• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning cancellations due to Coronavirus.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Just got a notification that the April meeting of the Tri County Woodturner is cancelled because the Hillsborough county, FL cancelled all meetings in county owned buildings for 30 days.

@Sid Bright reported elsewhere the Idaho artistry in wood was being cancelled.

March & April are the big art show months - dry months in central Florida. I expect many will cancel.

At present our only defense against the virus spreading is to act as if everybody everywhere has it because we have know way of knowing who has it and where.

South Korea is conducting more than 20,000 tests a day.
latest info I can find - a March 13 report we have tested 13.953 to date.
could be some more local tests. Total failure!

be on the look out for local governments to cancel events....

Last edited:
They even closed my swimming pool, 'until further notice'..... I can understand, but have to gripe some anyway.... Doing more house work, yard work, and setting up the shop... Have to find new ways to burn off 2000 calories a day...

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
We just moved to Tallahassee and I was going to go to the April meeting. It was going to be my first one here.
I know the North Florida woodturners meet in a school. The state closed the schools until March 30.
Not sure about the Tallahassee’s schools or the North Florida Woodturners.
Did they close into April?

I think Walt Wager hangs out with the North Florida Woodturners. Really good turner, nice guy too. See him at the florida symposium every year.

If they test all employees, the stores will have to close for up to 48 hours to get the test results. BTW, look at the figures here-
Examining the insanity of the current run on toilet paper --

Costco Toilet Paper: 30 rolls, 425 sheets per roll = 12,750 sheets per case

Allowing an average of 20 sheets per Bowel Movement = 21.25 BMs per roll, or 637.5 BMs per case

So if a person grabs 4 cases of TP from Costco for a family of 4, and the family is quarantined for 14 days, they'll have enough TP on hand for (4 x 637.5 =) 2550 Bowel Movements

4 people X 14 days = 56 person-days Dividing 2550 BMs by 56, that's enough TP for

45.5 BMs per person per day.

If they are truly afraid of running out, that family has much BIGGER problems than the Coronavirus!!!

I know the North Florida woodturners meet in a school. The state closed the schools until March 30.
Not sure about the Tallahassee’s schools or the North Florida Woodturners.
Did they close into April?

I think Walt Wager hangs out with the North Florida Woodturners. Really good turner, nice guy too. See him at the florida symposium every year.
I'll have to look him up. Yeah, they meet in a local high school. Their meetings are the first Tuesday of the month....so they may meet in April but I doubt it.

If they test all employees, the stores will have to close for up to 48 hours to get the test results. BTW, look at the figures here-
Examining the insanity of the current run on toilet paper --

Costco Toilet Paper: 30 rolls, 425 sheets per roll = 12,750 sheets per case

Allowing an average of 20 sheets per Bowel Movement = 21.25 BMs per roll, or 637.5 BMs per case

So if a person grabs 4 cases of TP from Costco for a family of 4, and the family is quarantined for 14 days, they'll have enough TP on hand for (4 x 637.5 =) 2550 Bowel Movements

4 people X 14 days = 56 person-days Dividing 2550 BMs by 56, that's enough TP for

45.5 BMs per person per day.

If they are truly afraid of running out, that family has much BIGGER problems than the Coronavirus!!!

You need to factor in the occasional drip and women need TP more often than men. ;)

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Yeah, ..................DELETED.................
Doug this is your second comment with some political overtone. Please let's leave politics for Facebook. Your comment could be taken the wrong way by some people. Don't make our volunteer job harder. Aloha.

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
The Upper Valley Woodturners meeting in Thetford, VT, scheduled for this morning was cancelled, and the Totally Turning Symposium in Saratoga Springs, NY, slated for the end of this month, has now been cancelled (in keeping with an edict from the Governor of NY regarding large gatherings).

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Wish we could keep references about what the president or any other political figure knows or does not know out of woodturning.

Your wish is our command. From this point on I and @Emiliano Achaval will be unmerciful in deleting any posts that we see as having any political overtones positive or negative. We can discus things without having a pissing contest. I hope that I have made myself abundantly clear.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Just got a notification that the April meeting of the Tri County Woodturner is cancelled because the Hillsborough county, FL cancelled all meetings in county owned buildings for 30 days.

@Sid Bright reported elsewhere the Idaho artistry in wood was being cancelled.

March & April are the big art show months - dry months in central Florida. I expect many will cancel.

At present our only defense against the virus spreading is to act as if everybody everywhere has it because we have know way of knowing who has it and where.

South Korea is conducting more than 20,000 tests a day.
latest info I can find - a March 13 report we have tested 13.953 to date.
could be some more local tests. Total failure!

be on the look out for local governments to cancel events....
There might be a silver lining for some of here... Cindy Drozda had one her Live Remote Demos canceled. It took a little bit of work, but she convinced the club to do a demo where every club member was remote. You can even watch her on your phone or tablet. @AlanZ was her "host" you need help managing everyone signing in. Cindy had 60 turners watching her demo!.
My next remote demo is on April 28th. I hope the virus crisis is over by then, but if not, I might be doing the same as Cindy.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The March meeting of the Woodturners of North Texas has been cancelled. The Tarrent Area Food Bank Empty Bowls event that was scheduled for March 17 has also been cancelled. Our club along with ceramic and glass artists create bowls as "thank you" gifts for the patrons. March Madness cancelled. XFL cancelled. MLB cancelled. Augusta Masters Golf cancelled. One of the sports columnists for the local rag has been reassigned to writing about the TP shortage. Oh, the humanity. I may be forced to actually turn wood to entertain myself. :D

There might be a silver lining for some of here... Cindy Drozda had one her Live Remote Demos canceled. It took a little bit of work, but she convinced the club to do a demo where every club member was remote. You can even watch her on your phone or tablet. @AlanZ was her "host" you need help managing everyone signing in. Cindy had 60 turners watching her demo!.
My next remote demo is on April 28th. I hope the virus crisis is over by then, but if not, I might be doing the same as Cindy.

Emiliano - would be interested in some of the details as to how Cindy and the club were able to broadcast the remote demo. Is there "an app" that folks download to watch from their portable device or just a Log-In link" provided to a web site? And curious about what type of band width the broadcast might need to send it out to the members? Thanks

Emiliano - would be interested in some of the details as to how Cindy and the club were able to broadcast the remote demo. Is there "an app" that folks download to watch from their portable device or just a Log-In link" provided to a web site? And curious about what type of band width the broadcast might need to send it out to the members? Thanks
I'm not sure what program she used, both you could use Zoom, Twitch, discord, even Skype for this. Once you pick a platform and created an account you just need to give the audience your username and time of meeting. Some applications don't require an account (most of them are free atm) so you would give your audience a meeting id or link. You just need a camera and a mic and a good internet upload speed (something over 10 Mb up, for broadcasting the download speed isn't as important). You don't want your broadcast computer using wifi, it needs to be connected to your router with a cable. The audience can use wifi or a wired connection if they want.
Since you're turning wood and dust is not great for a computer I imagine you'll want your camera and mic on a long cord or a wireless system. Don't enclose your computer it's could overheat. You can get a good camera for less than 50 bucks. I suspect you can get a wireless mic for under $100. You'll want a well lit area some you many need some extra shop lights. If you want to use multiple cameras and switch between you talking and then you turning get somebody to do it for you. You don't want to worry about switching cameras or other technical issues while turning.

Last edited:
I remember a few months ago posting about virtual trade shows, ahead of the curve one more time.
Remote meetings could quickly come into play with the technology that is already available with current computers and the internet.
Public schools could also provide remote classes for students not able to attend public gatherings.
Clubs could continue with monthly remote meetings with various members contributing via the internet taking turns with demonstrations and content.
Most of the remote applications allow split screen communication where multiple people are on the screen at the same time discussing content in real time.
Remote attendants just need to remember to mute their phone or computer to eliminate back ground noise for each session.
If you want to comment during the session you un-mute and ask your question or give a response and then mute your device to minimize background noise.
When you have 30 or 40 people on a remote virtual meeting you usually end up with multiple attendees forgetting they have a live microphone and you get
the pleasure of hearing the door bell ring, the dog barking, the baby crying, the neighbor mowing the lawn and on special occasions an attendee munching
on potato chips during the meeting.
The meeting organizer sends out a meeting notice time, attendees accept the meeting notice and your device will prompt you several minutes prior to the meeting and
you select to attend the meeting or enter a phone number that you wish to use during the remote meeting. Mute your device and the video screen will usually
show who is attending the meeting and who has a hot microphone and who is muted. Many applications also allow text messaging where you can send a text
message to the meeting attendees to minimize meeting interruptions but still contribute to the meeting content. The meeting presenter can address the questions
one by one as they come up while presenting or demoing content. Each meeting gets better as everyone learns proper etiquette.

Ah, technology. A bit off topic but following the remote idea. Our church had only one service today that was viewable on various and sundry devices. We couldn't ask questions, though.

I had a post from Mike Mahoney about the same type of remote broadcast that could be streamed by viewers... He was using that Zoom thing too... Beyond my abilities. I have been writing scripts for more turning videos. Funny how much time I have on my hands since I don't get my 2 1/2 hours in the pool 5 days a week.....

robo hippy

You just need a camera and a mic and a good internet upload speed (something over 10 Gb up, for broadcasting the download speed isn't as important).
Do regular people have internet connections with >10 Gb throughput? I pay for the top locally available speed and get 3 Gb when it's good. Is my area in the stoneage?

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
We were to have a Video Demo with Lyle Jamieson on the 23rd. Alan Z. is working on setting up a Zoom version (whatever that is) for our NJ Woodturners meeting so we can watch at home. Glad that Alan is a member of our club! The Bucks club also canceled our meeting next week - Hans Weissflog was to demo in person for us. Sorry to miss that one!

Clubs can also record a remote meeting and upload it to a public or private YouTube channel and members can view the meeting at a later date.
If you don't have a quality bandwidth connection, you can also participate via a phone connection only to listen or talk with no video.
Archiving the meeting on YouTube allows members to watch the demo/meeting when convenient or watch it a second or third time for missed details.
Great way to have a meeting every month without driving an hour each way or missing a meeting when out of town.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
I have mentored most of the woodturning demonstrators who do interactive live remote demos. Most demo froM their shop to a club gathered at the club site. This week I helped Cindy Drozda do her first group demo where more than 60 members participated from their own homes using computers or mobile devices. The group loved it. They could see and hear her, and she took questions both via the chat window and by voice. It was a success. I am helping several other demonstrators learn a few new techniques for dealing with group meetings.

Our club Magnolia Woodturners, Canceled next Saturdays meeting and then learned that the Ag Museum where we hold meetings will be closed so the cancel was kinda automatic. May Cindy will pop up and answer those questions on how she did that demo but it sounds like a wonder story when I read it on Lucid Woodturners. Oh by the way Alan is the wizard behind the curtain,

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Do regular people have internet connections with >10 Gb throughput? I pay for the top locally available speed and get 3 Gb when it's good. Is my area in the stoneage?
I think that if we are not really sure of what we are talking about it is best to let those who do know chime in. I have the best Internet available for consumers, not business. It is 350 MB. That would be 0.35 gigabytes! Good grief, 10 Gigabyte internet? That's faster than a T1 connection. You do not need the fastest connection to be able to watch a Zoom Live Remote Demo. Something around 5 MBPS should be good enough. I had to go to the supermarket and kept watching @AlanZ webinar on my phone while I was shopping, with a regular cell connection, no wifi.
To be able to do a demo, you will need at least 10 MBPS and upload at around 3 or faster.
On another note, our Hawaii Woodturning Symposium just got canceled.

On dsl(digital subscriber loop) you generally see less than 5mb upload speeds, most likely 1mb or less, I have 15mb down, 2mb up, the company I work for are starting to offer 75 down over bonded copper( basically 2 dsl circuits), fiberoptic areas are starting to see gigabit internet, up to 940mb/s up and down.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I'm not sure what program she used, both you could use Zoom, Twitch, discord, even Skype for this. Once you pick a platform and created an account you just need to give the audience your username and time of meeting. Some applications don't require an account (most of them are free atm) so you would give your audience a meeting id or link. You just need a camera and a mic and a good internet upload speed (something over 10 Gb up, for broadcasting the download speed isn't as important). You don't want your broadcast computer using wifi, it needs to be connected to your router with a cable. The audience can use wifi or a wired connection if they want.
Since you're turning wood and dust is not great for a computer I imagine you'll want your camera and mic on a long cord or a wireless system. Don't enclose your computer it's could overheat. You can get a good camera for less than 50 bucks. I suspect you can get a wireless mic for under $100. You'll want a well lit area some you many need some extra shop lights. If you want to use multiple cameras and switch between you talking and then you turning get somebody to do it for you. You don't want to worry about switching cameras or other technical issues while turning.

I encourage you to join www.lucidwoodturners.com We have been doing Live Remote Demos for several years now. There you can learn all about it. There is no need to guess or give out the wrong information. We have addressed everything you have mentioned, dust, cameras, computers. A quick Google search shows the fastest internet speed available in the US is 800 MBPS That would be 0.8 Gigabyte. I would like to know what service provider you have that is providing 10 gigabytes, I will purchase some stock in the company!! For what we charge for the demos, none of us can afford to have someone help us. There are about 20 of us doing it, nobody has help, we do it all. I run 5 cameras, 2 mics all with one computer, and I do the turning. Mike Mahoney does it differently, he has so many videos that he shows you different videos while interacting with the club...

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
If you are getting 3 Gigabytes you must be Elon Musk neighbor! That's definitely not the stone age, you are living in the future!

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Emiliano,
Just to be clear, internet speed is typically listed in megabits, not megabytes. Megabits are abbreviated “Mb”, while megabytes are “MB”. There are 8 bits per byte. Want to know what half a byte (a 4 bit word) is called? Obviously, a “nibble”. <s>

Last edited:

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano,
Just to be clear, internet speed is typically listed in megabits, not megabytes. Megabits are abbreviated “mb”, while megabytes are “MB”. There are 8 bits per byte. Want to know what half a byte (a 4 bit word) is called? Obviously, a “nibble”. <s>
Can anybody get 10 Gigabytes? Take a look at my Speed test, it says Mbps...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 6.00.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 6.00.14 PM.png
    176 KB · Views: 16

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Clearly I don't have my units straight. Wouldn't be the first or the last time. Apparently, I'm not alone:D
Touche! That's funny, you are right, even I got them mixed up. Our resident expert and Live Remote Demo mentor is @AlanZ , he once told me all about that, even "nibble" one, I just forgot...

I have mentored most of the woodturning demonstrators who do interactive live remote demos. Most demo froM their shop to a club gathered at the club site. This week I helped Cindy Drozda do her first group demo where more than 60 members participated from their own homes using computers or mobile devices. The group loved it. They could see and hear her, and she took questions both via the chat window and by voice. It was a success. I am helping several other demonstrators learn a few new techniques for dealing with group meetings.
I would be so interested in joining any live demos where I could do it from home. Living 31/2 hours from a big city with a wood turning club!!
On a side note signed up for a nick agar 3 day course in Calgary in July. I have a bad feeling could be cancelled. We shall see. This virus could push a lot of people into the internet remote age.

I encourage you to join www.lucidwoodturners.com We have been doing Live Remote Demos for several years now. There you can learn all about it. There is no need to guess or give out the wrong information. We have addressed everything you have mentioned, dust, cameras, computers. A quick Google search shows the fastest internet speed available in the US is 800 MBPS That would be 0.8 Gigabyte. I would like to know what service provider you have that is providing 10 gigabytes, I will purchase some stock in the company!! For what we charge for the demos, none of us can afford to have someone help us. There are about 20 of us doing it, nobody has help, we do it all. I run 5 cameras, 2 mics all with one computer, and I do the turning. Mike Mahoney does it differently, he has so many videos that he shows you different videos while interacting with the club...
It was a typo, even us computer scientist get things wrong :) I've fixed my post.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Just had a tooth fall out and called the dentist.She said they're not taking patients over 70, so if it's not hurting wait.

Aren't you a bit old to be shedding baby teeth? Don't forget to put it under your pillow. The TF was paying about a dime per tooth when I was a kid. I don't know how much inflation and COLA have affected this.

Back