• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Aprons

What kind of turning aprons are you guys using? I need a high neck on my apron and I have changed options like clockwork over the years trying to come up with the perfect apron and I'm still searching. Got one that is "perfect?"

I've been on the hunt, too, but being a smaller guy, nobody makes an off the shelf solution in my size. I've got a design I've been kicking around in my head that I've been meaning to try out, but haven't had time to break out the sewing machine lately. I've sewn a lot of thick, heavy fabrics customizing and repairing professional canyoneering gear, and have some really sturdy canvas-like fabric that is synthetic (won't absorb much fluid) yet still pretty breathable. For me, no external pockets (probably a small internal one for a card hone) so should be a simple design. I'll post photos here when I actually get around to making it.

Haven't worn one in 34 years of turning. I was raised on a farm, I guess I'm used to getting dirty. I can just see wearing a smock in a hayloft. I'd have been laughed out of the county.
I haven't hauled hay since I was a teenager but I can relate to working in a dirty environment. I've worn carhartt t-shirts for years. When turning I just turn my shirt inside out and put it on backwards. The high neck of wearing it backwards keeps most of the chips from going down the neck. Inside out keeps chips from getting in the pocket which makes my wife much happier on laundry day. In cold weather when my garage is cold enough that I need a coat I use second hand windbreakers that I get from the thrift store for a couple bucks. I can usually find a good one that zips up tight around the neck. When they get filthy I just throw them out.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm with Dick. The smocks are too hot even though I have the leight weight AAW ones. I just wear my shirt untucked so the shaving fall through. In the winter I wear a nylon wind breaker that zips up to the neck. The nylon sheds the shavings. The longer sleeves keep me warm and they have elastic at the bottom to keep the sleeves out of the work.

My very 1st forum question (maybe my last.LOL). Guy asks a question about aprons. Gets one good response from the AAW family. 3 responses about how aprons are a waste of time and 2 answers advocating for a smock. Beyond the first decent answer, I'm not sure why the others chimed in. Just asking?? Is this the way AAW forums work? I know folks like to make their opinions known, but going to have contemplate if I want to ask any questions with answers like these.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
+2 on the AAW smock. I used an apron when I first started turning 15 years ago and it really isn't suitable for keeping your clothes clean and doesn't do anything about shavings going down the collar. The AAW smock is rip-stop nylon with a heavy duty zipper, underarm vents, and Velcro neck closure.

It is a moot issue whether I mind getting dirty because Mrs. B says I dare not go traipsing through the house leaving a trail of dust and shavings.

I have a Timberbits smock I use for demos. It has a nice soft stretch raised neck with Velcro closure. Sheds shavings well. It has pencil pockets on the sleeve only. Oh the one I bought is just $25 but takes a while to get here from Australia and the zipper is English backwards.

While turning in the shop I have tons of Pharmacist smocks I applied Velcro to collar.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I second, or third the AAW smock. You still get dirty, at least I do, when you turn every day, most of the day is part of life... But you will prevent most of the shavings and or dust from covering you. I tried an apron many years ago, did not work for me, especially because the front pockets would fill with pounds of shavings, totaly compacted.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
My very 1st forum question (maybe my last.LOL). Guy asks a question about aprons. Gets one good response from the AAW family. 3 responses about how aprons are a waste of time and 2 answers advocating for a smock. Beyond the first decent answer, I'm not sure why the others chimed in. Just asking?? Is this the way AAW forums work? I know folks like to make their opinions known, but going to have contemplate if I want to ask any questions with answers like these.

This, like any other Internet forum is a place where everyone has their own perspective on an issue. We don't impose draconian rules that dictate what is or isn't a suitable response. The fastest way to kill participation in any forum is by heavy handed suppression by the moderators. If you've read the rules then you know that civil discourse is expected. This means that you do not tell somebody that their answer doesn't meet your criteria as a suitable response. It is easy enough to read through the responses and use the ones that you find most helpful. If you see a problem then use the report feature to alert the moderators.

+2 on the Timberbits smock, really hard to beat for $25 with sizes up to 5X. The only time I use an apron is when doing pyrography (leather apron). On my second AAW smock and I have 2 "dress smocks". green and tan to wear winter and summer at shows I attend. Photo left "green winter dress smock":D

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
I come from a different perspective. Being female and wearing different underclothing, it becomes very uncomfortable if I am not wearing something with a high collar. Chips down the front of a shirt makes turning uncomfortable very quickly.

I started with the woodworking-type aprons, and quickly abandoned them as not enough coverage. Next up were the ones the Bill Blasic is wearing. Those are made by Craft Supplies, and I have both the heavier weight (green, as in Bill's photo) and lighter weight one. I also have several of the AAW smocks, and those are my go-to smocks. The fit is better for me, and very light weight materials. My shop is heated in the winter and air conditioned in summer. I also tried to wear those nylon golf or windbreaker jackets, and never cared for the long sleeves. It also didn't provide coverage below the waist, so I still got chips/shavings/sawdust on the pants. Oh, and I also bought a pair of the 'spats' to wrap around the tops of my shoes to keep shavings from migrating into those areas.

I don't have any of the AAW smocks, but have a couple of the lighter weight tan ones from Craft Supplies. It just keeps chips and shavings out of the nether regions. I am one of the hot people, and long sleeves make me sweat when indoors.

robo hippy

Dillon,

Sometimes the term turning "smock" and "apron" are often used interchangeably so I see nothing wrong with the other responses here. If the original poster wants a limited response then he's free to clarify. I personally like seeing the other responses because it might be an idea I hadn't thought about.

-Karl

Haven't worn any sort since my house and shop burned. I also live on a farm and never wore one except when doing a few hours in the shop. Unlike many folks, I had a leather shop apron. Made of thin pliable top grain cow hide. Came up almost to the neck and just a little more than around each side of the hips. Hung just below the knees. I have one old long sleeve shirt made by WALLS, not sure what the material is other than mostly cotton, but wood chips and saw dust don't cling to the material. Just brush it off or shake the shirt. I roll the sleeves back a bit and wear an elastic band on each side to keep the sleeve rolled up.

The AAW sells a nice one - I have one I keep for demos. Leaves the chips at The demo

Say, Al, if you still have any pull with the AAW, there are two problems with the AAW smock:
1. There is no loop for hanging on a hook.
2. The fabric that is supposed to lay between the zipper and the turner doesn't quite reach the top of the zipper. When you have a scrawny neck and zip all the way up, the zipper pull or edges of the zipper ride right against your Adam's apple and it's really annoying.

As stated I'm on my second AAW smock. My problem with the AAW smocks are the pockets in the back they are placed so high I would have to be double jointed to comfortably put something in them. When #2 AAW smock is done I will start wearing the Timberbits smock which is also lightweight and has no back pockets just a small pocket on each short sleeve.

I have tried an apron, but didn’t work for me. I have two smocks. The Klingspor smock is short sleeve. I have is very similar to the AAW smock with pockets in the back. Like Bilkl Blasic you need to be double jointed to use them. That smock also has a front pocket with a flap and a pencil slit. The pocket is deep and if the pencil is sharpened a couple of times it just falls into the pocket. I also had chips in the pocket from the pencil slit. I had my wife sew the pencil slit. I use this one for the summer. For the winter, I have the Robert Sorby long sleeve smock, much heavier than the Klingspor smock. It has a pencil pocket on the sleeve. However it has “Robert Sorby” embroidered on it that would be great if your name was Robert Sorby. My wife made an embroidered patch with my name and sewed it over the Robert Sorby.

my sis made mine for me....high collar with Velcro closure.....side pockets with flaps.....crotch lenght.....sleeves to the elbow

I tried the apron route early on - abandoned after emptying about 4 pounds of shavings from the pockets. Went with the Craft supplies versions, both light and heavier. They work well. The AAW smock is my favorite for warm weather, but when it gets cold I haul out one that was sent to me by a friend in the UK sold by The Tool Post (sounds like the Sorby described above) - heavy cotton twill, long sleeves with elastic at wrists, leather elbow patches, heavy zipper and a stand up, padded collar that velcros closed. Pencil pocket on the sleeve, big rear pockets down low. It comes down to my thighs. Nice big hanging loop, even had my name embroidered on the breast.When the temperature drops thats the one I grab.
The only downside is that is white, or was. Several years of turning wet madrone and BL maple have created a camo pattern thats tan, brown and pink - not that it stops me from wearing it when the frost is on the punkins.

My wife made one for me that is similar to a hospital gown with a knit collar, no pockets and velcro closure on the back of the neck and about waist level. I have an AAW smock also but the pocket fills up with chips so I use the home made one more often.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Oh, and I also bought a pair of the 'spats' to wrap around the tops of my shoes to keep shavings from migrating into those areas.

Hiya Donna.......I also have some of the "spats", or "shoe bibs", as I think they were called when I bought them. I only wear them in hot weather, or times when I'm wearing shorts. They work really well for keeping shavings out of your shoes.....:D
IMG_0672.JPG

This pic was taken when they were new, but they are getting a little shoddy with use. I was looking to get another pair but don't know where they are available at the moment......do you know where to get them now?

thanks......

-----odie-----

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Winter or Summer.....I always wear just a T-shirt untucked. For about the last 25 years, I've been buying used shirts with zip up collar at the 2nd hand store. There are those with heavy material and light material, and useful depending on the time of year. I cut off everything below chest level, so that it's a cape sort of affair.
IMG_0076.JPG

I have a turner's smock (?) that made out of a "plasticized" material that repels water.....this one I have no pic, but it has a fully enclosed neck with velcro, and ties around the backside like an apron. I only use it when roughing very wet wood. Can't remember where I bought it......:(

-----odie-----

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Hiya Donna.......I also have some of the "spats", or "shoe bibs", as I think they were called when I bought them. I only wear them in hot weather, or times when I'm wearing shorts. They work really well for keeping shavings out of your shoes.....:D
View attachment 31048

This pic was taken when they were new, but they are getting a little shoddy with use. I was looking to get another pair but don't know where they are available at the moment......do you know where to get them now?

thanks......

-----odie-----
I got mine from The Sanding Glove. https://www.thesandingglove.com/DUST-BEE-GONE-Shoe-Covers.asp

Well...I think that I have stumbled into the best solution so far and it was under my nose the entire time. One of my non-turning buds sent me an email saying that he didn't see why I did just use one of my old Army uniform shirts. I immediately hit my forehead and dove into my closet to snag one out. I turned in it close to 7 hours today and I can't believe that I didn't think of it myself. It has pretty much all of the factors that we turners are looking for...great workmanship, wide velcro neck, cloth designed to shed just about about anything, sleeves where the velcro is wide enough that you don't have to worry about them getting into the work, pockets on the front are chip-proof, nice pencil holders on the sleeves front zipper with velcro cover, quick-on-quick-off, sleeves do a quick roll-up if a short sleeve is desired, etc. You can get one of these on Ebay for about $20 and under (or if you happen to have a son in the Marines you might could have him send a used one from the base Clothing Sales Store):
* Army Combat Uniform Coat Shirt Top (and I think the "blouse shirt" would work as a close second option)
Then one of my turning buds sent me an email that said that Mike Peace had passed on this solution awhile back...he was correct, and I should have known to check Mike's video first.

Odie: Backpackers call them"gaiters", and use them to keep snow out of their boots. Available at REI or on Amazon

View attachment 31048

thanks......

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
Odie: Backpackers call them"gaiters", and use them to keep snow out of their boots. Available at REI or on Amazon

I also tried some homemade "gaiters" for awhile......but, were more difficult to manipulate on and off, unlike the bibs.......never really used 'em that much, because of that! :rolleyes:

-----odie-----
IMG_0670.JPG

Last edited:
I come from a different perspective. Being female and wearing different underclothing, it becomes very uncomfortable if I am not wearing something with a high collar. Chips down the front of a shirt makes turning uncomfortable very quickly.

Hmm, that makes sense... I always wondered what's going on with the professional woman turner that wears a low cut t-shirt. How can she do that?

As for me, I am fortunate to have a partner that knows how to sew and I have what appears to be a standard, sleeveless, tie-in-back apron with a comfy collar and velcro closure. For the time consuming big jobs I wear a full jump suit.

Back