• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

CA Finish Polish

What have you found to be the best polish when finishing with CA? I have used Meguiar's PlastX but sometimes get a residue that shows up later and is hard to remove, I’ve tried alcohol which help some but not totally effective. How would something like Hampshire Sheen work? I know it’s for wood but would it work on a CA finish?

Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
I use Meguires Scratch remover on stoppers, coffee scoops, etc. I get it from Menards or AutoZone. comes in a bottle like this -https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G10307-ScratchX-2-0-Scratch/dp/B0002UNON8

The only time I have noticed a residue issue is when I'm not careful and don't get it out of the tight area around a bead or tiny decorative groove with the t-shirt scrap as I'm buffing while it's spinning. The you will see a white line of dried polish in those tight areas.

Doesn't take much of it to polish to s nice shine. But, if you have too much friction from too much pressure you can "burn" though the CA and then have dull spots in the finish. If that happens I use DNA to wipe it down then recoat the CA and then re-polish.

The best I have found is Hut’s crystal coat because it doesn’t cake or show up later. I’ve tried the Plastx and Nova 2 and although they work it is difficult to remove the “caking” left behind.

EDIT: I should have said Hut’s Ultra Gloss, not crystal coat.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, anyone ever try Hampshire Sheen on CA? I may give it a try. I’ll let you know...

I haven't tried Hampshire Sheen on CA, but I have used both Ack's Abrasive Paste ( https://ackswoodpaste.com/ )and Yorkshire Grit with good results.

I have used pumice then rotten stone both applied with mineral oil on a soft cloth. The residue can be cleaned off with a clean cloth and then a quality wax is applied and buffed.
7099-100Saltpeper.JPG

any suggestions for use over acrylic to foster a wet look?

I use Meguiars “professional” line of finishing compounds, and finish of with their #20 polymer sealant. Ive tried many compounds over the years for many types of finishes, the smashed stones, Novus, scratch removers, etc, Meguiars wins for me. Many car parts stores carry some of the pro line or get them online.

Another option is buffing, along the lines of the Beal system. I use buff wheels on a drill, 2 different grits of compound, and wax.

Last edited:
The best I have found is Hut’s crystal coat because it doesn’t cake or show up later. I’ve tried the Plastx and Nova 2 and although they work it is difficult to remove the “caking” left behind.

EDIT: I should have said Hut’s Ultra Gloss, not crystal coat.
Pulled this up to refresh my memory. Got a pen & pencil set with BOW that I want to look real good. I have HUG and will give it a try.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Pulled this up to refresh my memory. Got a pen & pencil set with BOW that I want to look real good. I have HUG and will give it a try.

It appears that I have fallen behind in the realm of shiny stuff. Could you clue me in on the latest meanings of BOW and HUG?

Bethlehem Olive Wood and Hut Ultra Gloss. KWIM? Got my accelerator at Woodcraft. Only got out with $24 on the Credit Card. Miracle? Will finish the pen & pencil set tomorrow and report back.

Been doing some ice cream scoop handles with CA finish, I used a combination of bees wax and turpentine to polish, really gave me nice finish with no residue. I think I’m going to use this until I find something better.

I appreciate everyone’s help, when not as busy as now I’m going to try some of the other suggestions.

Everyone have a blessed Thanksgiving

Been doing some ice cream scoop handles with CA finish, I used a combination of bees wax and turpentine to polish, really gave me nice finish with no residue. I think I’m going to use this until I find something better.

I appreciate everyone’s help, when not as busy as now I’m going to try some of the other suggestions.

Everyone have a blessed Thanksgiving
I like using Wood Turners Finish for kitchen stuff. Gives as much gloss as coats applied, plus it's food safe.

Attachments

• Moms box inside done.jpg
    Moms box inside done.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 16
Update- the pen & pencil set came out great! It was a gift exchange in our Bible study group. Lady loved it and was excited that it was certified BOW.

Back