge and smaller.
Felt good in the hand.

Back