• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Selling Price for PM 3520

I’m selling a powermatic 3520 from 1998, any idea what a fair price would be? I’m thinking about $2000. The tail stock is upgraded to 3520B tail stock and the switch is brand new?

I have a 3520 that I was hoping to sell for about $2000. With a 3520B tail stock Quill and lead screw, and a higher quality metal switch replacement
What do you guys think about the price?

96A8E0A2-DA6A-4131-821F-B16C1E909D29.jpeg

5A36C84F-8D87-4C9D-BC55-77F299443A16.jpeg

A698DDEF-98D3-49D2-8AB2-BEAD289D8440.jpeg

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
The new ones have some improved features that, to some extent, can de-value older lathes without those features. While the list price is $4500 (delivered), they occasionally go on sale for a lot less (apparently less than $3900 recently, delivery included).

I agree in principal that new ones can have new and improved features, the key word being “can”. In this case the only useful feature that Powermatic has manage to add in 20 years is a digital readout, about $40 worth of parts. And they added a detachable on/off switch, which is hardly a necessity.
They did beef up the tail stock which I upgraded on this lathe but in return they got rid of the Baldor motor and vfd and this actually make the newer ones less valuable. And they took manufacturing off shore. Nothing holds up like a Baldor motor.
I think your argument would be more suited for say comparing 2 vehicles of the same model but 20 years age difference, then I would agree that the newer one have additional features commanding a higher value.
I have numerous power tools ranging from brand new to 110 years old and the most impressive ones are the ones built from 1960 to 1980’s. A lot of the newer stuff is just built so cheaply that they’re practically committing fraud on their customers.
Going back to this lathe, the red power switch is a piece of plastic chinese junk, and yet powermatic charges $90 for it I was able to cross reference it and buy the identical switch for $5.94 on line. I ordered it just out of curiosity to confirm if it was identical, and it was. I was then able to find a cosmetically identical American made switch new for $20 with the difference being that the internal plastic parts and switch body on the USA made one were metal instead of plastic on the original powermatic.
So have no delusions Today’s powermatic and Jet tools are built as cheaply as possible to maximize profit; $90 for a $5 switch is a perfect example of how powermatic operates today.
Just one other side note, I came up with the $2000 price based on the fact that several members of this forum appear to have sold their 3520B lathes for around $3000.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
That seems a little high. I have a 3520A that I bought brand new for $2000. But hey, ask it. If it doesn't sell then you know it's too high. if it does then great.

I'm not so sure that's an A. It might very well be the original run, prior to the introduction of the A. The name lettering is not that of an A, and the banjo is quite different.

Used machinery prices are horrible in my region right now. I see really optimistic pricing with some horrible looking machinery on Facebook Marketplace. Can't imagine they sell at those prices. My friends and I talk often how people would rather buy new Chinese compared to old American. No idea on a machine of that age.

Hello Mark,
I bought the metal switch at a local electrical supply place, “Northern Electric in Auburn Hills, Michigan. It turns out it’s just a 22mm panel switch. I might be stopping in there again next week for something else, I’ll ask what the brand was since I already forgot.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Eugene, I extracted your posts from a couple different threads and combined them into this new thread primarily because your posts were off topic in those threads. Also, posting basically the same information in multiple threads is considered spamming (and is frowned upon by the moderators :(). It is better to start a new thread if your post isn't a response to the current discussion in the thread.

Back