• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Good finish for Mahogeny

Turned a small mahogany bowl at my clubs booth during the woodworking show when it was in town. First time turning that species, what is a good finish for the mahogany? WOP, rattle can laquer, Mahoney walnut oil. I also have ting oil which I love on my arts and craft style furniture. Something else? Grain seems plain to me, need something to make it pop!

Paul

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Grain seems plain to me, need something to make it pop!
Paul

you can’t make the grain more interesting with a shiny finish. Best chance of popping is some carving or texturing. Could paint the outside with black gesso and carve a bunch of straight lines that make a pattern with small v gouge palm carver

Below are two Sapele seed jars. One with sandcarved milk painted feather motive and a second one with a couple coats of Waterlox. Mahogany is great fir simple carving and texturing.
reacts with milk paint to turn the woof a bronze color.

F1FEB35A-544E-4961-B2A5-9A6838ECCF66.jpeg Black over blue milk paint sanded back to show wood and blue paint gives an ancient artifact effect.
0C459E3E-E9C5-47BA-8F7C-861896C36EB4.jpeg This one will get a similar treatment to the one above.

Last edited:
I have had good success with tung oil. I've turned a lot of mahogany and made furniture with it as well. Like hockenbery said, It is typically not a popping grain kind of wood.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
My favorite finish is to dye it red with trans Tint dyes. Then rub brown shoe polish into it. It gives it the look of that antique mahagony. Then apply a coat of shellac to seal it followed by whatever finish you like.

Turned a small mahogany bowl at my clubs booth during the woodworking show when it was in town. First time turning that species, what is a good finish for the mahogany? WOP, rattle can laquer, Mahoney walnut oil. I also have ting oil which I love on my arts and craft style furniture. Something else? Grain seems plain to me, need something to make it pop!

Paul
Good old shellac is a good finish for a lot of woods, including mahogany. It make the grain pop better than most other finishes.

Thank you for your responses. It’s a small bowl, to small for carving or fluting. Popping the grain probably not the best description for mahogany. I went with tung oil and it looks much much better with just one coat. I will put probably two more then buff it. Again thanks for you responses

Paul

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Thank you for your responses. It’s a small bowl, to small for carving or fluting. Popping the grain probably not the best description for mahogany. I went with tung oil and it looks much much better with just one coat. I will put probably two more then buff it. Again thanks for you responses
Paul

Tung oil should give it a nice warm look. If you like it that is all that matters.

too small? This little piece is 5” diameter 789A8010-6103-4448-A5D0-835AC7F77F1D.jpeg

Many embellishment techniques are tedious a go lot faster on smaller pieces, for that reason the small ones make great projects for texturing.

enjoy it for now.
In a few years if you haven’t found it new home you might consider.
stippling, pyrography, palm carving, sandcarving, airbrushing, milkpaint etc.

I’ve redone a couple of old pieces that I thought would benefit from embellishment.
Just painting the top of the rim red or black can make a big difference in a plain grained bowl.

Last edited:
Back