• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How to use Thompson and Glaser aluminum handles

I have a Thompson 3/4" gouge/handle - the gouge is down to the nub - want to replace with a 5/8" DWay.
QUESTION: Is there a reducing sleeve/bushing/insert available to do this?

Ditto on the above except it is a Glaser red-handle with 3/4" gouge. Want to use handle with a 5/8" DWay

I have a Glaser red-handle with 3/4" gouge that is getting short so would be interested in finding out how the short one could be removed.
I would think that any machine shop would be able to produce a sleeve.

Best bet is to talk to Doug Thompson. Carter & Son have wood turning adapters for their tools - carterandsontoolworks.com. The potential problem beside the setscrew hole location is the difference in tool O.D. between Carter - 0.622" and D-Way - 0.632". A 5/8" D-Way tool may not fit in a Carter Adapter as Carter keeps fairly tight tolerances for their tools. I don't have a 5/8" Carter adapter to try. Maybe someone does.

I though Dway made a comment about the diameter of their tools. Something about oversized compared to others? Maybe that was their handles? Sorry for just the caution and no facts, but do some checking and measuring before ordering.

Robust has a collet set that can be fitted to these handles...the smaller set (http://turnrobust.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Collet-Kit-with-notes.jpg) fit the medium handle. Be aware of the loose lead shot in the handle when you heat and pull the old tool. A spacer dowel can be inserted part way down the handle and the threaded plug installed in the end, allowing shot to be added back. The 5/8 collet will hold a 5/8 Thompson (shown), but not the original 5/8 Glaser. Additional collets are included for 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2.
IMG_0354.JPG IMG_0356.JPG
Hope this helps

With regards to my previous post, I just tried and a D-Way 3/8" gouge will not fit in a 3/8" Carter & Son wood turning adapter. It is most likely true for 1/4", 1/2" and 5/8" also.

I have a SB Tools Carbon Fiber ER25 Collet Handle and a Carter & Son 1/2" gouge will not grip before the collet or nut bottoms out. The ER collets supplied with the SB handles are 1/32" over the nominal size. To use the Carter and Son gouge in the SB handle, I would have to change from a 17/32" to a 1/2" collet. I don't know what the collet size is that Robust supplies with their ER collet adapters or handles. The C&S gouges that I have generally run 0.003 - 0.004 undersize. The raw steel stock size runs 10 -15 thousands oversize. D-Way tools are not finished down to a nominal size. Doug Thompson turns his gouge shank size to the nominal size. He will supply gouges in the raw steel size to fit the Glaser handles for use with epoxy. If you want to use the ER collet type handles across multiple tool manufacturers, you may have to change collets also, for example 1/2" to 17/32" to accommodate "1/2 inch" tools.

If the holes are off a bit, being aluminum, they should be easily fileable.

+1 on Trent's inserts (also available from Craft Supply). I bought one for a particular handle with tight tolerance and was easily able to reduce the diameter of the insert by .001" by slipping it on a dowel and turning it on the lathe with some sandpaper.

This assumes that you have a tollerance issue. All my other tool handles/receivers are a couple of thousandths over sized.

Be sure to consider the tang shape, too. I bought one Thompson scraper, which has a flat tang. In order to secure it in my handle I have to have the set screws bear against the sides of the tang, otherwise the screws would not be long enough. If you also have an insert and a flat tang the set screws will have to reach even farther.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
I recently took the aluminum sleeve off of a 3/4" Thompson skew that was meant for a Hannes Tools handle (so I could grind it to fit a 1/2" D-Way handle). The sleeve is extra, if you get a mic reading, I could double check, and happy to send if it fits.

Might also be worth calling Jimmie at D-Way, if you haven't already. He's as helpful as Dave was.

If you go with D-Way handles, the thumbscrew is worth the extra 10 bucks or so for rapid removal of tool from handle.

Don't know about the SB carbon fiber ER25, from what you say am now glad I didn't get one. Had a friend with metal working skills install the Robust ER25 kit in a Glaser handle (see above). After reading the post about SB tolerances, went down to the shop and inserted Thompson 3/8 and 1/2 tools. Both tightened up well...had to tap tool sides to remove. Maybe there is a difference. Hoping to fit a Glaser 3/4 handle with the Robust ER32 in the near future. If successful, will let you know. Might have a couple of extra handles to trade then.

Bill, I can usually release the gouge with a little thumb nail pressure on the exposed end of the collet. If that doesn't release it hold the tool vertical by the gouge and lightly the hit base of the handle on a hard surface. It doesn't take much.

Back