• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A Gift for my Doctor(s)

Website
www.ourfamilyforum.org
A Gift for my Doctor(s)
My cancer adventures and battles began back in 2013 and it all started out with a bang! I'm not going to lay out every last little detail here, but the basics go like this.

Late in that year, (2013) my doctor set me up for a CT scan for a completely unrelated issue and that's when we discovered a rather large mass growing on one of my kidneys and not long after that the mass and the kidney were removed. That's when my two blessings kicked in, the first blessing was the discovery of cancer before it spread to anywhere else in my body and the second being when my treatment plan didn't require any chemo or radiation of any kind after the kidney and the cancer were removed, and so then life moved along quite calmly until late in 2017.

And 2017 is when my two SuperHeroines came out to play!
First came my Family PA, Vanessa Kearney, she has actually been taking care of my wife, Kay, and me for many years and she has always kept me headed in the right direction, making sure that I got all my tests and scans in a timely manner and it was one those scans that found my cancer in the very early stages as it came back in my kidney bed and lungs late in 2017. That's when my Oncologist, Dr. Heather Shearer, came onboard and it's her diagnosis and treatment plan that has kept me above ground and breathing all this time since then. There is a third SuperHeroine on my team of course and that's my wife, Kay, because as a retired Nurse she knows a thing or three about medical care so her guidance and advice have kept me safe through the years.
Side Note: Like many, or most of you know, drug prices are crazy high and some are astronomical! The cancer drug that I'm on costs so much (about $7000 per Mo) and the co-pay so high ($895 per Mo) that I simply would not be able to afford it except for the fact that Dr. Shearer's staff was able to find a grant for me that covered the co-pay.
Whoops! I just received a notice (10/8/19) that the funding for my grant has been used up, so now we have to start working on a new source.

So, enough of the back story... let us get on to the woodturning.
It has always seemed more than obvious to me that these two ladies deserve any display of gratitude that I can muster and my wood turnings seemed the best way for me to show them how much they mean to me and also to my family. So, I wanted the gifts to be based on something vintage, or historical that was also related to something that they would be using in their everyday medical practice and during my research, I came upon the perfect medical tool... the stethoscope!

Back in 1816 a French doctor, René Laennec, tried using a rolled-up paper because he didn't feel comfortable placing his head on a woman's chest to listen to her heart and the rolled-up paper worked OK, so he then designed the first stethoscope as a hollow wooden tube. At first, I was going to base my turning on that first wooden tube, but during further research, I found a design with a bit more personality and style.

Before moving on to the finished turning I made a couple of prototypes to test my design ideas and to build up my skills which were sorely out of practice. This one is made from a piece of SYP from the BORG and while it's a bit rough and unfinished it helped me get ready for the real thing.
64-051019193434-881327.jpeg

And the finished Stethoscope.
Purpleheart, 2"x7", finished with 40-50 coats of thin CA.
64-051019192308-8771942.jpeg

64-051019193433-879168.jpeg

And the Big Payoff!
Vanessa received her gift back in May or June and sorry to say my phone died and took any pictures of her with it. It has taken me this long to work up the energy to finish the gift for Heather. These photo's are from a few days ago.
BTW... she tried it and it works.
64-051019192308-8761252.jpeg

64-051019192307-8742415.jpeg

Thanks for looking... Ken.

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
Very cool. I'm teaching my doctor to turn, she keeps me alive, which is a good deal.:D And comes in pretty handy as I'm typing this in a hospital bed with some kind of mysterious ailment. She and her Dr. husband have made sure I have what I need here-not without its challenges.

John

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Very cool. I'm teaching my doctor to turn, she keeps me alive, which is a good deal.:D And comes in pretty handy as I'm typing this in a hospital bed with some kind of mysterious ailment. She and her Dr. husband have made sure I have what I need here-not without its challenges.

John

The non-mysterious type of ailments are bad enough. I'm hoping the mystery will soon be solved so that you can bust out of that joint real soon.

Ken, thanks for sharing. I hope you regain all of your strength soon. I'm still learning (actually had a new learning experience this afternoon working on a sphere). Would you share a bit more info on your project. That looks like something I could tackle. It's always fun to make something useful.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com

John
John - Get well soon
Al

Website
www.ourfamilyforum.org

John
Be well John.
Sounds like you have a good team backing you up, that can make all the difference.

Website
www.ourfamilyforum.org
Ken, thanks for sharing. I hope you regain all of your strength soon. I'm still learning (actually had a new learning experience this afternoon working on a sphere). Would you share a bit more info on your project. That looks like something I could tackle. It's always fun to make something useful.
Thanks Mike. The project was rather simple and basic as turnings go, the thing that sets this apart for me is the back story.

As for the turning process, I broke it down to three stages.

First came the search for inspriation on what to actually turn that would be true to the idea behind the project, and that idea was that the turning should be based on a vintage or historical version of some modren day tool or device that my doctors would use in their day to day work. It didn't take me very long to hit upon the perfect choice, in my mind, and that was the stethoscope.

Second was the preperation phase where I settled on one of the designs from the early 1800s as the doctors of that day began to develope and use the tool. Also in this second phase was getting the purpleheart that was to be the wood of choice and also doing the prototypes using SYP.
One side note on the purple heart, I ordered a peice that was not surfaced, so it was a full 2"x4"x4', and I thought that the price was OK but during the phone conversation with the lumber yard I made a really big mistake... there was never any discussion about the type of shiping, so the guy at the lumber yard sent it overnight and the shipping cost more that the wood!!!

And in the third phase came the turning. Again, this was a very basic turning, with mostly spindle work with a little hollowing added. For detail or instruction on those processes your best bet is to go with any of the great teachers here on AAW because I'm very much a beginner and tend the thrash and bang around a lot, so you'll not want to follow my lead... hahahha
For the finish I used only thin CA and while the application count of 40-50 coats may sound a bit high please remember that I tend to 'thrash' around and redos are not uncommond in my shop.
Sanding, first with dry aluminum oxide paper 240 throught the grits up to 1000, then start appling thin CA and after 20 or so coats start sanding with wet micro-mesh from 1500 to 12000. after three or so rounds I finally began to get it right.

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
They have figured out what's wrong, and I'm waiting on the surgeons. I'm already under the care of this team of doctors due to my ongoing liver issues. They are among the best, I'm just glad that they know what's wrong. I think by tomorrow I'll be back on track. I've felt poorly for several weeks, but kind of vague, so I'm happy its figured out. I guess I'll need to make some of Ken's stethoscopes. Thanks for the idea, glad you are doing well.

John

Back