• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bandsaw question

I am looking to upgrade my bandsaw from an inexpensive Rigid to one with runs better and has greater cutting capacity. It needs to live in a small workspace with low ceiling height and needs to be mobile, 110/220 not an issue. I’ve been looking at what seems to be the 3 contenders in my size/price range: Laguna 14-12, Rikon 10-326, and Jet JWBS14-SFX. They have similar specs and are about the same price. I have seen online reviews that talk about Laguna’s ceramic blocks having problems with coming loose. Other reviews talk about poor fit and finish on the Jet. My local Woodcraft sales said the Laguna just runs better than the Rikon and the ceramic blocks are far better than bearing guides. Anyone have experience with these machines.

Personally, I'd look into getting an older Delta 14" bandsaw, preferably with the riser block. They're available for a lot less than a new one, and parts are readily available for them. My saw was built in the 30s. and works great. I upgraded the motor to 1 hp.

I have the Jet 14-SFX and am generally happy with it. One proviso, I bought mine when they first came out, and Jet made some changes to the model during that first year of production. The base on mine is straight sided, while the revamped model's base has sloping sides like a pyramid and there are other changes underneath the skin. So keep this in mind when reviewing owner comments.

Fit and finish were on par with the level of imperfect we've come to expect from the major makers. Customer service has been great. After several months of use I realized the table was crowned. Jet replaced the table with a flat one. The fence needed some shimming accomplished with packaging tape (note the revamp has a different fence). A few of the screws attaching the blade guard had not been properly tightened at the factory and this took me a while to figure out. I can't remember any other fit and finish issues.

There is one design flaw that Jet may have addressed. The tensioning knob drives a threaded shaft which passes through the tensioning spring and then threads on to a nut. The nut is not captured, so if you over loosen the tension knob the nut falls off into the machine. It took me 3 hours to get this nut threaded back on. At AAW Jet indicated they were addressing this, but when you are reducing tension it is simple enough to make sure you watch the nut and don't go too far.

Instructions call for a 116 1/4" blade, but Jet assures me it will work with 116". On the other hand getting custom 116 1/4" blades has not been a problem, though you may have to call and speak to a real person rather than order on line.

Otherwise I like the saw. Big table, big saw capacity for the foot print, two miter slots. And runs on 120V. I have mine on a Bora mobile base (3500).

As to guides I think they all work, but they can all be replaced with something else, if you choose.

I wish it had a brake (then it would be perfect). I am happy with the decission, but if I was buying over again and I had 240V then I would look at spending for the Laguna 14 SUV, but that's me.

Depending on the intended task being performed by the bandsaw, no matter what size you get you will always run into capacity issues. If you are wanting to re-saw logs or billets the larger the bandsaw the better. If you are wanting to round bowl blanks an electric chainsaw will work on any size of log you have to size. The intended purpose of the equipment helps in determining the best solution for intended tasks. Bigger pieces of wood being processed on a bandsaw usually require larger horsepower of motors to power the length of blade that is cutting the wood. Smaller diameter wheels on the bandsaw have smaller amounts of surface area to drive the bandsaw blade, larger diameter wheels provide larger amounts of surface area to drive the bandsaw blade just so long as you have the appropriate amount of horsepower to drive the blade through the thickness and hardness of wood.

I bought a Laguna - 14 BX with my primary reason being the brake. Every time I use the saw, the brake is used and appreciated. I know there are many ways to get around the need for a brake, I just find the safety of immediately stopping the blade and not having to wait for the blade to coast to a stop is well worth the cost. My experience with the saw has been excellent, would buy again without hesitation except for the Laguna - 18BX would be hard to resist.

I struggled about a year ago with his decision. I was vacillating between Laguna and Rikon. So - I googled both companies. Seems the Laguna brand has a perhaps...permanent black eye as for their inconsistent, to really bad customer service. I hated that...because the Laguna brand is thought of as a very good product. But - I would rather buy a product that may/may not be exactly up to the same level of " perceived " value...but with better customer service. I tested both companies responsiveness by making several inquiries from different locations, and using different names. ( Yes...I can be that ...devious in an effort to spend my money wisely...:D ). Rikon responded swiftly in each occasion. I am still waiting on some return phone calls from Laguna......:rolleyes::cool::D.
I ordered a new Rikon 10-347. 18", 4hp band saw. It had all of the features of the Laguna, plus a couple.
I needed customer service 1 time once it arrived. I lost a minor part during the assembly. They sent me a new one - no charge, and I had it in 2 days from the time I placed the phone call to attempt to purchase the part.
So, I ask you the age old question: "What's in a name...?" I think the answer depends on what you feel the value of support for a product - no matter how good it is - should be....

I upgraded from a 14" Delta (cira 2008) to a Laguna two years ago and love it. I've had no issues with the creamic blocks or anything else for that matter.

Just got my Laguna 18BX set up today and really like it. I've done a couple of blade changes and it's quick and easy. I like the ceramic guides and really like the foot brake. I was cutting up some big logs and didn't really have a free hand to shut down the saw.

Based on everyones comments I was leaning towards the the Laguna BX but. I have a laguna lathe (18/36) that needed a new spindle, talked to customer service and ordered a new part Jan 9 with my card being charged. No word from them, called and emailed repeatedly. They called back 2 days ago, part had been shipped but would be within a day. Still waiting for shipment notice. So nice machines but not sure I want to deal with unreliable customer service.

Maybe expand your search? The Rikon 10-353 has a brake, but it's $2k. Grizzly is know for good customer service, but also for a high rate of manufacturing defects. But then my Jet had some issues, too (they were all satisfactorily resolved). The Jet is $100 off with free shipping at Rockler until Feb 27.

Last edited:
Rikon has impeccable customer service. As well - they OWN the factory which makes their bandsaws and parts. RIKON has personnel that are posted to the factory in China as QC and production mgmt. That is not the case for Jet, and Laguna. They contract to various manufacturers in China. I was told this by someone that works for a company not associated with any of the brands I mentioned - but works in this industry. Not knocking any brand - just illustrating that there are different business models...that may make a difference when you need parts

I purchased the Rikon 10-326. I will second the excellent customer service. My table had two casting voids in the miter slots. They were filled with lead. They quickly sent me a new table. It is a nice saw.
I am fairly happy with it. If I had it to do over I would most likely of ordered the Laguna though. I am not super happy with the fence. The spring loaded roller guides are ok, but not great. One of them came with a crossthreaded locking knob from the factory. I had to tap the weld nuts in the base to fit the bolts. (not slag or flash, actually the wrong thread pitch) Overall a good saw, but not great. I got on sale from Rockler on black Friday. I can't say I would buy it again.
TLDR
Upside excellent customer service.
Downside you might have to use it.

Rikon has impeccable customer service. As well - they OWN the factory which makes their bandsaws and parts. RIKON has personnel that are posted to the factory in China as QC and production mgmt. That is not the case for Jet, and Laguna. They contract to various manufacturers in China. I was told this by someone that works for a company not associated with any of the brands I mentioned - but works in this industry. Not knocking any brand - just illustrating that there are different business models...that may make a difference when you need parts

Owning the factory will make a big difference if you need parts in the future. Manufacturers who job out their production will always run out of parts with no way to make them again. Nova is one of those.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
I own the Rikon. It's a solid, frill-free saw. I've running it thru the wringer over and over. My shipwright buddy has had his a good ten years, and it's spent many a day in the rain at the shipyard.

Cons: the fence on the Rikon is cheap, but I cut most everything freehand. The bearing guides are also cheap. The Carter replacements are supposed to be great, but I've just learned to live with less than perfect bearings. The lower door fills with sawdust FAST. Not a recommended safety procedure, but I just leave the door off, which works great.

Everyone I know with the Laguna loves them, and they seem like smoother saws, especially for ripping with a fence. If you can, try out both saws.

Get the Timberwolf green wood blades...they make a huge difference for what we do.

I have a laguna lathe (18/36) that needed a new spindle, talked to customer service and ordered a new part Jan 9 with my card being charged. No word from them, called and emailed repeatedly. They called back 2 days ago, part had been shipped but would be within a day. Still waiting for shipment notice. So nice machines but not sure I want to deal with unreliable customer service.

Did your part ever arrive?

I own the Rikon. It's a solid, frill-free saw. I've running it thru the wringer over and over. My shipwright buddy has had his a good ten years, and it's spent many a day in the rain at the shipyard.

The Carter replacements are supposed to be great, ....

They are, IMHO. I love them. I also bought there special upper guide for doing fancy cuts with the 1/8" blade. I found them pretty easier to work with and align to the blade.

My lathe parts finally arrived from Laguna, 28 days from when ordered/paid to delivery, 4 emails & 3 phone calls to customer service to find out if they had shipped. CS called back finally and said they were shipping, arrived 4 days latter. My spindle was out of round (long story and my fault) and replacement is installed and problem fixed. Haven't made a band saw decision yet but looking hard at the Jet JWBS14-SFX.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I use the Lenox TRI-MASTER Carbide Band Saw Blade - ½”, 3 TPI. They are a bit expensive, but last so much longer and cut greatly for significantly longer that traditional blades.

Kind regards,
Rich

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
I looked at a number of 14 inch bandsaws and chose the Laguna 14/12. It is very well made and runs smoothly. I opted for the wheels so that I could move it when needed. The ceramic guides are not a problem and do not seem to wear. You have to adjust them properly, especially when you change blades. The only negative I see on the 14/12 is that there is no foot brake to stop the blade. You have to pay attention to the moving blade that continues to move even after you turn off the power. I've had the lathe for two years now and am amazed at what I can do that I couldn't do with my smaller Craftsman bandsaw.

Hmm, I would guess first thing you need to figure out is how high do you want to cut? For me, my big bandsaw, the Laguna 16HD with a 4.5 hp Baldor, provided all I need. I don't do bowls over that size. Since I got it, my electric chainsaw sits idle. I have a smaller PM bandsaw for cutting circles, but it only has 6 inch height ability. Some times I want a bit more height for it. I really like the foot brake on the Laguna and the ceramic blade guides.

Dust collection on bandsaws is designed for dry wood only, and when cutting slabs for bowl blanks, I stand them on end/vertically so I get lots of hair balls down under the table. I did a video about 'Bandsaw dust ports do not suck' a while back, and still need to new and improve on it.

For bowl cutting blades, the Lennox Diemaster Bimetal blades can't be beat. The teeth are M42HSS, which is what the teeth on the pallet cutting blades are. You don't ruin a blade if you hit a nail. The 3 tpi blades can be resharpened numerous times. For cutting slabs, a 1 1/4 blade with teeth about 3/4 inch apart is best.

If you never want to cut higher than 12 inches, then the smaller bandsaws with a riser block can work, but if you cut the full 12 inches high, 1 hp is a bit under powered.

Still working on new and improving my Chainsaw Chopsaw.... It works pretty good as is, but with some work, I might be able to refine it to the point where I don't need to use the big bandsaw. I don't do much production work anymore, so maybe not vital, but efficiency is intelligent laziness.... Hmm, maybe a electric chainsaw with a 3 foot long blade, and guides on both ends???? Oh yea, an electric up and down option/cart.....

robo hippy

Still working on new and improving my Chainsaw Chopsaw.... It works pretty good as is, but with some work, I might be able to refine it to the point where I don't need to use the big bandsaw. I don't do much production work anymore, so maybe not vital, but efficiency is intelligent laziness.... Hmm, maybe a electric chainsaw with a 3 foot long blade, and guides on both ends???? Oh yea, an electric up and down option/cart.....

robo hippy

It'd need a sort of flexible blade guard that could conform to the object's profile as you push the blade into it and that would still allow the blade to continue moving downward.

It's a great idea.

I've had my Laguna 14/12 for four years, no issues with the guides or anything else for that matter.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely.

I struggled about a year ago with his decision. I was vacillating between Laguna and Rikon. So - I googled both companies. Seems the Laguna brand has a perhaps...permanent black eye as for their inconsistent, to really bad customer service. I hated that...because the Laguna brand is thought of as a very good product. But - I would rather buy a product that may/may not be exactly up to the same level of " perceived " value...but with better customer service. I tested both companies responsiveness by making several inquiries from different locations, and using different names. ( Yes...I can be that ...devious in an effort to spend my money wisely...:D ). Rikon responded swiftly in each occasion. I am still waiting on some return phone calls from Laguna......:rolleyes::cool::D.
I ordered a new Rikon 10-347. 18", 4hp band saw. It had all of the features of the Laguna, plus a couple.
I needed customer service 1 time once it arrived. I lost a minor part during the assembly. They sent me a new one - no charge, and I had it in 2 days from the time I placed the phone call to attempt to purchase the part.
So, I ask you the age old question: "What's in a name...?" I think the answer depends on what you feel the value of support for a product - no matter how good it is - should be....

Couldn’t agree more about Laguna CS. I’ve never experienced as bad in my life for anything. Completely non-responsive to emails, phone messages and anything else. It’s a shame too because I was going to spend quite a bit more money with them but now I wouldn’t give anything they make a second look. Either they don’t care or they don’t get it.

From what I have read, Laguna used to have bad customer service but they fixed it in recent years, do they still have that issue?
I am planning to buy the Laguna 14bx 2.5hp bandsaw and was concerned about the customer service. I don’t have room for 18” bandsaw.

From what I have read, Laguna used to have bad customer service but they fixed it in recent years, do they still have that issue?
I am planning to buy the Laguna 14bx 2.5hp bandsaw and was concerned about the customer service. I don’t have room for 18” bandsaw.
My experience is ongoing. Try contacting them with a service related question on a tool as if you already own it and see how they do.

About a year ago, I decided I wanted a spare set of ceramic guides for my Laguna 14/12.

I called Laguna, placed my order over the phone and had the parts about 3 days later. Very pleasant transaction.

I also don't release the tension on my bandsaw blade.

I have three Laguna tools, my 14/12 bandsaw, 24/26 Lathe and a Supermax 19-38 Drum Sander.

Back