• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet Tool Sales

The Jet 1840 lathe that I have been considering is on sale until March 16th. Unfortunately I will be traveling and will not be home when it would be delivered so I can't order it now. How often do Jet lathes go on sale?

The Jet 1840 lathe that I have been considering is on sale until March 16th. Unfortunately I will be traveling and will not be home when it would be delivered so I can't order it now. How often do Jet lathes go on sale?
Can you not buy it now have have it delivered later? Or put a deposit on the lathe at the sale price and pay in full when you return.

When I got back into turning in 2007, I bought a Jet 1236 because the price was right and I thought it was a decent enough lathe to get started again. Within a year, I was doing deep drilling of cylindrical tube forms, and eventually had issues with the tailstock spindle. I took it apart, and discovered that the only method of keeping the spindle in place was an "E" clip, which had distorted under the drilling pressure. I fixed it, but when I mentioned it to the Jet rep at the next symposium, he replied that "a lathe is not supposed to be used as a drill press"! I bought a used Yates-American J-170 former high school shop class lathe, which has never given me a problem doing the same task. I now have a Stubby 750, which is just as solid. I would suggest asking the dealer some questions before purchasing.

I can't believe that any reputable dealer would not be willing to accommodate you with a delayed delivery date. Have you asked a dealer?

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
When I got back into turning in 2007, I bought a Jet 1236 because the price was right and I thought it was a decent enough lathe to get started again. Within a year, I was doing deep drilling of cylindrical tube forms, and eventually had issues with the tailstock spindle. I took it apart, and discovered that the only method of keeping the spindle in place was an "E" clip, which had distorted under the drilling pressure. I fixed it, but when I mentioned it to the Jet rep at the next symposium, he replied that "a lathe is not supposed to be used as a drill press"! I bought a used Yates-American J-170 former high school shop class lathe, which has never given me a problem doing the same task. I now have a Stubby 750, which is just as solid. I would suggest asking the dealer some questions before purchasing.
I'm guessing the guy was not a woodturner, LOL

If it's just a matter of a few days what I've done in the past when purchasing a large item is to order it for in store delivery. A lot of times there's no shipping charge to the store and usually I would have paid sales tax anyway. Then when it arrives I have a few days to arrange the last leg of the delivery (including the basement stairs). You might be able to stretch it to a week, but I'm mindful my retail store is not a warehouse. If it would have to sit longer, then talk to the store manager.

To address your original question, Jet sales happen two or three times a year. The most reliable one is around Thanksgiving, otherwise it tends to vary. The discount is sometimes 15%, but more frequently 10%.

The closet Woodcraft store is 120 miles away. So a store delivery would not work. My biggest problem is indecision. My criteria for a lathe was at least 2hp and big enough to do a reasonable bowl. Since I haven't turned anything yet I guessing a reasonable size bowl is around 10"- 12". Then I got big eyed at a Robust and Oneway. Which are realistically out of my price range.

Installing a 220V outlet is a pretty simple task if you have access to the electrical panel and a route to run the romex or conduit and wire.
Plenty of videos on YouTube that show the basic procedure. Do you have space in your panel or a spare 2-pole breaker?

Mike I have the space but I may not need a total new circuit. I have a sub-panel in my shop with a 50amp 220v outlet for my welder. I started a new thread with the question of using an adapter for the 6-50 outlet to a 6-15 plug. This way I can decide the best location before I install the proper plug.

Back