• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need advice on new lathe

Hello all,
I'm in the market for a new lathe and I'm wondering if anyone could over some insight on A Nova DVR Xr 1644 vs others in the $2500-$3500 price range. A little background: The shop I work in has a new 3520c and I love it but I'm not wanting to spend that much for my personal lathe. I do need to try to get a 110v if possible. I will be getting 220v in the home studio in the next year or so but I don't want to wait.

I was in Rockler to day and I took a look at the Laguna Revo 18/36, I was surprised at how much smaller it felt compared to the 3520c. I didn't like the location of the tailstock lock or the spindle height. Since I haven't had a chance to see a Nova dvr xr 1644in person, I'm wondering how that lathe comapres to the Laguna Revo 1836? Does it have the same lighter weight feel of the Laguna Revo?
I have also looked at Jet but I haven't seen one in person..

You’ll likely be able to source a 3520b for that budget. I just saw a 3520a with everything to start turning - several chucks, bed extension, tools, compressor, etc for $2500. If I we’re starting out again that’s what I’d focus on, a used setup with extras

I currently have the Laguna 1836. I have limited experience with other lathes. Had the old tube craftsman years ago and more recently a vintage delta. In general I’m happy with the laguna. I dislike the banjo as it has a shoulder that protrudes with larger diameter turnings. The steel bed ways tend to scratch easily.

Nova is coming out with an 18" lathe in their new style electronic variable speed lathes. This new lathe is supposed to be available in the spring of 2020. You might have a good chance of finding a used Powermatic in your area, I would check Craigslist and eBay for several months to see if you can find a package deal in your area, make sure you call right away on any listings that come up. Estate sales are another place to find good quality equipment and package deals.

I assume by "Nova dvr xr 1644" you mean the Galaxy. I have not had a chance to use either the Galay or the Revo 1836, but I do own the Nova 1624-II. I am generally very happy with it except for the blister buttons which were very poorly executed on this model. I was in my Rockler a couple of days ago admiring the Galaxy and the button problem has been fixed. The lathe is also a lot more massive than mine, I don't think you will find it "light weight". If I had to replace my lathe the Galaxy would probably be my choice. If your Rockler doesn't have one on display there must be somewhere in driving distance you could see one.

I have a Nova Galaxy which is probably the lathe you mean. The biggest selling point for me is the rotating/sliding headstock with bolt on outboard tool rest. Much quicker and easier to rotate the head vs removing the tailstock and sliding the head down or bending over the rails. If this doesnt appeal to you then several other makes are competitive - Laguna, Grizzly, Jet, Powermatic. If the Grizzly G0766 head rotated I’d probably have one - Im 50 miles from their MO distribution store.

https://www.teknatool.com/product/nova-orion-18-dvr-lathe-55250/

New orion lathe mentioned above, it's top of my list when I can buy a full sized lathe. I also want to wait and see how the reviews go and have nova work the kinks with early adopters first.

Looks to be a little heavier than the galaxi with the bed extension added. No sliding, but rotates. 4" wider than the galaxi (19.5 wide vs 23.5 wide) should make it more stable. 18" swing as mentioned. Can be wired for 110 or 220 (when you get it), this is also a key feature for me.

The pre production Orion is supposed to be available now or soon at a reduced price. The number of lathes available will be limited. The Nova web site has the details. In addition to the Galaxy and Orion there is also the Saturn (available at Woodcraft) it is like the Dvrxp.
I have owned a Dvrxp since 2007 it would be easy to convert it to240V but I haven’t found it necessary.
The main difference between the Nova’s and he other lathes mentioned herein is the weight. For off center or out of balance work weight will need to be added.

There is a very significant difference in weight between a Nova dvrxp and Galaxi. The Galaxi cast legs are quite substantial, much heavier than the Saturn. It is as stout as other 16-18” lathes. Not sure about the footprint width comments - Ive had some pretty unbalanced pieces Ive turned and never was concerned the lathe would fall over. Yes it shook around a bit but was no problem to trim the pieces down and get them more balanced - the speed control provides excellent control for this. I suppose a few inches wider might move a little less. Adding ballast is needed for most lathes anyway for large out of balance chunks.

Not sure I like the non-sliding aspect of the Orion. If, and its a big if as I have not needed to do this, I had a large 20” dia chunk (16” swing) too long for the outboard rest, I can turn down the OD bottom to fit over the rails, slide the head back so I can the top. I havent needed that functionality yet, and yes an unattached outboard tool rest could accomplish it with the Orion - always more than one way to skin a cat.

I could kick myself for waiting a day or two to check out a 3520A for $1650. Someone else got it. I ended up buying a JET 1840 EVS when they were 15% off over Thanksgiving weekend which brought the price down to $2200. I'm very happy with it. The Laguna Revo 1836 was the other option. I already had 230 V in my shop. I also liked the optional 4" risers on the Jet. I have them on and like the 44" spindle height. It's 3" higher than my old Jet 1236 and easier on my back. And I've used the remote shut off a couple of times.

The Jet 1840 and 1640 would have controls and operation very much like the Powermatic, at lower prices. Our high school shop just got a couple new 1640's and they're very pleasant to use. (my big lathe is a 3520A) If you don't need the weight and 20" capacity, the Jets would be worth considering.

As Dean said, the Jet 1640evs and 1840evs are worth considering. Been turning on a 1640evs for about 1 1/2 years now. Excellent machine.

I saw a powermatic 3520b pop up on craigslist today for $3200, he's in Tama, Iowa which looks to be about a 6 hour drive for you. Not sure if this is too far away or not. It doesn't solve the power issue you mentioned either. If you can't find the listing PM me I just don't want to spam the CL link.

Mine does rotate. I do not think the newer models have a rotating head. In any event, although it might become a valuable feature for me in the future, I have never rotated the head for turning. In fact, I still have the mounted the removable bar that prevents rotation.

They eliminated the rotating feature about a year ago on the larger lathes. They haven't done a very good job at communicating this as many vendors still list this as a feature. They didn't change the model number when they did this.

Back