• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chainsaw upgrade

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
The recent discussion on chainsaw suppliers got me to thinking about one my favorite chainsaw accessories. It's the MaxFlo air filter for larger Stihl saws that allows more air filtration capacity for dirt, dust, and grit.

IMG_3249.jpg

Normal chainsaw filters need cleaned A LOT. Multiple times a day in some cases. And finer particles go right through a lot of chainsaw air filters.

The kit is $50-60 bucks, but I've had the same filter for five years, and it's still clean. I took the saw apart with my Stihl mechanic recently and the piston is spotless after 20 years of hard use, first by a timber faller, then a commercial firewood guy, then an arborist, and in recent years: me for both bowl stock and chainsawmilling.

I recently ordered a new filter and spare, and talked with the co-owner of the company. Great people, great service. UPS shipping was $85 bucks to Alaska, but when I called, she shipped a couple filters out for 9 bucks via USPS Priority Mail. I couldn't be happier.

I couldn’t agree more! The oiled filter element trapped all the fines from coming through. I let that one go a little longer than normal but nothing got past it. The stock hd2 filter had fines getting past with almost no use. The filtration system has been a weak point to some of the Stihl models.

Attachments

• 2A3CE2E0-C70A-4A71-AA64-24031EDD9580.jpeg
    2A3CE2E0-C70A-4A71-AA64-24031EDD9580.jpeg
    581.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 0193C208-A31F-4CE7-B524-03146DADA7B9.jpeg
    0193C208-A31F-4CE7-B524-03146DADA7B9.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 86

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
The recent discussion on chainsaw suppliers got me to thinking about one my favorite chainsaw accessories. It's the MaxFlo air filter for larger Stihl saws that allows more air filtration capacity for dirt, dust, and grit.

View attachment 32228

Normal chainsaw filters need cleaned A LOT. Multiple times a day in some cases. And finer particles go right through a lot of chainsaw air filters.

The kit is $50-60 bucks, but I've had the same filter for five years, and it's still clean. I took the saw apart with my Stihl mechanic recently and the piston is spotless after 20 years of hard use, first by a timber faller, then a commercial firewood guy, then an arborist, and in recent years: me for both bowl stock and chainsawmilling.

I recently ordered a new filter and spare, and talked with the co-owner of the company. Great people, great service. UPS shipping was $85 bucks to Alaska, but when I called, she shipped a couple filters out for 9 bucks via USPS Priority Mail. I couldn't be happier.
Too bad they have it for the Huskies.

Too bad they have it for the Huskies.

Husqvarna's "air injection" system keeps the air filters cleaner much better than many older Stihl models (i.e. 440). This was eventually copied by Stihl on new models (i.e. 441).

Reference: https://www.stihl.com/chain-saws-functional-principle.aspx
Chain saws - long-life air filtration system
The STIHL MS 261, MS 271, MS 291 and MS 441 professional saws also have a new type of long-life air filtration system with pre-separation that perceptibly relieves the downstream filter components.

...I took the saw apart with my Stihl mechanic recently and the piston is spotless after 20 years of hard use, first by a timber faller, then a commercial firewood guy, then an arborist, and in recent years: me for both bowl stock and chainsawmilling....

Zach, Seems the oem type filters did a decent job over most of the saws life unless both previous owners were also using a MaxFlo filter, no?

What Stihl model is your saw? Just wondering if it's the older or newer air filtration design (see above).

@Karl Loeblein even the new m-tronic saws currently on market 261, 362, 462, and 661 that have the newer twist on filter is somewhat questionable in sealing around the air intake plenum. Unfortunately there are no Maxi's available for the latest gen Stihls. I've seen people use a small amount of oil/grease at the base of the filter to assist in sealing the system.

Zach, Thanks for the tip. I can't seem to get in the habit of cleaning the filters on a regular basis.
I'm going to get one of those. The only thing that I've done to my Stihl is port the exhaust. It made a significant boost in the power and allowed me to go to a longer bar. There are several youtube videos on doing this and readjusting the carb. It makes the saw louder but.....

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Zach, Seems the oem type filters did a decent job over most of the saws life unless both previous owners were also using a MaxFlo filter, no?

What Stihl model is your saw? Just wondering if it's the older or newer air filtration design (see above).

Karl, I should have been more clear. The MaxFlo has been on my 066 since Day 1, so it would have been the older set-up. Timber fallers love em. Some say the MaxFlo gives a small increase in horse power...but I don't know one way or the other. The ability to cut all day without cleaning a filter is sure handy. And for a 20 year old saw, it's impressive, though the 066s were definitely built stout and the MaxFlo is only one part of that success.

I'm familiar with the newer saws, and the filtration has definitely improved, but I still think the MaxFlo is the best out there.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
I couldn’t agree more! The oiled filter element trapped all the fines from coming through. I let that one go a little longer than normal but nothing got past it. The stock hd2 filter had fines getting past with almost no use. The filtration system has been a weak point to some of the Stihl models.

Wow! I have never seen a filter like that. Impressive. A buddy on firecrew says everyone runs the fine filters to keep all the charcoal dust out, which is especially bad on saws apparently.

Back