• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sharpening

Z0n-VwGjp6-caYFP3ahNZpR9g-tqPoUQNjNZao32usdgAk7yhRbpaLOuWjxCkHFZbwMbZg=s88

Sorby HSS, flat, RS230C
How would you sharpen this? One supplier states rub top surface on a flat stone another says sharpen edge at 85 degrees. Help!!! TIA.

Ray

With a good platform, close to the wheel, and very little pressure. Not sure how big the diameter is on it, but if less than 1/2 inch, I would want a jig. Oh, slow speed grinder and CBN wheels.

robo hippy

I do mine on a Grizzly wet grinder with the Tormek gouge jig - extra shaft comes with it. Clifton’s suggestion is the next best thing using your gouge jig support. For a round one like that the steel rod can be drill mounted or chuck mounted on the lathe and use a diamond card or paddle on the bevel. They work best with a bit of a hook from a carbide burnisher. I’d say no steeper than ann 80 deg bevel

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I replaced my SVD-185 with an SVD-186. The SVD-185 is relegated to this purpose.

You can buy the three key pieces for about $40 (+shipping & tax) from Advanced Machinery (https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/pages/tormek-home). The parts you need are :

504AAD68-A467-4B4A-8708-90716C1B08DC.jpeg

You will also need a screw, M5-0.8 x 10mm.

Thanks Rick! I bought a used, like new, Tormek 2000, 9.5" wheel. In the box of attachments there was a SVD-1850 along with the update kit SVD-005. I will give it a try. I also bookmarked the website for future jigs/parts.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
George,

I’ve had a T-2000 since 2002. Great machine. I’ve only upgraded/replaced these parts:
  • The SVD-186 is a HUGE improvement over the SVD-185.
  • Mine came with the ADV-50D diamond truing tool. That is not fun or easy to use. It was replaced by the TT-50. If the diamond tip is good, you can get the TT-50U and move the diamond tip from the AVD-50D. (That’s what I did.)
  • The drive shaft on T-2000s was steel and easily rusted. Also, the grindstone retaining nut requires a wrench and can be tough to remove. The replacement shaft, MSK-250, is really nice. It is stainless steel and also doesn’t require a wrench.
  • The new universal support bar has a micro adjust nut. That is nice.
  • Consider adding the SB-250 grindstone. It works better on HSS, and lasts longer. The SG-250 works; the SB-250 just works better.
Also, I catalogued the maintenance one should do on a Tormek. Here’s a link => http://sharpeninghandbook.info/indexTormekMaintenance.html

There is a Tormek user forum. It is as useful as this one as there are many experts who can assist you. https://www.tormek.com/forum/index.php

Wolfgang at Advanced Machinery is really responsive when questions are posed. I use email to contact him as I’m usually not in a rush.

Final note: I recommend you register your machine with Tormek. That gives you access to the Tormek Handbook. (FYI, on some early machines, there is no serial number.)

You will like the Tormek. Great machine.

Kind regards,
Rich

Back