• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Horsepower requirements for coring

I am curious if there is a HP requirement for coring? I notice most larger lathes use a 2 hp motor but a friend recently told me that you really need 3 hp if you are going to core. Does anyone have any experience or insights into coring requirements that you would be willing to share?

Thanks,
Bill

You can core with a 1.5 hp lathe....it will be a slow go for sure, and stalling will likely be a big part of your process. A 2 hp will be better, but still slower. 3 hp would be best. I've owned and cored on both 2 & 3 hp lathes......I would much rather use my 3 hp lathes, as more torque on low end speed is available with a 3 hp unit, and one is able to power through the process at a reasonable feed rate and rpm.

I started coring on a 1-1/2 hp Jet 1642 - it does quite well as long as you’re not in a hurry. Sharp tools help and all the practice honing the Kelton tools is valuable...I’ve got 3 hp now and the lessons learned coring with the MacNaughton on a 1-1/2 hp lathe have served me well. Slow down and enjoy the process and sharpen your tools.

Well, it can be done on a 1 hp lathe, which would be easier with the Woodcut or Oneway systems, and considerably more difficult with the McNaughton, especially if you are trying to figure it out. I cored for years on a 2 hp 3520A, and can't really say that I noticed a difference when I went to the 3 hp Beauty. Haven't yet cored on my Vicmarc 240 though. All coring systems are scrapers. Having a good sharp burr makes for easier cutting.

robo hippy

I regularly core with a 2 HP variable speed lathe running with the belt at the slowest setting to yield max torque. I typically core at about 375 rpm, using the Oneway Easy Core system and their new carbide cutters. I have had no problems what-so-ever doing this.

Website
hogmountainwoodworks.com
I core all the time on my 2hp 3520. Never stalled it. I sharpen my cutter each bowl. Like others- low gearing on the belt. I’m sure if I wanted to really hog away material I could stress the lathe out but why? I’ve had a couple of catches while coring and that’s a real pucker moment. I’m already saving time by coring, so I don’t rush it.

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
I cored on my PM3520B that had a 2hp motor and had no problems, but I will admit coring the larger bowls (17" to 20") are much easier with my 3 hp American Beauty. With the 3 HP you can core with tips that are not necessarily as sharp as you need with less HP. In my experience the less the motor power the sharper your coring tools need to be even to the point of having to sharpen half way through a bowl. Please don't get me wrong regardless of your motor power the sharper your coring tools the better everything goes.

Back