• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

3/4" bowl gouges

I am thinking about investing in a 3/4" diameter bowl gouge. My main goal is to be able to rough out green bowl blanks faster. I have been using a 5/8" diameter Robert Sorby bowl gouge for this purpose. Will the 3/4" gouge result in a significant difference? I use a PM 3520 lathe.

If I do get a 3/4" gouge, I was going to upgrade to M42 steel. Does the M42 truly hold the edge longer than the M2 steel?

Thanks

I do have one 3/4 gouge, but don't use it. For some reason, and perhaps it is if I used it a lot I might get used to it, I just didn't care for it. My preference for heavy roughing on my bowls is scrapers, and the Big Ugly scraper in particular. Look up my video about Scary Scrapers. As for tool metals, the ones I use now, other than the Big Ugly are all M42 D Way, or the V10 from Thompson tools. They do hold an edge considerably longer. In practical terms, what this means is that you can do a lot more heavy roughing with them before you need to sharpen, but I still use a fresh edge for finish cuts.

robo hippy

I agree with Reed, I use my large scraper to rough out bowls. It roughs out much faster than my bowl gouge on green wood.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I am thinking about investing in a 3/4" diameter bowl gouge. My main goal is to be able to rough out green bowl blanks faster. I have been using a 5/8" diameter Robert Sorby bowl gouge for this purpose. Will the 3/4" gouge result in a significant difference? I use a PM 3520 lathe.

If I do get a 3/4" gouge, I was going to upgrade to M42 steel. Does the M42 truly hold the edge longer than the M2 steel?

Thanks

What grind are you using?
How wide of a shaving?

Most everyone can rough faster by fine tuning technique and grind.

Few people can use a scraper well enough to do better with it than a gouge.
@Lamar Wright and @robo hippy are exceptions, you may be one as well but they are rare.
The well known production turners use gouges because they are faster and easier on the body.
If they could work faster with scrapers they would all use scrapers.
Also you have to use a curved rest with scrapers.

A 3/4 diameter bar can remove more wood than a 5/8. however when I demo on a Powermatic with my 5/8 diameter bar bowl gouge I have to slow my feed rate or stall the lathe. So I wouldn’t recommend a 3/4 diameter bar for that machine when stalls with a 5/8 diameter bar.

When I take a 3/4” wide shaving on my ONEWAY with an Ellsworth ground gouge with a about an Inch long wing.
I can take a 1” cut with my 3/4 gouge but I haven’t used it in years. Just don’t do enough big bowls to worry about a few extra minutes with the 5/8 diameter bar tool.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
This is 3.5 minute video of turning the outside of an NE bowl.
You can get an idea of what a 1/2” bowl gouge (5/8 diameter bar can do).
I’m taking close to the wing length shavings in the early part.
The lathe does all the work.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ0fC5Rk6h4

Also the fastest way to rough the inside is by coring and then you get 2-3 bowls

If faster is the only purpose, you would be wasting money. I can stop my 2hp Oneway 2436 with a big cut with a 5/8" bowl gouge. A tool can't remove more material than your lathe has horsepower. As far as edge holding, I can't see the advantage of that in a tool for roughing the shape.

My 5/8" diameter bowl gouge has a fingernail grind fairly close to the factory grind it came with originally from Sorby. I've probably modified the grind to be slightly more aggressive.

My 3/4” bowl gouge sits unused. The lathe has plenty of horsepower - 3hp, but I just haven’t seen the need to take a larger shaving. Pretty much every bowl blank gets cored, and even roughing blanks is plenty fast with a well sharpened 5/8” gouge. I use D-Way (M42) tools for the most part, along with a few Thompson V10 gouges - better steel does last longer, particularly when roughing. Most of my finishing work gets done with 1/2” gouges...

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
My 5/8" diameter bowl gouge has a fingernail grind fairly close to the factory grind it came with originally from Sorby. I've probably modified the grind to be slightly more aggressive.

From the factory if memory serves the Sorby will take about a 1/4” shaving.
The grinds with a short wing or no wing work ok. And it is the only grind some people use.

However all of the top production bowl turners use a side ground gouge.

The Ellsworth grind and other side grinds have a lot of advantages for bowl turning.
One of those is taking a shaving close to the length of the wing.

Compare what you are able to do with your current grind and the what the Ellsworth grind will do in the first 45 seconds of the video I posted above.

If you want to remove wood like that, Find a class or someone to mentor you in using the side ground bowl gouge.

Last edited:
Website
www.vanduynwoodwork.com
I use a 3/4 Thompson for all my rouging work with a pointy tip, as I rough out alot of irregular shaped blanks. When I was doing more bowl roughing and coring the 3/4 helped speed things up. I use it every day I turn so it gets alot of work. Ive got a pointy fingernail grind on it and it does well enough. I will be using that one for quite a while its gonna take a long time to grind that one down. Some mention that a 3/4 isn't worth it if it will stall out the motor, and while that is true I personally like the extra weight on the tool for reducing chatter. That gets back to personal preference though.

A 3/4" bowl gouge is one of those tools that I've read a lot of comments over the years about people buying them and then not using them. I've never had one myself but even in this post I see that there are quite a few that don't use it once they've bought it.
But this discussion made me wonder if you've considered a bowl coring setup. It's quite a bit more expensive than the 3/4" gouge but would pay for itself pretty quickly. If you're making enough large bowls to need a big beefy gouge like that, you could be coring your blanks and getting 2,3,4 or more bowls instead of a big pile of shavings. It's just something you might want to consider.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have a couple ¾" bowl gouges that I rarely use. I prefer using ½" and ⅝" (US size) bowl gouges Tweaking your technique might be a better answer to improving speed. I haven't noticed any meaningful connection between bowl gouge size and speed, but then my turning style involves a good helping of relaxation therapy rather than racing the clock.

Someone will undoubtedly correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a 5/8" Sorby, since the Brits measure across the flute, the steel diameter is 3/4". Voila'! You've got your big gouge. If you're using a 1/2" Sorby and relating the steel diameter of 5/8" to us, then you could go bigger.

I'm with Al. I bet you could get the result you desire with a little more sweep to the edge and presenting the wing edge to the wood (which is a lot harder to do comfortably than it is to say in an email)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Someone will undoubtedly correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a 5/8" Sorby, since the Brits measure across the flute, the steel diameter is 3/4". Voila'! You've got your big gouge. If you're using a 1/2" Sorby and relating the steel diameter of 5/8" to us, then you could go bigger.

I'm with Al. I bet you could get the result you desire with a little more sweep to the edge and presenting the wing edge to the wood (which is a lot harder to do comfortably than it is to say in an email)

You are correct about Sorby and any other British bowl gouge. The actual diameter is always ⅛" greater than the stated size. Just to confuse things they use actual diameter on spindle gouges.

As to why some big name turners don't use scrapers for roughing, I would speculate that they just have never seen it done that way. At the Symposium in Atlanta a few years back, I went to the Woodworker's Emporium booth to test drive a Vic. Stuart Batty and Christian (owner of WE) were behind me and I was roughing with my Big Ugly tool. Stuart's eyed got as big as a full moon, and he was miming my back and forth motion that I use when roughing with a scraper. He had never seen a scraper used like that before. This technique means that the cutting edge never comes off the wood, compared to the gouge that starts at the top, pushes through to the bottom, comes off the wood, and repeats. The scraper is a forgotten tool. There are those who claim that a scraper doesn't cut, it scrapes. Well, I can get nice long ribbons of shavings with my scrapers, either very heavy or thin enough to see through. You can't do that without cutting. Perhaps more accurate would be that it does a scraping cut. The two main comments I get after demonstrating how I use scrapers are "I may have to reconsider my opinion about scrapers" and "I have never seen a scraper used like that". I consider myself to be very efficient with a gouge. A gouge can't keep up with a scraper for bulk heavy duty stock removal when roughing out bowls.

How big and how wide of a shaving you take off depends on how big of a cutting edge you have on your tool, how hard you push, and how much power your lathe has. I haven't met a lathe I couldn't stall with a 3/4 inch scraper or a 5/8 inch gouge. Yes, I am on the Brute Squad...

I quit using the side ground/Irish grind/Ellsworth grinds years ago. Just no use for them. I use a 40/40 for outsides, and down the wall on the inside, and a 60 or 70 degree bevel for the transition and across the bottom of the bowl. Best use for the swept back grind that I can think of is for shear scraping on the outside of the bowl.

Not sure about the comment about needing a shaped tool rest for scraper use. I guess I look at people who prefer straight tool rests for bowls the same way I look at people who have sliding headstocks and don't use them. In bowl lathe position, on the tailstock end, you can stand up straight, and not have to extend your arms out away from your body, which to me means less work and better tool control. Yes, I could use long bed lathe turning technique and get better at it if I worked at it, but don'e see any reason to do so. More than anything else, using a shaped tool rest means you don't have to move your banjo as many times and/or adjust the tool rest. I agree with Stuart, Mike Mahoney, and Glenn Lucas that the inside curved rests like the Oneway and the first one from Robust, both of which were a 1/4 circle arc and had the post on the very end, the post was in the way, and in general they took way more time to adjust to follow the curve of the bowl. The J rest is a step up, but still not up to my standards, so I made my own. With the short bed lathe, and scraper use, yes, the scraper does take a little bit more force to use, but since my arms are in close to my body, there is no abuse of my body in using one. Same as with gouges, you need to learn not to extend out over the tool rest too far, or try to take too big of a bite. That is common sense, which we all know is not very common....

I would not use a scraper for roughing out a natural edge, at least not near the edges as it will tear. I have been accused of being different..... Lamar must be a brother from a different mother....

robo hippy

My Sorby is a 5/8" diameter to U.S. standards, which Sorby calls a 1/2" gouge. The end of the wing is about 9/16" from the tip of the tool. I assume a true Ellsworth grind might be a little longer than that. I did a fair amount of training with a great turner from my local woodturning club. He has a Oneway coring tool and we cored out all of the big bowls that I did this past winter. I would definitely like to get one myself. These large bowls that I did where too tall for my bandsaw, so I had to round them the best that I could with the chainsaw. It was a decent amount of work to get them rounded up on the lathe with the 5/8" diameter gouge. That was really what I had in mind when I started this thread. With a chainsaw rounded blank, I was thinking a 3/4" diameter gouge would go a little faster and provide a little more heft with the interrupted cut. I did 8 bowls this way, so I was getting pretty good at rounding them up by the end with the 5/8" gouge. I'm not sure if I'll ever get into bowls this deep again. I hear most people say that 8" deep bowls aren't all that desirable. I just wanted to see how they would turn out being that deep. I can always cut them down if I don't like the first one!

I have a 3/4" and 1" bowl gouge from Serious Tools (no longer in business). I use them sometimes when roughing larger green bowls. Last weekend I was helping the club turn tops for kids at the county fair. We were turning on Jet midi lathes. I used my 3/4" bowl gouge to round some spindle blanks and even turned one top with it (very very light cuts). It was fun to show off but then I went back to my 3/8" gouge.

The bigger the gouge the farther over the rest you can cut. Being a lazy person, this allows me to rough out with less rest adjustments. As Damon so astutely points out, you don’t have to take a full cut every time. Just my opinion.

Chuck Lobaito

AAW Board Member
Depends on the size of the bowls. I have a Thompson 3/4 bowl gouge and love it for initial roughing of bowls 15-20". I put it in a 24 inch SB tools bolster and handle so I could sharpen it without the weight of the handle. I use a traditional grind, not 40/40 on this one for speed. I switch to a 5/8 or 1/2 for the final cut.

Well, I made the purchase of a 3/4" bowl gouge with M42 steel. I have used it a few times now. I think that I made a mistake with buying the U-shape version, at least for roughing the bowls. I cannot get a good push cut without vibration. I have played around with all types of different tool presentation to the wood. It does well on pull cuts, but I prefer push cuts for removing lots of wood.

Now, for finishing bowls, I am loving it for doing scraping and shear scraping. The huge wings are superb for scraping. I am new to shear scraping with a gouge. I had been practicing with my 5/8" OD Sorby and good never get a smooth cut without ridges. With the 3/4" U-shape, I was able to get very smooth shear scraping cuts on the outside of my bowl. I was sanding out the micro ridges starting with 280 grit.

As far as the M42 steel, I am not impressed at all. I see absolutely no difference in edge retention versus M2 steel. When I tried the new gouge for roughing the outside of bowls, I actually felt the edge dulled quicker than my old Sorby.

I'm not giving up on using the new U-shape for roughing yet. I am still going to work with it and try to find a technique that works. But, I think the V shape would have been the better choice for roughing.

As far as M42 and V10, I use both exclusively. I bought a signature brand parabolic fluted gouge to try, and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. It was the M2 HSS, which would not keep the edge any where near as long as the others. If you use them extensively and then go back to M2, you might feel a big difference.

The U flute from Doug, is a strange beast. It doesn't take the swept back grind as well as the V or parabolic fluted gouges. It might work better as a traditional grind, and it does work excellently as a BOB (bottom of bowl) gouge.

robo hippy

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
As far as M42 and V10, I use both exclusively. I bought a signature brand parabolic fluted gouge to try, and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. It was the M2 HSS, which would not keep the edge any where near as long as the others. If you use them extensively and then go back to M2, you might feel a big difference.

The U flute from Doug, is a strange beast. It doesn't take the swept back grind as well as the V or parabolic fluted gouges. It might work better as a traditional grind, and it does work excellently as a BOB (bottom of bowl) gouge.

robo hippy
Robo is right! The U shape is for the bottom. I have it and is great, but definitely I would not use it for roughing...

Doug Thompson's U shaped tools used with the grind Doug puts on them cuts very well. I myself find them too aggressive and you cannot put a long wing on them. I work in Doug's booth at the big symposiums and have had a chance over last 14 years or so to talk with hundreds of folks who use the U shaped gouges as their go to tools. These folks use these gouges just like me and many many others use the V gouges, roughing and finishing. The only U I use is the 3/8 U ground to about 85 degrees and used just for the transition from the side to the bottom of bowls that I cannot get rid of say tear out any other way.

It has been so long since I have seen how the U comes straight from Doug, that I can't remember..... and other things as well...... I can get a 40/40 on it, but the shape seems to vanish after a bit and then I have to go back and grind the profile upside down and then sharpen to that shape.... again and again....

robo hippy

Can't say about speed of roughing out a bowl with a 3/4" gouge but, if you're going to buy one, I'd recommend the Crown® Pro-PM Ellsworth Gouge. I feel that it holds its edge a very long time. The PM is for powdered metallurgy and even I can get it very sharp.

I have used a carbide round insert tool for roughing and I can really get a bowl shaped quickly with it. However, I'm guessing that a more experienced and talented turner can shape and hollow out much faster with a gouge that I can with any tools.

Back