• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Why do I have to log in each time?Changed my password and still have to log in. I saved my password to be used each time I'm on the forum.

Hello? Still having the problem. Log in and enter my new PW. Mark to keep it plus I update it.

Yes...and the update screen that pops up in the upper left. Still had to log in for this.

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
You might check the settings or preferences for your browser and see whether you happen to have "cookies" turned off or blocked?

Several days ago it changed for me also, I can check the stay logged in box and I still need to log-in every time I access the website during the day.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The Technical Support Forum is for assistance on using the forum software and reporting suspected bugs. When it comes to questions that involve ones computer or mobile device I afraid that I can't possibly devote the time and energy to track down the cause of problems. When you consider all of the different operating systems, all the different browsers, all of the firewall and security options, and on and on ... the list of permutations seems almost endless. Since this question falls outside the forum technical support category, I have moved the thread to the main discussion category.

The only thought that comes to mind besides the suggestions already offered is the increased concern over social media trackers. Firefox and maybe some other browsers now enable several options in dealing with the problem, but also warn that there could be problems with some sites if tracking is disabled. This is just a shot in th dark and I don't know if there is any connection to the log-in issue.

You could also try using a different browser to see what happens. I don't suppose that you are logging out

Nothing has changed in the forum software so you'll need a different scapegoat. :p

Website
adamcottrill.ca
I have been having similar problems with Firefox (my default browser), over the past three or four months. Chrome still works as expected. The problem only seems to happen to me on this forum. I have changed my password several times and always log in with the "keep me logged in" option checked. Usually it doesn't make a difference, but one time it worked in Firefox for a couple of weeks and then I got locked out again. Login using Chrome and the same password - voila! No problems, ever. Very weird. Just posting to confirm that John isn't entirely alone. I don't mind using Chrome for the AWW forums - as long as one of my browsers works.

Adam

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I too have have encountered the problem, starting just a few weeks ago. It affects both my desktop (Firefox) and my ipad. Same symptoms.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Firefox is always wanting to "help" me ... I consider it more like meddling . Here is a Firefox help article on Usernames and Passwords are not saved which might possibly be of help or at least point you in the right direction.

Another suggestion is to log into the forum using "https://" instead of "http://" ...... in other words, change your bookmark to https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php. The only caveat would be to not click on any HOME button nor the Home breadcrumb. If you do then you will be sent back to the http:// server.

Added the "s" and seems to work. Time will tell.
Sign in office- To err is human; To really screw it up, you need a computer.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I do not think the log in problem is related to the Forum software. If that was the case, all of us would be having the same problem. I can log in from my MacBook Pro, iPhone and Ipad without a problem. Each individual loads his or her computer with several programs, some of them can interfere with the login. You should have the password saved in your computer making the log in very fast.

A random thought, I was experiencing difficulties logging into on online bank account, the help desk got me to try a different browser first and when that worked suggested I deleted my original browser's history. That worked, so might be worth a try.

Mike

You should have the password saved in your computer making the log in very fast.
I select the proper user name and my new PW, check the "stay logged in" and then the update. Doesn't work. Frustrating that after all these years I had no problem logging in, then this pops up. Thanks to all.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I select the proper user name and my new PW, check the "stay logged in" and then the update. Doesn't work. Frustrating that after all these years I had no problem logging in, then this pops up. Thanks to all.

Have you tried using a different browser as Mike Amphlett suggested?

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I do not think the log in problem is related to the Forum software. If that was the case, all of us would be having the same problem. I can log in from my MacBook Pro, iPhone and Ipad without a problem. Each individual loads his or her computer with several programs, some of them can interfere with the login. You should have the password saved in your computer making the log in very fast.

Emiliano, let me pose another theory to explain why this "problem" affected multiple browsers at about the same time (Firefox and Apple Safari to my own knowledge). I would guess that the forum software and updates to it are provided by an outside contractor. My theory is that the contractor made a recent update to the software, perhaps in response to a perceived security threat, and that this change is incompatible with the password protocol being used by some browsers. Possibly, the latter protocols indeed posed a security threat.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Emiliano, let me pose another theory to explain why this "problem" affected multiple browsers at about the same time (Firefox and Apple Safari to my own knowledge). I would guess that the forum software and updates to it are provided by an outside contractor. My theory is that the contractor made a recent update to the software, perhaps in response to a perceived security threat, and that this change is incompatible with the password protocol being used by some browsers. Possibly, the latter protocols indeed posed a security threat.

Any updates to the forum software only happen if I request the update and it is approved by the AAW. The IT person (Michael Seufer) only works on an as requested contract basis to provide specific services. The last time this happened was a couple years ago. The version of XenForo forum software that we are running, 1.5.X, has been frozen since they rolled out version 2.X a couple years ago. We may at some time upgrade to the newer version although from a users perspective there isn't really anything to justify the expense.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
So then I have to have two browsers? One for the forum and another for my everything else?
Edit- I clicked on the main AAW button and got right in.

No, the purpose of trying a different browser is to confirm that the problem is specific to one particular browser (I believe that you mentioned Firefox). If that is the case I would think that with a bit of Googling the issue could be resolved.

I have no idea what you mean by the "main AAW button". Could you please elaborate?

Sometimes solutions show up in the strangest of places. I once had a problem where Outlook started behaving strangely. The cause of the problem turned out to be a Windows update. Interestingly the purpose of the Windows update was to prevent the occurrence of the problem that the update actually wound up causing. For what it's worth the problem had never actually occurred in the wild, but was determined to be a statistical remote possibility. The update only affected users with a very specific combination of hardware which was a very small number worldwide. I just happened to be one of those having the hardware configuration that didn't play right with the update. Microsoft had decided that the update was too urgent to take the time to test it. In actuality, the only problem was the self inflicted wound created by Microsoft.

Access button to the AAW website. Cookies should be permitted across the board. Will check or more likely, try to figure it out as I'm not a computer whiz.
Edit- Cookies are allowed and passwords are saved, according to the Settings categories. I'll just keep entering the info.

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
You might try logging out, deleting all the existing cookies associated with this site, re-starting your browser, and then log in and see if that makes any difference. Just an idea....

Do you have a program such as cc cleaner set to auto. It will wipe passwords and other stuff so you have to log in again.
No. Again, this is the only website that requires logging in each time.
Bill, at the top in Yellow- AAW Main Website. I get in with no trouble there. No big deal to log in each time but puzzled why.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Still don't understand what you are referring to. Is it a bookmark on your browser? An icon on your desktop? A "Free Zoltar" button? Could you post the exact URL of the link?
I think we need to add a Free Zoltar button to the forum. Another theory here is, I also have a PC laptop. Nearly every time I use it there are endless updates to the operating system. Apple has released at least 3 updates since OS Catalina came out a few months ago. The forum software has not changed, but everyone's computer has.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
So then I have to have two browsers? One for the forum and another for my everything else?
Edit- I clicked on the main AAW button and got right in.
I have 3 browsers, Chrome, Safari and Firefox. Some work better with different sites. For example, I have to read my Argentina Newspaper on Firefox, I prefer Safari for the Forum, and Chrome for Google Docs.

I can't see fiddling with different browsers, especially when I don't need them. I just log in each time and go to the forum.

I had the same issue with having to re-enter my user id and password after every time I shut down Chrome even though I had checked the "remember me" box. Bill's suggestion to log into the "secure" forum fixed the problem for me, permanently it seems.

Another suggestion is to log into the forum using "https://" instead of "http://" ...... in other words, change your bookmark to https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php. The only caveat would be to not click on any HOME button nor the Home breadcrumb. If you do then you will be sent back to the http:// server.

I did make a new bookmark to the secure forum. It seems that using the bookmark is critical to staying logged in. In the past, I didn't use bookmarks to get to the forum. Instead, I just started typing AAW in the browser address line and the Chrome filled in the rest of the address. But Chrome's autofill goes to the non-secure version of the site, which still does not remember me. So I gotta use the link to get to the secure website and avoid the password.

Hope that all makes sense and is helpful.

Dave

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Since most of us don't have this problem it's clear that there is nothing inherent in the either the browser or forum software that blocks the ability to remember the login information. It is a peculiarity of how your systems are interacting.

When I'm in that situation I've found that the most likely route to a cure lies in resetting all of the software back to the starting point, with the main thing being deleting all cookies set by this and related sites. You can delete all your cookies easily, but that will mess up your saved settings for many sites. Better to go to the cookies file and delete only those related to the site and forum software. If the forum preferences has a "set to factory defaults" button, click it. (I don't know whether it does or not). Unfortunately even if this works you'll probably never know how you got there and how to avoid it.

Roger, did this yesterday to try and cure another problem. Still have to log in to the forum and the website.
"To err is human; To really mess it up, you need a computer."

When I'm in that situation I've found that the most likely route to a cure lies in resetting all of the software back to the starting point, with the main thing being deleting all cookies set by this and related sites. You can delete all your cookies easily, but that will mess up your saved settings for many sites. Better to go to the cookies file and delete only those related to the site and forum software. If the forum preferences has a "set to factory defaults" button, click it. (I don't know whether it does or not). Unfortunately even if this works you'll probably never know how you got there and how to avoid it.

Thanks for the suggestion. For me, clearing cookies didn't help.

I believe my problem was that I was accessing the "http://" (non-secure) version of the site. Once I started using the https:// (secure) version, it remembered my login.

I updated my bookmarks and even changed the autocomplete feature of Chrome to take me to the secure version. That solved the problem for me. Thought I would document what I found since the OP and others seemed to be having the problem too.

Dave

Back