• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PLANET MESQUITE

Several on this forum have expressed some interest in the outcome...here it is. Still have the ss stand and hardware to coat. The base is a 4.5" stack-up of baltic birch - couldn't afford granite.

Hopefully you can rotate the pic properly - I couldn't figure it out which, over the last four years I've been working on this piece, has been a lifestyle.

image.jpeg

John, that is one nice piece of work! Wonderful art , I like the method of presentation and the means of holding it. Looks like about 5 ft. tall, is that right? Did you say it took you 4 years of effort to finish it, quite the commitment.:)

Really amazing and beautiful piece of work. Love the stand and the way it's presented.Congratulations!

Marilyn Campbell and I have have had a discussion about bases. I would suggest that you paint the stand/base flat/matte black so that it doesn't compete with the object of attention.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Several on this forum have expressed some interest in the outcome...here it is. Still have the ss stand and hardware to coat. The base is a 4.5" stack-up of baltic birch - couldn't afford granite.

Hopefully you can rotate the pic properly - I couldn't figure it out which, over the last four years I've been working on this piece, has been a lifestyle.

View attachment 32510
Great work!! Would love to see an article about the process.

I will echo Emiliano on this. I would really enjoy seeing the process you went thru to achieve this. Striking, beautiful work. And...FWIW - I think the stand and the globe are so distinct - that they don't compete for the eye's attention. Yet both are art in their own design.

You know, there are two kinds of thinkers: lawyers and preachers. Lawyers take every input to support their existing conclusions - preachers are just trying to figure it all out and each new input has to be cogitated. Rick Crawford's comments above make sense. His comment compliments portrait photography's three cardinal rules: The subject should be 1) the brightest, 2) the warmest, and 3) most in focus. Leaving it silver violates the brightest.
I think I'm going forward with bronze - step one is to get the aluminum parts (bearing housings, end caps, thru rod) anodized and then the stainless uprights and base powdercoated to match.
And thanks bigtime for the comments on the stand - I can't tell you how many ideas and mock-ups have bit the dust. And I got plenty of styrofoam balls left - don't want to be accused of hoarding.

John, There are some great options other than powder coat. Check out any of the videos from Sculpt Nouveau. Metal based paint primer with whatever patina. You can texture the primer with brushes, seas sponges etc as you put it one to create highs and lows that make for some very interesting finishes. I have used lots of it and there are some nice effects that can be done.

Back