• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Interchangeable Tool Handles

I have a set of the OneWay Mastercut double ended gouges and one of the OneWay Mastercut handles. I'm not entirely happy with the handle which I find heavy. I am looking at the aluminum Hosaluk handles. Any other handles I should consider? Please note that to mount a double ended tool, the tool channel must run most of the length of the handle, so ordinary handles with a shallow channel will not work.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have a set of the OneWay Mastercut double ended gouges and one of the OneWay Mastercut handles. I'm not entirely happy with the handle which I find heavy. I am looking at the aluminum Hosaluk handles. Any other handles I should consider? Please note that to mount a double ended tool, the tool channel must run most of the length of the handle, so ordinary handles with a shallow channel will not work.
I like the Oneway handles, have 2 of them, only for roughing. They are way too heavy for regular cuts. I have a few Bosch handles, they are perfect for finishing cuts, light as a feather. I like the Thompson handles too, not as heavy as the Oneway. My favorite handles are the Stuart Batty carbon fiber handles, have about 4 of them in different lengths, they won't work for you with the double-ended gouges because you need the quick release "bolster", but I think maybe they have a collet for them that might work. I think Doug T. was selling collets, not sure for what handles... Lots of options out there. Let us know what you end up deciding on. Aloha

Website
adamcottrill.ca
I have made several from 1" aluminium tubing covered with 1" Id vinyl tube from the borg. I turned plugs for the ends from some blocks of white plastic (nylon or delrin maybe?) I picked up somewhere and drilled those to fit the tool in question. The plug on the business end is probably 4" or 5" long to provide good support for the cutting tool. A couple of 1/4" set screws and you are good to go. With a little care you can have a very respectable looking tool handle, especially if you polish the aluminium before putting on the outer tube. The first one or two I made had blind holes for the tools so that I could fill the rest of the handle with ballast, but like you, I found that was too heavy and just not necessary. Now all of my tool handle are made with a through hole so that I can easily use double ended gouges and control the amount the tool projects.

D way has some 'through' hole handles. They come with one set screw and a knob, maybe 1 1/4 inch diameter, with a set screw on it. Work great for a NRS, but tend to vibrate loose with a gouge, but not a problem to tighten up again...

robo hippy

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I have a couple D-way handles that I like pretty well. The main advantage I see is efficiency of tool storage for some lesser-used tools, with ability to take them out for sharpening also a consideration. My tool rack is only so big, and the unhandled tools take up less room while still being close to hand. OTOH, I'm strongly considering making wooden handles for those that I use more often, my big skew and my alternate grind bowl gouge. Handles I make fit my hands exactly and the tool is always ready to use. Anything that involves grub screws to change to tool would be a complete non-starter for me.

The best of both worlds might be a quick release collet that could be installed in a custom made wood handle.

You really need to check out the collet chuck sets offered by Robust

http://www.turnrobust.com/accessories/

Brent has collets that will fit any chisel up to 3/4". You can buy with/without handles and buy the chuck without collets.

I epoxied my two chucks into 1" plumbing pipe, but you could use lighter tubing if you want. I wrap the handles in bicycle handlebar tape for a soft grip.

No set screws to mess with. Loosen the chuck and tap to remove and change a chisel.

Dick Hob

Thanks for the valuable suggestions. I personally am not inclined to make a handle if a satisfctory off the shelf solution exists. Some of these may not work with the long double end tools, but I did confirm with Trent that his tools will. I'll be following up on the other leads.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
. I personally am not inclined to make a handle if a satisfctory off the shelf solution exists.

Many folks share your sentiments - Judging by the large number of companies in the handle market.
I enjoy making wooden handles... I do have one tool in a Glaser handle that I use all the time.

I think you will do well with the Bosch handles. Strong and light enough to work smoothly without tiring you out.

we all have different takes on what to buy and what to make.....

6 of us in my club got into vacuum chucking at about the same time semi-independently but we knew what the others were doing.

Amazing to me
3 built their own vacuum pumps and bought their chucks from ONEWAY
3 bought their vacuum pumps and plumbing kits and made all their chucks.

All got to working systems quickly.....

Stewart Batty Tools Carbon Fiber ER25 or ER32 Collet Handles are another option. These are collets, not the taper lock bolsters that required epoxy to secure the tool. I purchased mine from the Wood Workers Emporium in Las Vegas about 1.5 years ago. They might be the only dealer for SB Carbon Fiber Collet Tools. As mentioned, Robust also sells the ER25 or ER32 collet hardware for making your own handles or complete handles. Hurricane Turning Tools is another supplier of the Robust equipment.

Back