• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Beware club officers- Latest Scam

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
The below post was made on FB - Woodturners Around the Globe - regarding the most recent scam, targeting turning club officers. After the original post, several more people commented with their story of an encounter with the poser/scammer, including an officer in one of my turning clubs.

'Just a word of caution: This morning I received an extremely convincing series of text messages allegedly from the president of my woodturning club. I’m the VP and at first thought the money request must be associated with the club. When it was personal, I still considered it, because I trust him. Only the extreme amount he needed sent via PayPal (and a quick consult with someone I phoned) tipped me off. I’m not an easily gullible person, so I’m a little shaken by how close I came to being scammed. It was from him and to me by name and was very conversational. I’m told this has happened to other clubs and friends, too. Don’t get taken!!'

Always try to validate a request in person or by phone.
I know our club has a policy on having multiple board members approve expenditures above a certain dollar value.
CEO fraud is a big cause of money loss in world business.
Not just CEO's but anyone can be a target. 'Grandchildren' calling to get a loan because they are in a bind somewhere is a common scam on seniors.
This site sells training about scams, but this page has some good explainers and tactics to prevent being scammed.
https://www.knowbe4.com/ceo-fraud.

You think you have it bad, the Social Security Agency called me today and informed they cancelled my Social Security Number because there was fraudulent activity on my account.
Anymore when my cell phone rings I automatically answer the phone with two words and hang up. You block every number and they call with a new number every week. I pay money every month so these A-holes can interrupt my day with their nuisance phone calls every freaking day.

You think you have it bad, the Social Security Agency called me today and informed they cancelled my Social Security Number because there was fraudulent activity on my account.
.............................................................................................................

Yep, had that one too.

The latest one for us is the power company saying our electricity is being cutoff unless we immediately pay our overdue bill via credit card.

The latest one is an email requesting that you send wood burls to an address in Dalworthington Gardens, TX or your AAW account will be suspended. :)
That's one way to build your wood stash. :)

Will watch for those scams.;)
Did have some fun with a phone one that I accidentally picked up-- from the "IRS" that I owed 7K---I told him that I sent a money order last time they called--caused all kinds of excitement on his end until he figured out that I was bogus--learned some new cuss words.

Another new scam is a bogus web site of well known companies or organizations. The bogus site is a perfect reproduction of the actual legitimate site. Except... the contact e-mail address is slightly different. Send an e-mail or click on a phony link and you are connected to the crooks. Who pose as representatives of the legit company.

Anyone wanting to get in on a wood blank Ponzi Scheme can send me (1) wood blank and your mailing address. :)
Get in at the top and you will have a warehouse full of wood blanks in a year or two. :)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The latest one is an email requesting that you send wood burls to an address in Dalworthington Gardens, TX or your AAW account will be suspended. :)
That's one way to build your wood stash. :)

That one isn't a scam. Have you complied with the email directive yet? So far, everybody else on the forum has complied.

1. There's a problem delivering your package, please log on to......
2. Your social security account is in danger of being closed unless you immediately contact......
3. Your nephew was in an accident in boonfark and needs bail money sent by wire
4. Your relative great aunt spinster is the beneficiary of an inheritance and we need to contact her to turn it over to her. Please.....
5. Family in a town woke up to find a for sale sign in their front yard. They called the Realtor to have them remove the sign, The Realtor claims........
6. I think I would buy your thingamajign advertised for $100, but all I have is a postal money order for a car I sold that is X thousand dollars. Please cash the money order and give the change to the shipping agent who comes this afternoon to pick up the thingybob........
7. Young woman dark eyes and very slender. I left my shopping cart full of stuff to open my car and a person swooped by and stold my bags of groceries. I need baby supplies, I am out of pampers and formula can you give me something, all my money was in those groceries. (The only thing she intends to buy is heroine)
8. I am the treasurer for a bannana republic and need to transfer $5 billion dollars to a bank account in America. You can keep half for your cooperation, just send your pin and account number to me at ..........
9. Out of the Blue: Strange envelope, no return address, Here is the money I owed you signed (scribble) The money order is made out to you. So you take the money order for $1,00, deposit it to your account and 5 days later they drain your account.

10. Your (fill in just about anything) account has been compromised, please log into ..............
11. There is an outstanding warrant for your arrest for an unpaid ticket in (where ever). The deputy is waiting down the road for word on whether you paid, or he must come pick you up..

12 Rent this beautiful beach front villa in St Augustine in March during Spring Break. Recent cancellation leave tremendous opportunity for cheap rate to fill the week. (Of course the place is owner occupied and the agent is bogus. Family travels a thousand miles to find they are out the money, key doesn't work and no place to stay. )

Will watch for those scams.;)
Did have some fun with a phone one that I accidentally picked up-- from the "IRS" that I owed 7K---I told him that I sent a money order last time they called--caused all kinds of excitement on his end until he figured out that I was bogus--learned some new cuss words.

I used to get frustrated...and downright P.O.'ed about all of the scam calls. ...But one day it occurred to me that a change of perspective would be better for my health - and even provide some entertainment as part of the "viewpoint realignment"....:D.
Soooo...now - I make it my goal to keep them on the phone as long as possible. ( I use a pair of Sony bluetooth headphones with my PAPR respirator - so I can listen to music - and answer calls while making shavings....). I even kept one on the phone for 18 minutes while I Gabe them the excuse that I was using the bathroom, and - while embarrassing...if they could be patient, we could work something out. Would like to think that the added sound effects I created for the crank call - were worthy of an attempt to win an Oscar. They finally figured out I was merely jerking their chain....and the syllabic river of curse words that flowed from could have filled a 55 gallon drum.....:cool::D:D:D....fun times.

I feel better now that I have more details. The emails sent out in my name were in "name only." In other words, when the recipient looked at the email it did say it was from "Mike Nathal" but when he checked the actual email address, it was a series of numbers and letters and not my true email address. So it was a "spoof" and not a "hack".

Back