• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Forstner bits source

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have quite the collection of Forstner bits. You can tell the ones I use a lot because I have re-sharpen them countless times. I'm thinking about buying some new ones. I have a few that came with an extension. I can't remember where I got those. I do not want to buy the cheap ones at Lowe's or Home Depot. Where do you buy your Forstner bits? Where did I get the ones with an extension, they are really good quality. I use mine to speed up my hollow forms, my urns and more. Right now I have been commissioned an urn and 3 small cylinders for the ashes. They look like needle cases. I hollow one with the Forstner with the extension. That's what made me decide I need a new one! One cylinder will pay for a few. Thanks in advance. Aloha

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
What kind of extension? I have some that use set screws and aren't very good. I also have Colt Maxicut Forstner bits with RotoStop extension. That is a precision cam lock that maintains perfect alignment. At one time years ago they were available at Rockler's and Woodcraft, but being rather expensive they didn't sell very well compared to the cheap ones from the Far East. One source for Colt Forstner bits is Infinity Cutting Tools.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
What kind of extension? I have some that use set screws and aren't very good. I also have Colt Maxicut Forstner bits with RotoStop extension. That is a precision cam lock that maintains perfect alignment. At one time years ago they were available at Rockler's and Woodcraft, but being rather expensive they didn't sell very well compared to the cheap ones from the Far East. One source for Colt Forstner bits is Infinity Cutting Tools.
Thank you BIll. The extension I have looks to be the precision one, no set screw. On my way to check the site you have recommended. Aloha

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Well, what do you know, that's what I have! I see they have an option where you can put them in the morse taper of the tail stock. I wonder how that works...

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Well, I guess I will call them in the morning. They are asking $49 for shipping. One of my pet peeves... I might search around to see if I can find a place with better shipping policy, looks like another company that doesn't know we are a State of the Union since 1959.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 10.55.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 10.55.53 PM.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 31

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Found them at Packard! $13.95 shipping. That's more like it. How to lose a customer before they even buy something...

Emiliano, Something else you might check out is morse taper drill bits. They are expensive new, but you can find quite a selection on eBay in #2 or #3 morse taper and a variety of lengths. I got a couple used 3/4" bits 10" and 15" long. I find it nice because I don't need a chuck. I think I paid under $20 for them. For boring a center hole in hollow forms they are my favorite.

Just recently needed a 1.25 inch forstner and can't find one anywhere locally. Will have to order.

I was given a set of cheap Chinese forstner bits, and most cut great. The 7/8 that came with this set is duller than butter knife. I need to figure out how to sharpen it. I purchased a 1.5 inch on line that I have used a lot over the past three years and it still cuts great. , but eventually it will need sharpening. I have seen so much wrong stuff on You tube lately, that I hate to just watch a video and assume it is correct.

I have the HF set and sharpen with a DMT diamond file. Don't use them a lot but serves my purpose. I thought about buying the holes and gluing them in the wood.

I am wondering if any one makes carbide tipped forstner bits, and if they would be worth the money??? Other than that, I would want M42HSS bits. I did find a local saw shop that would sharpen forstner bits and they came back better than new. I don't buy the cheap ones, but haven't heard of Colt bits. My main use for the forstner bits is a 2 5/8 inch one to drill a recess in the top of my bowl blanks to expand my chuck into. Saves a lot of time by not having to use a faceplate and screws...

robo hippy

I am wondering if any one makes carbide tipped forstner bits, and if they would be worth the money??? Other than that, I would want M42HSS bits. I did find a local saw shop that would sharpen forstner bits and they came back better than new. I don't buy the cheap ones, but haven't heard of Colt bits. My main use for the forstner bits is a 2 5/8 inch one to drill a recess in the top of my bowl blanks to expand my chuck into. Saves a lot of time by not having to use a faceplate and screws...

robo hippy

All kinds Reed,

https://www.amazon.com/Forstner-Dri...8,p_n_feature_seventeen_browse-bin:8557106011

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Well, what do you know, that's what I have! I see they have an option where you can put them in the morse taper of the tail stock. I wonder how that works...

It works like a charm, but don't get carried away and put too much torque on the bit while drilling or else the Morse taper shank might spin and then that will ruin the beautiful polished Morse taper socket on the tailstock quill of your brand new Stubby 1000 lathe.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I am wondering if any one makes carbide tipped forstner bits, and if they would be worth the money??? Other than that, I would want M42HSS bits. I did find a local saw shop that would sharpen forstner bits and they came back better than new. I don't buy the cheap ones, but haven't heard of Colt bits.

You haven't heard of Colt? You have been missing out on Forstner bits that go through wood like butter. Their web site has instructions on how to sharpen them because their geometry is different from your average Forstner bits. Yes you can get carbide tipped Forstner bits. Rockler and Woodcraft both have them and they work well until they get dull. They are sort of pricey ... about 3X the cost of average HSS Forstner bits, but they last 2X as long before getting dull. :D

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano, Something else you might check out is morse taper drill bits. They are expensive new, but you can find quite a selection on eBay in #2 or #3 morse taper and a variety of lengths. I got a couple used 3/4" bits 10" and 15" long. I find it nice because I don't need a chuck. I think I paid under $20 for them. For boring a center hole in hollow forms they are my favorite.
Yes, thank you. I have one, I think the 3/4 but is not big enough for the tip of my Jamieson system to go in...

I have the HF set and sharpen with a DMT diamond file. Don't use them a lot but serves my purpose. I thought about buying the holes and gluing them in the wood.

John Send me the sizes you need and how many of each, I will drill them up for free you only pay shipping.
Now you can’t beat that!

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Just recently needed a 1.25 inch forstner and can't find one anywhere locally. Will have to order.

I was given a set of cheap Chinese forstner bits, and most cut great. The 7/8 that came with this set is duller than butter knife. I need to figure out how to sharpen it. I purchased a 1.5 inch on line that I have used a lot over the past three years and it still cuts great. , but eventually it will need sharpening. I have seen so much wrong stuff on You tube lately, that I hate to just watch a video and assume it is correct.
Perry,

I’ve compiled this at the Sharpening Handbook http://sharpeninghandbook.info/GT-DrillBits-Forstner.html

But, the bible is certainly Leonard Lee’s book, https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Gui...893392&sprefix=Sharpening+leon,aps,182&sr=8-1

kind regards,
Rich

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com

robo hippy
Reed,

I bought these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K4HL9OE/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Oddly shaped with the prongs standing proud, but they work really well.

kind regards,
Rich

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Rich you caused me to buy a copy of the book. If it really is the complete guide to sharpening it will tell me how to properly sharpen a single flute drill. I've been searching for years and haven't found the answer.

I am not confident about buying carbide bits from the big box stores, I just don't trust the quality. All carbides are not the same quality. I will have to look into the Colt bits. There is also a local carbide specialty store in town I may have to research to see what and if they can make things for me. I would prefer to pay more for quality and have them last a lot longer and cut better. Maybe if Mike Hunter was to make some....

robo hippy

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Rich you caused me to buy a copy of the book. If it really is the complete guide to sharpening it will tell me how to properly sharpen a single flute drill. I've been searching for years and haven't found the answer.
I have many sharpening books, and that is one of the best, especially for woodworkers.

For metal work, the best is “Design and Use of Cutting Tools” by Leo J. St. Clair. That book was written in 1952, & is really hard to find though.

Kind regards,
Rich

Plus one for the Colt forstner bits. Cut like a dream - and fast! The extension system locks perfectly an yet it's easy to separate again after use. No pesky grub screws.
Drilling is in a league of it's own and they even are a bit (sorry!) better at getting rid of sawdust.
Only brand that gives me a finer cut is Fisch with saw tooth edges, but at half the speed and they behave much more like normal forstner bits.
@Reed: I tried out at least three different types of cheap carbide tipped forstners, and they all worked well but leave an awful finish.

I have not tried the Colt bits although I have heard that their brad points are respected in the pen turning community. After getting a cheap 16 piece set from MLCS (I think) 25 years ago I now buy my bits from Lee Valley. The Lee Valley bits stay sharp in end grain much longer than any other bit I have tried.

I misspoke. The Ace bits are made by Freud in Austria. I just bought 2 more and looked more closely.
I see that Ace carries 17 different Irwin bits and 3 Diablo ones. Pretty much the same stuff as the big box stores. Does your local Ace carry something else? I see nothing else on the Ace web site. Are you sure they are actually something Ace carries as a chain or are they just something your local store carries?

Last edited:
Back in the day Ace stores had flexibility in vendor products they could choose from to inventory products on the shelf, some of their products carried are driven by local or regional demand.
Having flexibility in each store allows the manager to take advantage of local and regional demand for specific products that big box stores usually can not as they align their product offerings to be the same across all stores. Most stores will order any item you want that they have access to, you just need to ask the manager or buyer, they have a vendor list, distribution warehouse inventory list of fast moving products and an inventory list of special order items that they can order.

I would like to add a suggestion for using any forstner type bits especially the larger diameters on wood lathes.
The spin in the mores taper can be completely eliminated by simply putting the long end of the chuck key handle into one of the 3 holes in the chuck and set up the tool rest such that the handle rides on the tool rest or a vise grip on the shank of the bit will also work.

Try Milwaukee switchblade - the large size is 2-9/16" which is what I've used for years. They offer 6", 12" and 18" extensions which I use, sometimes in combination.
Grinding the threads off the lead screw is a good idea.
At the end of the day, I just want a hole to work from - if it wanders a bit, I just have to deal with it.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Try Milwaukee switchblade - the large size is 2-9/16" which is what I've used for years. They offer 6", 12" and 18" extensions which I use, sometimes in combination.
Grinding the threads off the lead screw is a good idea.
At the end of the day, I just want a hole to work from - if it wanders a bit, I just have to deal with it.
I usually turn a small opening so the Forstner fits in perfectly, zero wobble if you do that...

Back