• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Old lathes photo thread.......

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Do you turn on an older lathe? I'm interested in seeing photos of old woodturning lathes. Post them here:

Here's mine......1992 Australian Woodfast 908 lathe. I bought it new and have been turning on it ever since......
IMG_3757.JPG
About a year ago, I upgraded the banjo with one from Robust.....turned out to be a good upgrade:
IMG_5109.JPG

Well no longer in my service, but I owned and turned on this 1974 PM 90 for two years. Initially a 12” swing, but I raised it to 18” swing. Bought from a school auction for $180. Great lathe, but decided I wanted a modern lathe as so many things different such as a 1-1/2” 8 tip spindle thread. I just about took it totally apart and rebuilt. Surprising I could still buy many OEM parts from Powermatic

8FE9416F-C25C-4DBD-A0BC-FFE924345C66.jpeg 2FE6E4B5-51B5-40C3-BAFF-5F3A7D7B00E4.jpeg

odie

TOTW Team
1992 is old or older? My Oneway 2436 is a 1998.

Depends on how you look at it, I suppose.......probably older than most active turners, though! :D

-----odie-----

Website
www.bayberrycrafts.com
We turn on this at the Great New York State Fair

statefair.jpg

My 1986 Powermatic 90 that I have owned for one year! My plan was to put it in the basement but I am still waiting on my wife to make some room. I gave up (for now) and have set it up in the garage temporarily so I can get started using it! The lathe works great - all original including the reeves drive.

The speed control knob was missing so being a hot rod guy, I put a Hurst shift knob on it!

Powermatic 90.jpg

Last edited:
My 1986 Powermatic 90 that I have owned for one year! My plan was to put it in the basement but I am still waiting on my wife to make some room. I gave up (for now) and have set it up in the garage temporarily so I can get started using it! The lathe works great - all original including the reeves drive.

The speed control knob was missing so being a hot rod guy, I put a Hurst shift knob on it!

View attachment 30860
So is it "automatic shift" now?:cool:

odie

TOTW Team
This is where I started my turning excursion into what has become an obsession:
(Photo pulled from the web, but it was exactly like this one)
Shopsmith-Shop-Smith-10E-ER-Hybrid.jpg

I know a few here can relate to this, because I hear of the old Shopsmith from time to time on here. It's probably started more than a few turners to turning......even though they bought it for other reasons.....at least that's the way it was for me! (Bought it at a garage sale for $200, IIRC) I had mine for several years, before I decided, one day, to convert it to a lathe around 1982......the rest is history!

-----odie-----

You had a much better experience with the Shopsmith than I did. I had the opposite effect on my first turning try. I bought my Shopsmith Model 500 from my brother who bought it new and never turned it on. He bought the lathe chisels with it. At the time my only piece of equipment was a 1970 Craftsman radial saw. So one day after looking at the pictures in the Shopsmith manual I converted it to the lathe. Had a 4 x 4 piece of pine about 4 inches long and was going to make fence post top. Turned the Shopsmith on and approached the wood with a roughing chisel, it came flying out away from me across the room. I figured turning was not for me and the Shopsmith never saw lathe mode again. A year later I saw a turned wood pen and Lowes was clearing out the Delta midi lathes (10” swing) that I ended up buying for $119. Figured small pieces of wood wouldn’t do much damage. I made hundreds of pens and kit items on that lathe and was hooked, bought a Jet 1014 with VS, then moved up to the PM 90 with 12” swing, then a Laguna 18-36, and finally a Robust AB. I’m done buying lathes. I still have the Jet 1014.

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
You had a much better experience with the Shopsmith than I did. In had the opposite effect on my first turning try. I bought my Shopsmith Model 500 from my brother who bought it new and never turned it on. He bought the lathe chisels with it. At the time my only piece e of equipment was a 1970 Craftsman radial saw. So one day after looking at the pictures in the Shopsmith manual I converted it to the lathe. Had a 4 x 4 piece of pine about 4 inches long and was going to make fence post top. Turned the Shopsmith on and approached the wood with a roughing chisel, it came flying out away from me across the room. I figured turning was not for me and the Shopsmith never saw lathe mode again. A year later I saw a turned wood pen and Lowes was clearing out the Delta midi lathes (10” swing) that I ended up buying for $119. Figured small pieces of wood wouldn’t do much damage. I made hundreds of pens and kit items on that lathe and was hooked, bought a Jet 1014 with VS, then moved up to the PM 90 with 12” swing, then a Laguna 18-36, and finally a Robust AB. I’m done buying lathes. I still have the Jet 1014.

Oh, I'm not recommending the Shopsmith to anyone, William......It was a bit "shakey", being so light duty, and all. It's what I had, so it's what I used......and I was such a newbie back then, that I didn't know any better as to what did and didn't work well! After a couple of years of that, I bought a Northwood 16" lathe with a Reeves drive.....which I hated! :mad: I turned on the Northwood for about 7-8 years, before I finally bought a well designed lathe......the Woodfast that I've now had for 27 years, and am still using.

I am a great admirer of the Robust AB, and kudos to those who have the resources to have one.......but, on the other hand.....I'm a firm believer that upgrading at this point won't make me a better turner! :D

-----odie-----

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
This is the only photo I could find of the lathe I turned on for about 25 years. Home-made in the mid-80s from plans in (I think) Wood magazine. Worked pretty good, and didn't cost a lot. But after a couple decades I just couldn't keep it in alignment.

Attachments

• DSCN2256.jpg
    DSCN2256.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 163
This is my powermatic 90 that I still use, list of the changes made:
1) 1 1/2 HP 1125 RPM motor.
2) VFD and adding a speed pot
3) 3" height blocks
4) Bed extensions for turning up to 105"
5) Mobile base from 2" x 4" steel tubing with retractable casters
6) Eliminate the reeves drive and replacing it with 2 step multi rib belt and pulleys
7) (as part of (6) new headstock bearings and had a machine shop change the thread to 1 1/4 - 8

The pictures that I had planned to include are to big so I will need to find a different method to get them to you. I have posted the pics on my face book page as public.The turning shown is a barber pole being made form a white pine 8" x 8" x 6'. The picture below is a table leg being made on the lathe in 2002.
TableLegTurning.JPG
( have a number of 1 1/2 -8 accessories to get rid of)

1944 Delta. A friend was going to toss it As it was buried in sand following Hurricane Sandy. I was able to restore it to working condition...love using this iron horse most weekends. Before...after...and now pics attached.

Attachments

• 95331227-CCE5-418C-9716-5BAAB5CFF147.jpeg
    95331227-CCE5-418C-9716-5BAAB5CFF147.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 315
  • AC2569EB-3AA8-4471-8FDF-8A812D57A405.jpeg
    AC2569EB-3AA8-4471-8FDF-8A812D57A405.jpeg
    861.2 KB · Views: 352
  • 7F3F92D7-149D-49FC-A623-6A54B83B731C.jpeg
    7F3F92D7-149D-49FC-A623-6A54B83B731C.jpeg
    507.6 KB · Views: 305
Mike, Your 1944 Delta looks really nice after refurbishing I had the same lathe about 40 years ago, that design is easy to build riser blocks if you ever want to increase the capacity of the lathe and you can easily add a 3-phase motor and control it with a VFD.

Mike C I also have had similar lathes to that one and I did add height blocks and a 3 phase motor & VFD plus I had a lead screw drive mounted in the height block. The lead screw drive was connected to the head stock spindle via chain and sprockets with a two to one ratio. The lead screw I used was 4 pitch ( 4 TPI ) so the result was 2 pitch. The lead screw moved a carriage holding a router with a 60 degree bit and I was able to produce 2 1/2 - 2 wooden bench screws.

I have two powermatic 90s. The 1961 spindle lathe has a 20" swing.The 1963 bowl lathe has a 24" swing with a 29" bed. I shortened and sectioned the cabinet, added a 2hp motor with vfd, oneway banjo and robust toolrest. This is my first try posting pics so I apologize if I screw up.View attachment 30873 View attachment 30873 View attachment 30874
I noticed on the photos that you are using the original clamping screw on the tail stock. The tailstock casting on my PM90 was to thin around the hole so I was unable to clamp it secure enough for spindle work. The solution I came up with was to add a cam type locking arrangement in the height block and bolt the tailstock to the height block

I noticed on the photos that you are using the original clamping screw on the tail stock. The tailstock casting on my PM90 was to thin around the hole so I was unable to clamp it secure enough for spindle work. The solution I came up with was to add a cam type locking arrangement in the height block and bolt the tailstock to the height block
Don the tail stock does get wonky on spindle work. Appreciate your insight...one the the best things about this forum.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
1944 Delta. A friend was going to toss it As it was buried in sand following Hurricane Sandy. I was able to restore it to working condition...love using this iron horse most weekends. Before...after...and now pics attached.

Your workshop looks awesome!

reply to Mike C & Bob B
The picture below shows the parts needed to make a cam clamp and you can see that it operates the same as the banjo clamps. The two shoulder bolts are screwed into off center taped holes in the 1" "cam" and will raise the clamp bolt to lock the tail stock in place. The tee handle allen wrench points out where the cap screws are located that hold the tailstock to the riser block assembly.
DSC00339.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00334.JPG
    DSC00334.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 66
reply to Mike C & Bob B
The picture below shows the parts needed to make a cam clamp and you can see that it operates the same as the banjo clamps. The two shoulder bolts are screwed into off center taped holes in the 1" "cam" and will raise the clamp bolt to lock the tail stock in place. The tee handle allen wrench points out where the cap screws are located that hold the tailstock to the riser block assembly.
View attachment 30891
Thanks Don,I believe I will give that a try.

My first and only lathe was made by "Duro" 10" swing guessing about 36 inches between centers. I don't know the year on it but the company went out of business in 1981. I'd be interested in more history or rough guess as to the age if anyone has one. This was an estate item from my friend's late father who received it the same way. Next step is going to be to replace this rickety stand (my garage floor isn't helping)

qhzAMrg.png

I'm sorry Karl, I've been away for a few days. I am using an old Microsoft web cam with a sub to micro adapter connected to a 10 inch windows tablet. Works great.

Keith

This was an old friends of mine lathe. He used to make his own wooden golf clubs. His wife gave it to me earlier this year. Said he would have wanted me to have it. He hadn't used it in years as he had a stroke about 10 yrs prior to his passing. I took it home and tore it apart and cleaned it all up. Works great!

Attachments

• Bills Lathe.jpg
    Bills Lathe.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 140
Back