• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oneway 2416 vs Vicmarc VL300

I am in search of some honest advice as i have been unable to find an opportunity to try either in person. I am in the market for a serious lathe upgrade and need some help in comparing my top choices. I have narrowed it down to either the Vicmarc Vl300 with outboard tool post from Woodworker's Emporium or a 3hp Oneway 2416 with large swing outboard setup. Both same hp, both "short bed" lathes, both fixed headstocks with outboard capabilities.

I turned my first bowl in 2003, and instantly fell in love with it. I spent a few years turning bowls for a local shop which had a 20" and 24" PM, and now have a part time bowl turning business that is doing well. When i started my business, i got a Laguna REVO 18/36. I've had it for just over 2 years, and i am ready to upgrade it as i am consistently pushing it beyond its limits. I like to turn large, out of balanced, green hardwood bowls. I also have turned some large outboard wall medallions, some with carved logos for local shops, that were close to 30" in diameter and would like to explore doing more of that kind of work.

Given all that background, i am looking for a strong compact shortbed/ fixed headstock lathe that can handle the kind of work i do. I like features of both, but i lack the real world experience of using either. I tend to turn at slower speeds than some, but i am looking for a lathe that is strong, quiet, vibration free, and either easy to work on or phenomenal cs when it comes to repairs or maintenance. Is the Oneway smooth and quiet? Can the VL300 handle large out of balanced bowl blanks? Why is it, that most of the world renowned bowl turners use Vicmarc?

Given my personal experiences, i am sold on a fixed headstock. For logistical reasons of transport and service, i have ruled out ordering from outside the North American market for a VB36 or Stubby S1000, which would otherwise be top considerations of mine.

I should also add, as a rather important aside, my shop is currently in my basement. It has double carriage doors to the back yard, but is a steep grade from street level to the doors. So, would one be easier to disassemble and hand cart down the hill to the walk out basement? More importantly, would one be next to impossible to get in the shop? ...i was able to handcart a 600lb IR air compressor down there, for comparison sake.

Thank you so much!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
My wife has a ONEWAY 2416 with a 17” outboard bed.
I have a ONEWAY 2436 With the large outboard table
Both are smooth and quiet.

the ONEWAY has the best wheel system. The wheels are 8” pneumatic tires 4” wide
They clip on with no tools and come with a lever bar you push on to lift the end of the lathe you are putting the wheels on. Two wheels on one end, one with a pull handle on the other end.
I have loaded lots of lathes up and down trailer ramps. ONEWAY rolls the easiest.
Also the easy to turn.
The tires have no problem on firm sand or gravel. With all the other wheel systems you need two sheets of plywood to roll a cross sand or gravel.

on a steep drive you just have to be sure it can’t get away from you.
Two guys are enough if you are doing it solo maybe use a rope and pulley to give you an advantage.

Last edited:
Short answer is that either will work great for what you want to do. I have the VL300 with an outboard bed that Christian from Woodworkers Emporium had Vicmarc make a support under the outboard bed. I used to rough out and core thousands of blanks and sell them dried to folks from around the country. The question really is do you like white or blue because they will both work great?

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
I used to be a big Oneway fan (have owned a 2436 and a 1018) but their quality control has gone down hill over the years. I recently bought a 1224 and was alarmed by the quality of the paint job. On top of that the rheostat was wired backwards. Clearly they do not even run their lathes before they leave the factory. The lathe also whines a lot when running under load but Oneway said it was normal. Here is a picture of the paint.

F2609B9C-93D0-43D4-8D80-278130B67E76.jpeg

I used to be a big Oneway fan (have owned a 2436 and a 1018) but their quality control has gone down hill over the years. I recently bought a 1224 and was alarmed by the quality of the paint job. On top of that the rheostat was wired backwards. Clearly they do not even run their lathes before they leave the factory. The lathe also whines a lot when running under load but Oneway said it was normal. Here is a picture of the paint.

View attachment 32296
That is unnerving,Jim. What model years did you have those experiences?

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
Mark - I got the 1224 in November last year. The other Oneway’s I owned were 2000 year models and were excellent machines. I sold both of them to a buddy a few years back and they are still running strong. Not sure what is going on at Oneway currently but if I was running their facility no lathe would leave the plant until it was run in.

View attachment 32296
The quality of paint surface you are referring to is a cast surface, that is what cast surfaces look like when they are painted. Notice the machined part bolted to it is a smooth painted surface. I own a 2436, purchased new in 2006 .

I for one have two Oneway lathes and they are awesome. And customer service is awesome! I talked to A well known demonstrator when he was doing a course in Canada and he was a huge fan of Vicmarc when in England but said new Vicmarc s have went down in quality considerably and a log of cast parts now. He would know. And he said if you where going to get a Vicmarc buy an old one. The new ones. Not worth it.

I am in search of some honest advice as i have been unable to find an opportunity to try either in person. I am in the market for a serious lathe upgrade and need some help in comparing my top choices. I have narrowed it down to either the Vicmarc Vl300 with outboard tool post from Woodworker's Emporium or a 3hp Oneway 2416 with large swing outboard setup. Both same hp, both "short bed" lathes, both fixed headstocks with outboard capabilities.

I turned my first bowl in 2003, and instantly fell in love with it. I spent a few years turning bowls for a local shop which had a 20" and 24" PM, and now have a part time bowl turning business that is doing well. When i started my business, i got a Laguna REVO 18/36. I've had it for just over 2 years, and i am ready to upgrade it as i am consistently pushing it beyond its limits. I like to turn large, out of balanced, green hardwood bowls. I also have turned some large outboard wall medallions, some with carved logos for local shops, that were close to 30" in diameter and would like to explore doing more of that kind of work.

Given all that background, i am looking for a strong compact shortbed/ fixed headstock lathe that can handle the kind of work i do. I like features of both, but i lack the real world experience of using either. I tend to turn at slower speeds than some, but i am looking for a lathe that is strong, quiet, vibration free, and either easy to work on or phenomenal cs when it comes to repairs or maintenance. Is the Oneway smooth and quiet? Can the VL300 handle large out of balanced bowl blanks? Why is it, that most of the world renowned bowl turners use Vicmarc?

Given my personal experiences, i am sold on a fixed headstock. For logistical reasons of transport and service, i have ruled out ordering from outside the North American market for a VB36 or Stubby S1000, which would otherwise be top considerations of mine.

I should also add, as a rather important aside, my shop is currently in my basement. It has double carriage doors to the back yard, but is a steep grade from street level to the doors. So, would one be easier to disassemble and hand cart down the hill to the walk out basement? More importantly, would one be next to impossible to get in the shop? ...i was able to handcart a 600lb IR air compressor down there, for comparison sake.

Thank you so much!
You can easily get the Oneway into basement. Legs come off. It’s heavy but no one part is more than 500 lbs when disassembled. And it turns large heavy out of round wood outboard all day long.

Well, since Oneway is located a mere 280 miles due west of you, Murphy's Law of Woodturning Suppliers says you will most like the lathe from the opposite side of the planet by way of Las Vegas. ;)

In all seriousness, with half a dozen clubs within a couple hour drive of you, it seems like somebody ought to have one of each of those lathes they would proudly show off to you. Have you checked with the sellers to locate happy owners near by?

I am a former Oneway 24/36 owner with a slightly off topic question... Why are you so set on a fixed headstock?
I have used a few sliding headstock lathes, and i don't care for them. I would rather have a fixed headstock were the inboard and outboard side of the headstock could be set up for specific tasks, as Dale mentioned, like having two lathes in one. My Air, dust collection, and overhead light fixture can all pivot from a single point for both sides of the headstock as opposed to traveling the length of the bed.

What made you switch from Oneway to Robust, sir?

Well, since Oneway is located a mere 280 miles due west of you, Murphy's Law of Woodturning Suppliers says you will most like the lathe from the opposite side of the planet by way of Las Vegas. ;)

In all seriousness, with half a dozen clubs within a couple hour drive of you, it seems like somebody ought to have one of each of those lathes they would proudly show off to you. Have you checked with the sellers to locate happy owners near by?
aint Murphy's law something!?

I did reach out to a friend in the local club to see if anyone would be willing to let me visit for show and tell, but I've not heard back. Perhaps not being a member of the club is hurting my chances. I would like to join, but I just haven't set aside the time to start attending meetings.

Have you considered a Stubby 750? They periodically show up on the used market, and have a 30" swing.
Thanks Rick! The Stubby does seem like a great solution to what I'm looking for, I wish they were sold here. I am leery about buying a used lathe, and not having State-side support or service makes me apprehensive.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have used a few sliding headstock lathes, and i don't care for them. I would rather have a fixed headstock were the inboard and outboard side of the headstock could be set up for specific tasks, as Dale mentioned, like having two lathes in one. My Air, dust collection, and overhead light fixture can all pivot from a single point for both sides of the headstock as opposed to traveling the length of the bed.
?

Yes turn between centers on inboard mount in the chuck in the outboard for hollowing.
Flip the reverse switch and hollow
Lot faster than moving the tailstock out of the way, screwing on the chuck, unlocking the headstock, sliding the tool rest, sliding the headstock, moving the switch, and you never have to double check that the headstock is locked in place,

Mark I think for what you are describing as what you turn a fixed headstock is a must. I cored a lot and yes probably got more aggressive with the tool than most due to experience. Most of the time when I demoed on sliding headstock lathes they would come loose, very annoying. I know I may get blow back however I am simply giving my experience. If you are going to continue turning bowls then I feel you are on the right path for an inboard outboard lathe, both for headstock stability, convenience and speed, provided you have the room.

Mark I think for what you are describing as what you turn a fixed headstock is a must. I cored a lot and yes probably got more aggressive with the tool than most due to experience. Most of the time when I demoed on sliding headstock lathes they would come loose, very annoying. I know I may get blow back however I am simply giving my experience. If you are going to continue turning bowls then I feel you are on the right path for an inboard outboard lathe, both for headstock stability, convenience and speed, provided you have the room.
Thank you Dale! I have had similar experiences with my Laguna and a Powermatic. Though I'm sure some manufacturers make a better locking mechanism than others, I can't see how a moving headstock can be as solid as a fixed. I'm looking at two relatively short bed lathes to be dedicated bowl lathes, I will keep my laguna for the rare time I need a longer bed.

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
The quality of paint surface you are referring to is a cast surface, that is what cast surfaces look like when they are painted. Notice the machined part bolted to it is a smooth painted surface. I own a 2436, purchased new in 2006 .

I understand what a paint job should look like on cast having owned a few cast lathes but there should not be 1/2 inch of unpainted surface around the spindle. Neither my 2436 or my 1018 had any exposed metal.

I picked up a Vic 240, the one with the pivoting headstock. It is now my preferred bowl lathe. The difference is that the headstock spindle is right on the headstock tower rather than in a bell housing which is on both Robust and Oneway lathes. That bell adds maybe 2 inches to the distance off of the headstock tower, which can add vibration issues when turning bowls without the tailstock attached. The pivoting settings are at 30 degrees, and 90 degrees to the bed. At 30 degrees I can turn over 16 inch diameter bowls, no problem. Don't find much use for bowls bigger than that. If Emelliano chips in here, he has a couple of Stubby lathes. I haven't had a chance to play on them yet... I might have to take a trip over to Hawaii some time....

robo hippy

What made you switch from Oneway to Robust, sir?

The 24/36 was a good machine for the most part. I did need to get the headstock spindle rebuilt after a few years, the speed controller was a little fussy and she would shut down when running on slow speeds, and when I bought my Onaway the stainless steel bed was not an option yet. I also wasn't crazy about the control switch on the swinging arm-- it always seemed to be too close or too far. Those factors and the the fact that I wanted a sliding headstock for versatility & coupled with an excellent hydraulic swing-down tailstock.
I also work in a fairly small shop now, and I do not have the room to set up on both sides of the headstock anymore.

I understand what a paint job should look like on cast having owned a few cast lathes but there should not be 1/2 inch of unpainted surface around the spindle. Neither my 2436 or my 1018 had any exposed metal.
I hear you, looks like the machined surface is larger than the flange bolting to it.

I hear you, looks like the machined surface is larger than the flange bolting to it.
I think that black what is showing might be a seal, rather than missing paint ?.
Besides if that is the reason he called “the quality is going down” :rolleyes:, I think the paint that comes with the lathe for touchups would cover that very easily if it bothers him.

I picked up a Vic 240, the one with the pivoting headstock. It is now my preferred bowl lathe. The difference is that the headstock spindle is right on the headstock tower rather than in a bell housing which is on both Robust and Oneway lathes. That bell adds maybe 2 inches to the distance off of the headstock tower, which can add vibration issues when turning bowls without the tailstock attached. The pivoting settings are at 30 degrees, and 90 degrees to the bed. At 30 degrees I can turn over 16 inch diameter bowls, no problem. Don't find much use for bowls bigger than that. If Emelliano chips in here, he has a couple of Stubby lathes. I haven't had a chance to play on them yet... I might have to take a trip over to Hawaii some time....

robo hippy
Thank you, Robo Hippy!
I do enjoy watching your you tube videos. I do have a question, do you do any vacuum chucking? If so, do the rims of your bowls contact the headstock with out the extended cone that other lathes have? Not sure if there's an extension that will work for a vacuum chuck, or if there's another way to skin that cat besides jam chucking or pinching between centers for tennon removal.

image.jpg My 1236 has same missing paint. It’s normal for the 1236 I believe. The head is used on more than one lathe probably. And the other part is a bit smaller I assume. Probably best to talk to the company. It quite possibly could have a valid explanation if you talk to Oneway and send a photo.

Last edited:
Robust AB uses a clamping plate that spans the length of the headstock - very solid and secure locking -
I was demoe'ing at a symposium and had to lock the headstock 4 times. It kept coming loose while coring. One of the crowd who owned one came up and locked it as I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, it came loose again. Ellsworth demoed after me and I stayed to watch and he was turning and said this headstock is loose. He tightened it and it was then good for him, however he wasn't coring. Robust makes and excellent lathe but for some work like what Mark describes there are better options for headstock confidence (fixed) for that application. Yes it could have simply needed a slight adjustment in the plates where it wouldn't have been a problem since it was moved in for the symposium.

Thank you Dale! I have had similar experiences with my Laguna and a Powermatic. Though I'm sure some manufacturers make a better locking mechanism than others, I can't see how a moving headstock can be as solid as a fixed. I'm looking at two relatively short bed lathes to be dedicated bowl lathes, I will keep my laguna for the rare time I need a longer bed.

Mark something to keep in mind is the importance of like spindle sizes and etc. so you can use accessories on both lathes. You want to be able to use your chucks on both lathes so you won't have to have dedicated chucks or slowing down to change inserts. I think that the oneway now makes a 1 1/4" like the Vicmarc and your current lathe. Good luck in your decision.

Mark something to keep in mind is the importance of like spindle sizes and etc. so you can use accessories on both lathes. You want to be able to use your chucks on both lathes so you won't have to have dedicated chucks or slowing down to change inserts. I think that the oneway now makes a 1 1/4" like the Vicmarc and your current lathe. Good luck in your decision.
Yes Dale, that is one hangup I have with the Oneway. I spoke to Susan and Kevin, and they are not willing to offer anything but m33 spindle thread. I know the thread adapters for my chucks are not expensive, but switching them would be a time consuming factor. They make a thread adapter, but I would thing that would negate the supposed benefit they believe the metric thread offers, not to mention cantilevering my workpiece further from the front bearing.

I would like to keep my laguna, for longer work, and possibly leave my vacuum chuck system on there. I also have a few faceplates that would have to be replaced if I were stuck with the metric spindle.

Mark, I don't have a vacuum chuck. All of my bowls have the recess on the bottom, and particularly with the Pacific Madrone since it warps insanely, some times it would be impossible to turn off the recess. I have seen some vacuum chuck mounts where they are on a cylinder that sticks out away from the headstock a ways. There are a few lathes, the Jet was one, where they mounted the motor on the spindle side rather than on the outboard side. That, to me is backwards, and I did find that it interfered with some natural edge turnings.

Dale, I have cored thousands of bowls both on my 3520A and my AB. Never had a problem with the headstock coming loose. I would guess that the nuts on the pressure plate were not tightened up properly. I would think that if they were tightened down too far, you may not be able to get the lock necessary to have the headstock be tight enough. I did run into some issues with the banjo being locked down properly. I think they had an issue with the cam/offset on the handle/bar being too big and it was fixed. I recently picked up a 30mm post from Woodworker's Emporium so I could core on my Vic, and the post is too big in diameter and won't fit in the hole... Probably have to get it turned down...

robo hippy

Oh, I guess I should add that I had one problem with the headstock when coring with my 3520A. I have one of the earliest models. The pressure plate on the bottom was cast iron. It snapped while coring some black locust... The headstock just tipped over towards the bed, so nothing fell off. I had a friend make a solid bar stock plate that was longer than the original one, with 2 flanges welded so it fit in between the ways. No problems at all after that... I went back to the Woodcraft Store and checked the newer models, and they all had solid bar stock pressure plates.

robo hippy

I have had my AB for almost 5 years, and have cored at least 1000 bowls on it. I do more large natural edge than anything really, and the headstock has never moved or come loose. And by large I mean as big as will fit on it. I recently acquired a Vicmarc VL 300 long bed also. It is a fine lathe and will do whatever you need also. I may be biased because I am used to my Robust, but if I could only have one, I think I chose the right one for me 5 years ago. I have probably core 50 or so bowls on the Vicmarc. I really like it also. One feature that is really good, is the stop bar across the whole front. Some people think that they will accidently hit it, and I have, but it sure is handy because you don't have to reach anywhere to find the stop button. It also has the same spindle thread as my Robust, and that sure is handy.View media item 17545View media item 17544

I have had my AB for almost 5 years, and have cored at least 1000 bowls on it. I do more large natural edge than anything really, and the headstock has never moved or come loose. And by large I mean as big as will fit on it. I recently acquired a Vicmarc VL 300 long bed also. It is a fine lathe and will do whatever you need also. I may be biased because I am used to my Robust, but if I could only have one, I think I chose the right one for me 5 years ago. I have probably core 50 or so bowls on the Vicmarc. I really like it also. One feature that is really good, is the stop bar across the whole front. Some people think that they will accidently hit it, and I have, but it sure is handy because you don't have to reach anywhere to find the stop button. It also has the same spindle thread as my Robust, and that sure is handy.View media item 17545View media item 17544
Those are some nice looking chunks of wood! That looks exactly like the kind of work I like to do.

I have had my AB for almost 5 years, and have cored at least 1000 bowls on it. I do more large natural edge than anything really, and the headstock has never moved or come loose.
I’ve had the same experience over the seven years I’ve owned mine - the headstock has always locked securely and stayed that way no matter what was on it - coring or roughing.

Robust looks like a great company. I've only heard stellar things about both Brent and his quality products. The AB just doesn't appeal to my sense of what I'm looking for.

Now, if Robust came out with a larger version of the Sweet 16, I'd be tempted. Say, 20" swing over the bed...40" over the removable gap...and to keep with his Americana theme, call it The Roaring 20!

C'mon, Dale. Show him a picture of your Two Headed Beauty. ;)

C'mon, Dale. Show him a picture of your Two Headed Beauty. ;)

Now Dean I want him to make a decision on his own research. I don't want him salivating over mine. If he wants to see it I will oblige. BTW if you are coming to the symposium you are always welcome to stay at my place rather than pay for a hotel.

Please don't take what I have said about my Robust experience as anything but that, my experience. I know most people have had nothing but great luck with there units. My experiences are just that and they tell me I am not supposed to own a Robust simply because I have had issues with the three I turned on. I chalk it up to bad luck and karma sending me a message, you are not to own one of those. They are fine lathes.

Back