• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

1 1/4" 8 tpi faceplates 3,4,6"+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to see if anyone has any they are looking to get rid of on the cheap. I'm turning almost exclusively now with faceplates and it's easier leaving them on while I process these NIP transparent pieces in oil. So I need a few more. I'm aware I can get them new online, just checking here first for someone who's overstocked I guess.

IMG_1039.JPG
I hadn't thought of that. Thanks, but I'm often turning bigger stuff I want screwed in for safety. Preferably once. I mark orientation and use the same screw holes from my initial faceplate orientation again when i return to things after some processing or to sand for final. Sometimes, just the angle of the screw changes upon resetting these 1/8" thin pieces and it's no longer turnable without having to wedge or rig it.

A turner who likes to make his own gear (is that redundant?) named William Noble makes face plates out of washers welded to nuts and drilled for screw holes. He has your spindle size and I believe they go up to 4". They are not perfectly machined works of art, but they get the job done. That said, they may not be exactly what you're looking for, but the price is extremely attractive. https://wbnoble.com/wood_turning/faceplates/faceplates.htm
(disclosure: I don't know Bill other than as a customer and have no financial interest in his business)

MHzntjk6ZpqKC-HxnzPy-R3aSV_pCgwdI_pIqJprI7bJ-vWy6UTOThHS8kOP7wG5i1JoFkL4h3YctAgm5e6NvVw0w5MD-eS5mA7hMo3yWP41UERr5uUwATFk3ECrw50BJrVlQNHNVadz3AXqp_5iBT2VQdmN54maZyB6upgvv_fpFSUbSjIy1CbI1ap4pDuhm3rUfiBAVhNyvfW0_syxzxfPGzLdlepMCy0_ORH6GFybAV9iwtsfVLfa2lQ22TWJe45S7lQEcrn7c3b4ZcXldg5wNzm9s5IK3BaNcw_peacQyJiUJuO-NWlyGFgfTT1Vku-hs9ycc_I_iGhaWxaR_rx-vdrEjqIMp3vYToDTgh_mlkr5IlO82v8Pi9dxWmTz7ODol-Mfv1ytYwaunruO9-tiRmAZXqQ8Na7IdF7PSQJE4SM-dDLlayLUl_4ax7Si-9OnblAvhQOs8a-ilPsb81yQWXp_5zCD4-vEarYY1ukotZjiKjkbe1SqmLTb44uhy3GHMRUTABoWQTwbVGgqBOqU22L0IddYvY6BvAmJPmcirjbdx9AArqxlk-_VN4dNqCjHQLDuOpb8Z18zp-k0cb87iBPD1DvYHIy-Zoj9_db9OncH5qklYsxTN12x_dWKYCE-V0kW_6lC2uklCcLxcXpI5IMUHwUY6PJkAktchyy-95E-ybiG9hkSrm54Y_uLz1xoG428qoSWxfNQMaDWhV9ctw=w871-h653-no

This is a photo of a few face plates I made using 1-8 nuts and in some cases washers. The nuts and washers were purchased in a good (industrial/farm) ace hardware store and it also had 1.25-8 nuts and washers in stock.
Drill a hole a bit smaller then the distance across the nut corners and cbore for the washer then press the nut in and epoxy both in place. When dry mount in your lathe and face off the front of the face plate and true up the OD.

MHzntjk6ZpqKC-HxnzPy-R3aSV_pCgwdI_pIqJprI7bJ-vWy6UTOThHS8kOP7wG5i1JoFkL4h3YctAgm5e6NvVw0w5MD-eS5mA7hMo3yWP41UERr5uUwATFk3ECrw50BJrVlQNHNVadz3AXqp_5iBT2VQdmN54maZyB6upgvv_fpFSUbSjIy1CbI1ap4pDuhm3rUfiBAVhNyvfW0_syxzxfPGzLdlepMCy0_ORH6GFybAV9iwtsfVLfa2lQ22TWJe45S7lQEcrn7c3b4ZcXldg5wNzm9s5IK3BaNcw_peacQyJiUJuO-NWlyGFgfTT1Vku-hs9ycc_I_iGhaWxaR_rx-vdrEjqIMp3vYToDTgh_mlkr5IlO82v8Pi9dxWmTz7ODol-Mfv1ytYwaunruO9-tiRmAZXqQ8Na7IdF7PSQJE4SM-dDLlayLUl_4ax7Si-9OnblAvhQOs8a-ilPsb81yQWXp_5zCD4-vEarYY1ukotZjiKjkbe1SqmLTb44uhy3GHMRUTABoWQTwbVGgqBOqU22L0IddYvY6BvAmJPmcirjbdx9AArqxlk-_VN4dNqCjHQLDuOpb8Z18zp-k0cb87iBPD1DvYHIy-Zoj9_db9OncH5qklYsxTN12x_dWKYCE-V0kW_6lC2uklCcLxcXpI5IMUHwUY6PJkAktchyy-95E-ybiG9hkSrm54Y_uLz1xoG428qoSWxfNQMaDWhV9ctw=w871-h653-no

This is a photo of a few face plates I made using 1-8 nuts and in some cases washers. The nuts and washers were purchased in a good (industrial/farm) ace hardware store and it also had 1.25-8 nuts and washers in stock.
Drill a hole a bit smaller then the distance across the nut corners and cbore for the washer then press the nut in and epoxy both in place. When dry mount in your lathe and face off the front of the face plate and true up the OD.

That is ingenious. Thanks Stu.

Several companies make a tap for cutting threads into wood and metal for headstock mounting. You can use CA glue to strengthen the threads or you can use a resin to saturate and strengthen the wood for threads. Aluminum or brass metal is a lot easier to thread by hand when you are looking at cutting larger diameter thread sizes in metal. You could also weld a steel nut onto a flat steel plate.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I'm looking to see if anyone has any they are looking to get rid of on the cheap. I'm turning almost exclusively now with faceplates and it's easier leaving them on while I process these NIP transparent pieces in oil. So I need a few more. I'm aware I can get them new online, just checking here first for someone who's overstocked I guess.
Take a look at my friend Bill Noble web site https://www.wbnoble.com/index.html He's faceplates are super cheap amd and very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back