• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Paper back vs. mesh sanding discs?

For years I have used mesh backed sanding discs on my random orbit sander. Now that I am turning wood I would like to add some 2" and 3" sanding discs to my sandpaper supplies. I already have the Craft Supplies sanding mandrels. I am trying to determine if I should spend the extra bucks to get mesh hook & loop instead of a paper backed hook & loop. Klingspor says their paper is B-weight.

What do you think?

In the 90s, I bought boxes(100 8x11 sheets/box) of cloth backed paper in each grit through 320 and various types of finer grits and sets of misc types 3” from craft supplies. Still have a lot left and didn’t advance to the newer products. I have always hated sanding until recently I tried the 3” Abranet. I actually look forward to sanding now. For me it made a difference.

Abranet ( H&L mesh ) is my favorite.
I use paper/film backed H&L also, but usually if it is wet sanding or a grit I am missing in the abranet range.
There are some different backing pads for abranet, which might be worth looking in to.

What are the advantages to Abranet? To the three fellows above, can you specify why you prefer it?

I have very little experience with sanding products, I currently use the green and blue discs from Vince.

In a nushell, Abranet does not load up ( if you give the dust somewhere to go ), seems to last longer, cuts faster, has softer edges.
It is more expensive, and is not always available in the same middle grits as some other papers.
There is no reason you can't mix and match.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have tried everything in the last 24 years. Abranet is really good. But, I like to grab a fresh one for every grit, for that, I prefer the purple (i was told tat's what they are, could be blue?) Norton ones. I tend to save the Abranet to reuse, something that sometimes can come back and bite you in the face. I use my sandpaper-like someone else is paying for it. When I'm making a bowl that I know will sell for lots of money, the last thing I need to do is save a few cents on each grit. I tried some weave discs, forgot the brand, they were not as good as Abranet.

Well with the woven abrasives, which I don't use any more, I found that in grits up to 180 or so, the standard abrasives cut way faster. Best guess is that you have more abrasive material on your disc. After that grit range, they seem to cut about the same. It was the same with the old 'Astra Dot' or what ever abrasive discs from years ago that had little dots of abrasives on the disc. I did have some paper and cloth backed discs years ago, and don't use them any more. I found out that the stiffer backings work great for flat or convex surfaces, but the edges of the discs can leave 80 grit scratch marks in the wood on concave surfaces. I have gone with the blue discs from Vince for years. They just cut longer and faster than any other discs I have found. Not the cheapest, but for sure the best value.

robo hippy

Another vote for Vince’s blue discs, or the green, they are the same afaik. Green is supposed to have the grit marked on back but not all do. I’ve tried abranet, in the end I liked Vince’s stuff better, all in all a better overall value.

I bought some mesh disks that had a glued on cloth for the "loop" and I found that they worked well but the cloth would come off and the disk went flying. I then tried the Abranet frome Craft Supplies and they appear to have the "loop" integral with the mesh and they hold on much better.

In a nushell, Abranet does not load up ( if you give the dust somewhere to go ), seems to last longer, cuts faster, has softer edges.
It is more expensive, and is not always available in the same middle grits as some other papers.
There is no reason you can't mix and match.

You say "if you give the dust somewhere to go". Does that mean that you use a sander on the lathe that has dust collection capabilities? If so, which sander do you use? I have dust collection capability on the lathe via my dust collector and a hood, but don't own a sander that I could use on bowls which had dust collection built in.

In the 90s, I bought boxes(100 8x11 sheets/box) of cloth backed paper in each grit through 320 and various types of finer grits and sets of misc types 3” from craft supplies. Still have a lot left and didn’t advance to the newer products. I have always hated sanding until recently I tried the 3” Abranet. I actually look forward to sanding now. For me it made a difference.
Dennis: You may be the only turner on the face of the earth that "looks forward to sanding."

You say "if you give the dust somewhere to go". Does that mean that you use a sander on the lathe that has dust collection capabilities? If so, which sander do you use? I have dust collection capability on the lathe via my dust collector and a hood, but don't own a sander that I could use on bowls which had dust collection built in.
If your hook backing is too fine it can load up with dust ( like paper or film backed ), there are backing pads made for abranet that are a bit more open to allow the dust an exit.
I use an angle drill I picked up at Harbor Freight for power sanding. And a collection hose behind the work while sanding.
No integrated dust collection in that rig.
I have used an ROS with a vacuum attachment, good for flat work. Not as useful when doing bowls and such.
I do try to keep the rpm's down on the lathe and drill to keep the dust from flying too much.

Back