• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bandsaw advice

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my older Delta 14" bandsaw. It doesn't have the riser block and I'd like at least 10" of resaw capacity. I want it for cutting bowl blanks for my 1840 lathe and also for resawing green and dry wood. Budget is around $1200. I've narrowed it down to Jet 14FSX or for a little more $ the Laguna 14BX. I really like the idea of the foot brake and the extra HP the 220v version offers. Laguna now has a 2-year warranty. Any thoughts or experiences with these? I emailed Laguna customer service with some questions and they replied in 10 minutes. That gives me confidence in their customer service. Both will be having a 10% off sale in January.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
One thing to be aware of is that cutting such tall (and potentially blade-stalling) pieces requires a fair bit of horsepower. If all things are equal, I'd choose the saw with the highest amp rating at comparable voltages (don't rely on manufacturer HP rating).

I have the 14SFX and I like it. I bought it because it was 120V and saved me the expense and hassle of bringing in another 240V circuit. Also gave me more options for placement since I wouldn't be tied to a 240V outlet.

I also liked the large table and dual miter slots.

But just the other day I was using it and wishing it had a brake. If the 240V was easy I think I'd want the brake. Are you looking at the Laguna 14 SUV?

I replaced my Delta 14" with the Laguna 14BX. The saw works great, takes a 3/4" blade, and is a big step up from the Delta, with more HP, two dust ports and the footbrake. Though I can't say that I have tried it to it's max rated capacity yet. I see that Laguna now has an 18BX that has more HP and takes a 1" blade for not much more.... Get the most you can afford.

At $2000 the 18BX is $500 more than the 14BX and $800 more than the Laguna 14-12 and Jet 14SFX which are both at $1200. I was originally budgeting at the lower end. I can go up to the 14BX for more HP and the safety of the foot brake. While I'd like the 18BX, that's just too much of a jump in price. All these saws are 10% right now so that helps.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Around 2000, I bought a 16” Laguna with 12” resaw. Still running well.
Probably turned a dozen pieces I could not cut with the 12” depth.

Several people who used the saw early on bought Laguna saws.

Don't forget the used market. I bought a 20" Yates American with foot brake for a whopping $100. Granted I replaced the 1 horsepower motor with a 2 horsepower motor. All in still less than $500. I believe the resale capacity is around 12".

Yes, a magnetic base gooseneck lamp with standard A bulb socket will let me use the appropriate bulb. Much better than a dedicated halogen or even LED.

With the medium base screw in socket style lamp you can use a variety of lamps and easily switch them out depending on the task at hand.
They even make a 2-wire plug-in adapter if you are hard up for a 120V outlet on some of the more complex projects that can happen on a lathe.
They make a variety of Halogen, LED, Compact Fluorescent and Incandescent medium base screw in bulbs in various focal designs (Flood, Spot) and wattages..

Interesting thread, I was considering Rikon 10-326 due to the feedback, is the Laguna a better bandsaw?the Rikon is in the same price range.

With the 10% off, the Laguna 14BX is only $150 more than the Rikon with more HP and the foot brake. There have been times when I'm cutting odd shaped and heavy pieces on my 14" Delta that I'd like to keep both hands on the work and be able to turn off the saw.

I'm a big fan of my Laguna 14|12. I think all the Laguna machines are 10% off right now. Sometimes I wish I had the brake, but not often.

Actual resaw capacity is 13.25" on them. So far I've had no issues cutting up to 13" thick London Plane, Flowering Plum, and Madrona, Maple, etc, logs standing on end and in typical orientation. If you're planning on resawing dry exotics at max max capacity the 1.75HP might not be enough, but for prepping bowls and spindles it's perfect.

Also, the ceramic guides on Lagunas tend to 'scrape' gunk off the blade as you run it, whereas our old Grizzly would steamroll the gunk onto the blade with the bearing guides.

Well I pulled the trigger today on a Laguna 18BX. I guess that's called scope/budget creep. The deal was too good to pass up and I didn't want to have any regrets. I'll keep you posted once it arrives and put into use. Plus my wife's jewelry budget is directly correlated to my tool expenditures so she fully supported the decision.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Well I pulled the trigger today on a Laguna 18BX. I guess that's called scope/budget creep. The deal was too good to pass up and I didn't want to have any regrets. I'll keep you posted once it arrives and put into use. Plus my wife's jewelry budget is directly correlated to my tool expenditures so she fully supported the decision.

i’ve never heard anyone complain about their bandsaw being TOO big!

as the old say goes cry once instead if every time you use the machine.

:) Enjoy.

Dale - I went through the same budget escalation process and ended up with the 18BX as well. When you do the math on the extra cost over a 14" divided by the years of usage/enjoyment the decision is easy. I seem to suffer from this problem with tools and cars.

Back