• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chainsaw supplies

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have been buying everything you need to maintain 5 chainsaws running for over 20 years from Baileys online. A few months ago, I tried to order just a few chains and the shipping was $ 89.95. I called to see what the error was or to see if they could do it for less. I buy Oregon chains, about $25 each. They told me they were really sorry, nothing they could do. It really felt like your best friend tells you he can't come and visit anymore, LOL I tried again a few days ago. Added 2 chains to the shopping cart, $89.95 shipping. I asked around and a club member arborist recommends me Madsens in I think Washington State. YOu have to call, no online ordering. I tell them the size I need for my 372XP and he tells me that if I buy one chain, I get a second one FREE! Baileys never ever gave me anything for free. I bought a benchtop chain sharpener, 8 chains, well, 4 FREE ones, a few boxes of files to sharpen on the field, and a box of flat files for the rakers. They included a neat little booklet from Oregon Chains about safety. I have spent thousands of dollars with Baileys, felt like I was abandoned, they did not care about losing a long term client. I'm now a happy customer of Madsen's. I highly recommend them. I tried to explain to the Baileys lady that Hawaii is a State of the Union since 1959, that you can send us a flat rate box through the USPS for $19.95, the same price to all 50 States included Puerto Rico and all Military bases around the world. I can not tell you how many times I have heard, sorry, we do not ship to Hawaii. I used to buy all my supplies from the Woodturners catalog, they used to be almost the only one around, other than Packards. I placed a good-sized order when they first offered free shipping. I called them and I was told sorry, no to Hawaii. I have never ordered anything again from them either. I enjoy sponsoring the small woodturner turned entrepreneur, like Ken Rizza, Steve Worcester, the sanding glove, of course, Doug Thompson and others. End of rant, carry on. Aloha

The price you pay to live in paradise.
We have the tourists over 100,000,000 last year
LOL - we just became one of those after spending the month of January in Ft. Myers (first time snowbirds). Drove from MI - it was a mass exodus of campers from Ontario/Michigan and any other northern state heading down there for their Jan 1 rentals.

Emilano, why don't you just buy a spool of chain? I think it's 100 feet, but I'm probably wrong. Then you just build up the chains you need, when you need them, just like band saw blades. That presumes all your chains are the same dimensions even if the bar length varies.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Madsen's is great. Been a customer for over 20 years. They excel at oddball things: old parts, obscure things. Always helpful.

That said, as an owner of many Stihl saws: I buy most of my products from my local dealer, as they have the same pricing all over the country, and though it may be fighting words, their chains are the finest on the market. Oregon is a close second.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Madsen's is great. Been a customer for over 20 years. They excel at oddball things: old parts, obscure things. Always helpful.

That said, as an owner of many Stihl saws: I buy most of my products from my local dealer, as they have the same pricing all over the country, and though it may be fighting words, their chains are the finest on the market. Oregon is a close second.
I also support my local dealer. But they hardly have anything in there.I do buy my saws from them, for the warranty and also for repairs. I buy a part when I need small things like screws or spikes, a chain now and then. Sometimes they do not have them in stock. I buy my oil and bar oil from them.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emilano, why don't you just buy a spool of chain? I think it's 100 feet, but I'm probably wrong. Then you just build up the chains you need, when you need them, just like band saw blades. That presumes all your chains are the same dimensions even if the bar length varies.
I have been thinking that for years. For a charge, Madsens will make your chains out of a spool. I never made them myself. I will have to do the math and see how much you save. If I could share a spool with a friend that might work. My 2 big saws use the same chain, different lengths, the 2 smaller saw another size chain, and the one I use for limbing yet another size...

I have been thinking that for years. For a charge, Madsens will make your chains out of a spool. I never made them myself. I will have to do the math and see how much you save. If I could share a spool with a friend that might work. My 2 big saws use the same chain, different lengths, the 2 smaller saw another size chain, and the one I use for limbing yet another size...
I have no vested interest in any merchant, but here's one offering of bulk chain that might fit your larger saws, just as an example. One 100' spool will make 20-22 chains in what I assume to be your Hawaiian length bar. ;) https://www.loggerchain.com/100-73EXL100U-Reel-New-Oregon-Chainsaw-chain-3-8-058-gauge-73EXL100U.htm

There are also 25' spools. That may not save much over individual chains, but it would allow you to have a spool for your larger saws and a spool for your medium sized saws. 5-6 chains per spool, so you'd have trouble running out of sharp chains.

There's a simple $5 mechanical tool to push the pin out to release the correct length of chain, and then push it back in to create the loop. (It's up to the owner to be smart enough to get the cutters on the outside of the loop:p ) Takes 1 minute to do and the chain comes with extra links.

Again, I'm not selling anything here, just offering up something for your consideration.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have no vested interest in any merchant, but here's one offering of bulk chain that might fit your larger saws, just as an example. One 100' spool will make 20-22 chains in what I assume to be your Hawaiian length bar. ;) https://www.loggerchain.com/100-73EXL100U-Reel-New-Oregon-Chainsaw-chain-3-8-058-gauge-73EXL100U.htm

There are also 25' spools. That may not save much over individual chains, but it would allow you to have a spool for your larger saws and a spool for your medium sized saws. 5-6 chains per spool, so you'd have trouble running out of sharp chains.

There's a simple $5 mechanical tool to push the pin out to release the correct length of chain, and then push it back in to create the loop. (It's up to the owner to be smart enough to get the cutters on the outside of the loop:p ) Takes 1 minute to do and the chain comes with extra links.

Again, I'm not selling anything here, just offering up something for your consideration.
Definitely something to look into it. My main saws are 22, 24 and 28. The 24 is my 570 and my to-go saw, smaller engine than the 372xp but somehow more powerful. I'm building an outside workbench so I can start sharpening chains with my new toy, I mean my new tool.

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
That's unbelievable. I need to order some chains and would have gotten them from Baileys, but not now. Vicki sometimes spends a crazy amount of time trying to reduce shipping costs for customers if it seems too expensive-seems like the right way to do it. I hate companies that just don't seem to care.

Someone should send a copy of this thread to the owner/ceo/boss at Baileys.

John

Back