• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Robust Sweet 16 banjo for sale:

Status
Not open for further replies.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I have a Robust Sweet 16 banjo for sale. It's still unused, and is in "as new" condition......didn't work out for my purposes. The clamp bolt was shortened about 1/4" to clear the crossmembers of my Woodfast lathe.....other than that, it's been used for about 10 minutes, total! As you know, the Robust equipment is excellent quality.

(The Robust Sweet 16 offset post banjo at the bottom, is not for sale.)

$250, plus shipping of approximately $30.......

-----odie-----
IMG_5109.JPG

odie

TOTW Team
What about the banjo didn't work for you? I've been considering getting a robust banjo for my stubby.

Hello Guy......I had intended to use the banjo for large bowls between the bowl and the headstock, where there wasn't enough room between the bowl and the top of the bedways for the banjo to slide underneath the bowl. If you'll notice, the offset post of the other banjo (the smaller one) is on the left side of center. This makes it difficult to get the banjo close enough to a large bowl because of that. I had figured the central point of the larger banjo would allow me to get closer to the bowl, and solve my issues. What I hadn't figured on, is the base of the larger banjo is much wider (evident in my photo above), and actually creates the same problem I was having with the smaller banjo. I bought the larger banjo viewing photographs on the Robust site, and did not realize the width of the larger banjo wasn't the same as the width of the smaller banjo......my mistake!......a $400 mistake! :(

This is a very high quality Robust banjo.......:D

-----odie-----

Hey Odie,

How high above the ways does the top of this sit? Considering an upgrade for my 1836 Laguna as the clamp gets in the way (especially while coring) and takes way too much force to lock the tool ret down...

odie

TOTW Team
Hey Odie,

How high above the ways does the top of this sit? Considering an upgrade for my 1836 Laguna as the clamp gets in the way (especially while coring) and takes way too much force to lock the tool ret down...

Hello Davis.......Thx for the inquiry......I was working late in the shop last night, so didn't see your post. I just wrote a note to myself to get the measurements for the banjo. Look for a follow-up post sometime later today.........:)

At the risk of losing a sale......have you adjusted the clamp bolt?.......if the lever is more perpendicular to, rather than parallel to the lathe bedways, it requires less pressure on the lever to get the same amount of grip force between the banjo and ways.......o_O

-----odie-----

Last edited:
Hello Davis.......Thx for the inquiry......I was working late in the shop last night, so didn't see your post. I just wrote a note to myself to get the measurements for the banjo. Look for a follow-up post sometime later today.........:)

At the risk of losing a sale......have you adjusted the clamp bolt?.......if the lever is more perpendicular to, rather than parallel to the lathe bedways, it requires less pressure on the lever to get the same amount of grip force between the banjo and ways.......o_O

-----odie-----

Thanks, Odie. I have adjusted this before. There are some other issues with the stock Laguna (superhuman cranking force to lock toolposts in, and the "ears" of the clamp that really limit close tool rest placement on large shallow pieces.) So I'm interested for a few reasons :)

odie

TOTW Team
Davis.......measurements for the Robust banjo are as follows:

Base height: 2 1/4"

Base width: 4 5/16"

Tool post receptacle height: 5"

Clamp insert made for 2 1/2" between bedways.
(Additional sizes available from Robust.)

Overall length of base: 18"

note: Clamp handle is reversible.

-----odie-----

IMG_5301.JPG IMG_5303.JPG IMG_5304.JPG IMG_5305.JPG IMG_5306.JPG

Thanks, Odie, but I'll have to pass... It's a bit too small compared to the stock one, and I'd still need to replace the clamp block. I'll be putting in a call to Oneway and Robust to see what their opinions are.

odie

TOTW Team
Thanks, Odie, but I'll have to pass... It's a bit too small compared to the stock one, and I'd still need to replace the clamp block. I'll be putting in a call to Oneway and Robust to see what their opinions are.

No problem, Davis.......thanks for your interest.

Out of curiosity, what do you find too small? Seems like a very large, and substantial banjo to me........

-----odie-----

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back