• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Black Finial

Hi, I've made a finial for a sea urchin ornament out of maple and wondered about colouring it black. I've heard of using black shoe polish or dye. The TransTint dye suggested seems expensive for my limited use. Any suggestions? Thanks, Jim

Thanks everyone, I found Fiebings Black Dye at a local Michael's art supply store. I am not sure what the USMC designation refers to?

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Thanks everyone, I found Fiebings Black Dye at a local Michael's art supply store. I am not sure what the USMC designation refers to?
I wear nitrile gloves and apply with a foam brush.
Usually 1 coat is enough.
You are excused for not recognizing USMC.... lots of folks south of the border won’t recognize RCMP. :)

Leather dyes and India ink both work well. Fiebings leather dye is the most commonly available in the US. 4oz is about $8.; 2 oz of ink is about the same cost as the leather dye.

BTDT tip: Wear disposable gloves!

While we are working obvious acronyms, what the heck is BTDT, lol! BTW, that USMC black looks great. Is the Matt finish the end result or does that require another process.

I am wondering how light fast the Fiebings dyes are. Many years ago, in the 80's, I made custom Hacky Sacks. At first we used the Feibings dyes to add color to them. Leave your footbag (Hacky Sack is a brand name, like Frisbee...), and the colors would bleach out as fast as cherry wood gets a tan. So, have their dyes improved in that aspect?

robo hippy

I wear nitrile gloves and apply with a foam brush.
Usually 1 coat is enough.
You are excused for not recognizing USMC.... lots of folks south of the border won’t recognize RCMP. :)
Thanks for your kind comment. I do live in Ottawa, ON, Canada.

Last edited:
While we are working obvious acronyms, what the heck is BTDT, lol! BTW, that USMC black looks great. Is the Matt finish the end result or does that require another process.
BTDT = Been There, Done That!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I am wondering how light fast the Fiebings dyes are. Many years ago, in the 80's, I made custom Hacky Sacks. At first we used the Feibings dyes to add color to them. Leave your footbag (Hacky Sack is a brand name, like Frisbee...), and the colors would bleach out as fast as cherry wood gets a tan. So, have their dyes improved in that aspect?

robo hippy
I only have used the USMC black by Fiebings. Have not noticed any fading.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Any suggestions about the top coat finish on the spindle after it has beed dyed?
On my ornament finials (icicles) I use hard stick carnauba wax while still mounted on the lathe. I usually use holly or maple and don't dye them but the wax should still work and bring up a nice shine. Many, many years ago I dropped a carnauba stick on the concrete floor and it shattered like glass into many shards of all sizes. Many of those pieces are narrow and sharp enough to fit into the narrowest nooks & crannies of your finial. Apply (rub) at high speed (same as my turning speed for finials) and buff off with a paper towel to avoid any disastrous catches that can occur with a cloth. Buff between your fingers and avoid any lateral pressure that could break a delicate finial. Try it.....I think you will like it.

On my ornament finials (icicles) I use hard stick carnauba wax while still mounted on the lathe. ...

Thanks Tom, I'll give it a try. The spray semi gloss lacquer I've been using hasn't worked out too well for me after my first few attempts. The fumes are terrible. Your paper towel and wax idea is clever. I always thought you had to use a buffing system like Beal to apply carnauba wax Thanks again.

Back