• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

An observation about newbie woodturners.......

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Over the years, I've noticed a common theme among other new woodturners. They come and they go rather quickly. Of course, there are a few who are in it for the long haul, but it seems the great majority of all new turners become past-turners within a couple years.....for many, it takes much less time to drop-out! :eek:

I suppose we could get some Freudian analysis here, but I suspect the largest segment of the drop-outs just didn't realize how complicated, and difficult it is to fine-tune well-honed woodturning skills.

Sure, just about anyone can muddle through the beginning stages of learning by producing basic shapes, and then power sanding the hell out of it. :rolleyes: Others bypass all the real traditional skills by covering a nice piece of wood with embellishment.....(not to acknowledge there is some mighty fine embellishment going on within the woodturning community!) A few others can't resist the urge to invest in carbide tipped tools......and, who could blame them?.....but, how many turners who "stick it out" remain using carbide tools, and never learn to skillfully sharpen traditional tools?

Most of those "newbies" could learn a lot by participating in this, or other forums......but, most don't want to expose themselves as being new turners (I think). o_O A few of the other "more experienced" turners don't want to expose themselves as not knowing everything about turning, and therefore don't have to learn new things......too bad about that! (I have participated, and lurked on a few other woodturning forums, but believe this AAW forum is the best!) Some of the "regulars" here are very good at sorting out questions and answering in a responsible, or non-threatening manner......it's all about the comradarie, and not to spotlight their own beliefs of how they see themselves. (Of course.....with everything, there is always the exception to the rule.....this forum included!) :(

Anyway......your thoughts/observations on this is encouraged and anticipated.....:D

-----odie-----

keep on turnin'.jpg

I understand that you are trying to make the point that many folks don’t feel comfortable asking for help and get frustrated and stop turning, but I’ll add another perspective.

As a 3 year newbie, I can say that I started turning as a weekend hobby. I assume a large number are in the same boat. This hobby needs space, money, and time. Not something everyone has. And with time, you get bored and decide you want another hobby or go in a different direction.

I don’t find turning as exciting anymore, and if I did not invest so much into it, I would probably not miss it. I can turn so many bowls and hollow forms before it gets repetitive as a hobby.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Most folks associated with clubs see a pattern similar to ones I see in two chapters I belong to.

For every 5 new members a year then 4 of them give up turning within 3 years the other is hooked long term.

The clubs are pretty successful at exposing the new members to demonstrations, classes, and mentoring.
Very few quit because they are frustrated. They quit because of demands for time and other things interest them more.

I know of several highly successful Wood turners who have quit woodturning moving into
Other mediums. Three I can think of went to photography, all carving, all bandsaw work.

Interests change.

I turned a lot of bowls, platters and vases when I first started turning, the hobby turned into a sideline business as I was able to turn specialty tools, forms and molds for a guild that I belong to. As the years progressed I also turned a large variety of items to broaden my turning skills and keep my turning skills moving forward trying to find new items to keep the juices flowing. Depending on the age of the turner and their situation in the work place and profession they hold, life can change rapidly for a large percentage of these people. Many professionals these days move from project to project and many move to take advanced education in select schools. Many markets can come and go along with the jobs that revolve around these markets and these individuals have to adjust to the market and many times this can impact their hobbies and lifestyle. Many young professionals these days are advised not to purchase a house as they realize they will be moving from one job to another every couple of years as they gain experience and move upwards in the market. Many of these part time turners will get back into the hobby once they have settled into a solid footing in the work place and have a space available to set up a shop to work from. A trend for many of these younger craftspeople is to join a hacker space or maker space where they have access to a large number of tools and equipment for various projects. This would be a good location for a turning club to bring new turners into the hobby.

I have a bit of an obsessive and addictive personality. I get an idea stuck in my head, and cannot move on until I've gone way overboard with it.

My very first exposure to the whole concept of a lathe was when I was doing 3D modeling, years and years ago. I used an application called 3D Ray Dream Studio, and it had a modeling feature called "lathe", where you created a profile spline, then spun it around an axis, and it would create a 3D object. Not being familiar with the concept, I of course researched it and learned about wood turning. But it was years and years later before I finally got into it. And now I'm absolutely obsessed with it.

I started with a laser engraver (GlowForge), which led me to a CNC machine (Carvey), when then led me to table saws, band saws, miter saws, and especially resin. The thing that pushed me over the edge, and got me to get a lathe was resin/wood turnings I saw on YouTube. I mostly make wood/hybrid "dragon eggs", which I imagine I'll be making for a while since now all my friends, family, and co-workers all want one. I also plan on exploring wood/resin bowls as well. But I most certainly do not consider myself a wood worker. I really don't want to dedicate the time and effort that professional woodturners put in. For now it's a hobby, I find it extremely therapeutic and relaxing.

Yes I use carbide cutters (the negative rake carbide tool cuts resin like it's butter so smooth...) and I have no plan to learn how to sharpen chisels. Should I? Probably. But sharpening chisels isn't what interests me, so I'll spend more time on what does interest me, and that's the turning and shaping. Not a proper attitude, I'm sure. But it is what it is, and I'm loving what I am doing.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Others bypass all the real traditional skills by covering a nice piece of wood with embellishment.

You misunderstand - most embellishment requires an excellent surface before the embellishment goes on.

Embellishing is done by people who turn smooth surfaces because it rarely hides a poor surface.

Consider the groove embellishment I see on some bowls.
Would a turner do this to hide poor turning as you state Above? I think not.

Even sandblasting requires a good surface as tearout and lines will show through the sandblasting

My 5-year old grandson mentioned the other day that woodturning is what old people do to pass the time, I had to explain to him that there are large numbers of people of every age that turn wood and other materials on a lathe. Young or old everyone has a preconceived idea of what woodturning is and what it involves. It really comes down to the user and his vision of what they want to create.

but it seems the great majority of all new turners become past-turners within a couple years.....for many, it takes much less time to drop-out! :eek:
Howdy Odie..... I'm in almost 3 years and lovin it! :D I really enjoyed this thread Odie, I learn a lot from using Search in this forum and I can just about find any process or question I have......

I'm in the camp of using traditional wood turning tools. Coming from using carbide tools when I had the pen shop, when I started turning bowls I had the desire to learn how to use the traditional tools.:D

As I believe others have touched on, ascribing motives to people you've never met is fraught with danger ;-)

I'm what you would classify as a "newbie". I've been involved in woodworking and woodworking clubs for 25+ yrs, but never had a lathe. My wife gave me a bowl class with local turner in the 1990's, which was enjoyable, but I didn't own a lathe and didn't want to buy one. Recently, after spending 15 months rebuilding my house after Hurricane Harvey visited, I "gifted" myself a decent lathe and have spent the last 8+ months spending alot of time learning and practicing. I enjoy it, but I enjoy doing a couple dozen other things too. I'm sure at some point down the road, some other interest will come calling louder, and I'll spend more time on that interest.

I personally view this as a good thing, as it allows me the freedom to explore interests when my passion is highest. My father was a microbiologist researcher, and he told me the job was "to learn more and more about less and less, until you know everything about nothing". I took a different road ;-)

I tell people who are interested in turning to make a dozen, or even a hundred of whatever form you're interested in. And try to make every one slightly different from the others. That's how experience, skill and imagination can take hold and merge into something wonderful. But some folk don't have the patience, or resources to make dozens of the same thing. Others may not have an outlet for their work...there are only so many bowls you can give away to friends and family. So it may be hard for many to spend enough time in front of a lathe to gain real gratification from this craft. My calling over the past 30 years or so has gravitated to lathe turned toys. There are always kids in the neighborhood whose eyes light up when you give them a yo-yo or spin top.

Last edited:
I began woodworking in junior high school in the 1960’s. Resumed in 1987, and began to furnish my garage shop with machines like table saw, power tools like electric drills, skill saws, circular saws, sanders etc. After a number of years making some furniture, in 2006 I wanted to make a couple of tables with turned legs.....that began my foray into the turning world. I kept at it, upgrading lathes, acquiring chucks, gouges, jigs like steady rest, threading jig, coring rig, and many others too numerous to list, and now have 3 lathes in my small shop. I have my work in galleries, and have done numerous demos on numerous type forms, techniques. I used to golf, hunt, and fish on occasion, and as I have gotten closer to retirement, have narrowed my activities outside of work to woodworking, and mostly turning. I suppose that I will continue to build, turn and make wood related items until I can no longer do it, which I hope is at least a couple of decades or more, but I am still developing/refining skills, and looking for my investment of time and money to be rewarded in the items I sell. I want to stay active, always have purpose in the making, and make the effort pay off financially, for the good of my family. Yep.....I’m hooked! ;)

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Over the years, I've noticed a common theme among other new woodturners. They come and they go rather quickly. Of course, there are a few who are in it for the long haul, but it seems the great majority of all new turners become past-turners within a couple years.....for many, it takes much less time to drop-out! :eek:

I suppose we could get some Freudian analysis here, but I suspect the largest segment of the drop-outs just didn't realize how complicated, and difficult it is to fine-tune well-honed woodturning skills.

Sure, just about anyone can muddle through the beginning stages of learning by producing basic shapes, and then power sanding the hell out of it. :rolleyes: Others bypass all the real traditional skills by covering a nice piece of wood with embellishment.....(not to acknowledge there is some mighty fine embellishment going on within the woodturning community!) A few others can't resist the urge to invest in carbide tipped tools......and, who could blame them?.....but, how many turners who "stick it out" remain using carbide tools, and never learn to skillfully sharpen traditional tools?

Most of those "newbies" could learn a lot by participating in this, or other forums......but, most don't want to expose themselves as being new turners (I think). o_O A few of the other "more experienced" turners don't want to expose themselves as not knowing everything about turning, and therefore don't have to learn new things......too bad about that! (I have participated, and lurked on a few other woodturning forums, but believe this AAW forum is the best!) Some of the "regulars" here are very good at sorting out questions and answering in a responsible, or non-threatening manner......it's all about the comradarie, and not to spotlight their own beliefs of how they see themselves. (Of course.....with everything, there is always the exception to the rule.....this forum included!) :(

Anyway......your thoughts/observations on this is encouraged and anticipated.....:D

-----odie-----

View attachment 30261
My wife often tells me that not everyone is as obsesed with woodturning as I am. I have seen it all, lots of reasons why they quit. A common one, they thought it was easier...

I am a newbie turner, passing the 3 year mark in my woodturning journey. I have always liked woodworking and admire beautiful work done by local craftsmen. So I decided to try woodturning.

The turning point for me was joining a club and linking up with a 75 year old youngster named Joe who has been turning for 30-40 years. For some reason we hit it off, and Joe invited me to spend time with him, learning woodturning. Now most Fridays we get together for a cup of coffee and a day of turning.

A day with Joe is like spending a day with Santa Claus. He is always laughing, teasing and teaching me. Regularly he greets me with, “look what I found!” and gives me a piece of wood from his massive stockpile of blanks, and asks, “have you every made anything from wood like this?” Of course I haven’t and he then proceeds to teach me how to turn something unique. When I screw up he laughs and says, “I have never done that-except maybe a couple of dozen times!”, and shows me how not to make the same mistake again. Will I ever gain his level of excellence in turning? Probably not. That doesn't bother me, because he makes learning fun. Will I stick with woodturning? Absolutely, because Joe has taught me more than woodturning. He has taught me the joy of learning together, doing something we both love.

I realize I am very fortunate to have a mentor like Joe. Because of him, I have also come to believe that mentorship is a key factor in transforming newbie turners into life-long, woodturning advocates. I have watched a few new members stop coming to our meetings. I don’t know all the reasons but suspect that learning new skills without the help of someone like Joe could be part of it. My two cents of advice to club officers out there is to establish a mentoring program for newbies. I am guessing they will stick around longer, and learn to love the art and craft of woodturning, like I have.

My apologies for the long, rambling reply. Guys like Joe don’t get enough credit for building the next generation of woodturners. In a couple of years when my skills improve, it will be my turn to step up to the plate and help a newbie, just like Joe helped me.

odie

TOTW Team
My wife often tells me that not everyone is as obsesed with woodturning as I am. I have seen it all, lots of reasons why they quit. A common one, they thought it was easier...

Yep, that's what I was pointing out, Emiliano. Of course, there are many reasons for giving up, and we're reading about them in this thread......but, It's my belief that those thinking woodturning would be a breeze is probably the most common reason of all. As I pointed out earlier, it's fairly easy to punch out a basic bowl, and power sand it to death, and come up with something fairly worthy of pride in one's accomplishments.......;)

Another reason is just getting too old, and not physically able to handle the requirements of pursuing woodturning anymore. I'm now 70, and I'm seeing that I don't have the ability to stay on my feet for long hours, like I used to. I'm still managing to stay very productive, but I do foresee a time in the not too distant future, where I might not be......:(

The rate at which one learns will vary with each individual, and I'm one who has been a slow learner.....but, one great advantage I've had, is I was still a young man when I started turning 37 years ago. I'm betting the great majority of turners who start this hobby (or, obsession, as the case may be! :rolleyes:) as a senior citizen, wish they had started many years ago..... :D

-----odie-----

Last edited:
Website
www.steercreekwood.com
Odie I have more than a decade of wake ups on you and I am still turning. I also raise cattle on a small farm. I don't turn as much as I use to but I do try to make each piece a little better than the last one. I never will be a great turner but I still sell quite a few. BTW I admire the quality of what you make.

Yep, that's what I was pointing out, Emiliano. Of course, there are many reasons for giving up, and we're reading about them in this thread......but, It's my belief that those thinking woodturning would be a breeze is probably the most common reason of all. As I pointed out earlier, it's fairly easy to punch out a basic bowl, and power sand it to death, and come up with something fairly worthy of pride in one's accomplishments.......;)

Another reason is just getting too old, and not physically able to handle the requirements of pursuing woodturning anymore. I'm now 70, and I'm seeing that I don't have the ability to stay on my feet for long hours, like I used to. I'm still managing to stay very productive, but I do foresee a time in the not too distant future, where I might not be......:(

The rate at which one learns will vary with each individual, and I'm one who has been a slow learner.....but, one great advantage I've had, is I was still a young man when I started turning 37 years ago. I'm betting the great majority of turners who start this hobby (or, obsession, as the case may be! :rolleyes:) as a senior citizen, wish they had started many years ago..... :D

-----odie-----

Odie,

A good quality bench top lathe and a comfortable chair with back support and you can continue to spend hours at the lathe without having to stand all day hunched over the big machine. Some of the most impressive turned pieces can be the smaller items that have the detail and design features that come with age and experience. Some turners will mount a bench top lathe at an angle which brings the bed ways towards you and allows you to lean back in the chair and support your back and relax while you are turning with the tools. If I remember correctly there are several lathe companies that also make lathes mounted on adjustable legs that allow you to rotate the lathe towards the operator.

Actually I agree to an extent. When I first got into turning about 8 yrs ago I stumbled in by accident. I was making a rocker and invested to much time not to buy a midi lathe to finish it. I still work full time so my opportunity to turn are mostly limited to the weekends. I have gained most of my skill by reading ,watching various DVD's and listening to you old fossils.:D Turning is a very time consuming skill to get comfortable with for most new turners. So I think if you have limited time it requires a much longer time to grow into it and that in it's self may deter many new turners with limited time to stick with it for the long haul. The one thing I regret not doing and it is sage advise from many of you is to seek out some hands on help with developing your skill set to shorten that frustrating and often time punishing learning curve.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
A common one, they thought it was easier...

Turning is easy if you get a couple of quality classes and learn to let the tools do the work.
A lot of folks who are used to conquering tasks with muscle never get the feel for holding the tools with fingertips.

A successful learning experience begins with quality instruction followed by practicing what you learn. People get to be happier turners by spending money on classes instead of the most expensive lathe they can afford.

Now moving big bowl blanks is hard unless you have a forklift and crane.
Moving a lot of small bowl blanks can be tough too.

Last edited:
When I first started turning, I was turning nearly all teak, because it was given to me. (Uncle at a furniture factory back then) Easy to turn and get a decent finish just by holding a rag tight enough to the wood to cause heat. Then I was away for 40 years. Things have changed a great deal. Wood still spins but the tools and holding methods are a lot different. There are those who turn bowls, those who turn spindles and a group that does both. I like to make things that have a use other than collecting dust. I still can't finish some woods all that well. My club tries to have varied types of programs. I took notice that most seem preoccupied with bowls and hollow forms.

Part of the problem at the club, is that programs cater to the journeyman turner and it is something everyone can understand, but sharpening and tool use, is where many beginners get lost and then fall out. We have a member who experiments with different tools and grinds and reports to the club. Some times I go just for his reports.

I have been using only two chisels recently. The roughing gouge and the skew. Only had one run out in three hours of turning the other day. I figure I am finally getting the use of the skew. If I could stop having catches and such with my bowl gouge, that would be nice. That will be the next tool I concentrate on.

My random thoughts.
I just finished my fourth year of turning. I'm not employed so I spend almost every day in the shop, some days an hour or two, other days can be upwards of ten hours or so. I still enjoy turning but I'm not a repetitive turner like my neighbor is (he turns hundreds of pens a year, the same kit, nothing else). I like taking risks and trying something new, sometimes with form, sometimes with embellishments. As Hockenberry stated, embellishments do not hide flaws, in fact they can enhance flaws. A woodturning artist not only needs to be a good artist, he/she needs to be an excellent turner. I embellish for a few reasons. It helps to keep the boredom at bay, its an opportunity for me to be off my feet when my neuropathy makes standing unbearable, and, well, its just fun to do.

I've only attended one club meeting this year. Because of my absence people have asked if I stopped turning but my reason for not attending is a bit selfish. The demonstrations have either been something I have no desire to see or because the demonstrator is one that put me to sleep at a previous demonstration (this later reason is more common that you would expect). And with my ptsd flaring up more this year I've just been antisocial, both at the meetings and on the message boards. But I haven't stopped turning, not yet.

When I was a newbie turner I was so proud of everything that came off the lathe and I posted a lot of pictures. As I became a better turner I also became more critical of my pieces in regards to form, finish and more. As I became more critical I realized that you guys are so much better than me so I haven't been posting pictures of my work. One day I want to be an artist, I'm still on my journey. My goal as I start my fifth year of turning is to focus on form.

Anyway, those are just my rambling thoughts. Sometimes a turner might just have gone behind the curtain but not have left the stage.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
As I became a better turner I also became more critical of my pieces in regards to form, finish and more. As I became more critical I realized that you guys are so much better than me so I haven't been posting pictures of my work. One day I want to be an artist, I'm still on my journey. My goal as I start my fifth year of turning is to focus on form.

That is common theme I hear from studio artists is that they would like to buy back the early pieces they sold.
Everyone starts somewhere.

I would like to see some of current work.
Please post photos when you reach a new level or turn something different.

You may not have much time turning as some however you have observations to share that we all benefit from.

I have many of the same comments as Damon, except I still attend the club meetings.

For me I don’t think I could have started earlier and kept the interest. Too much life and expense with children and basically starting out with nothing more than a car payment. I do think this is the best fourm for woodturning. However I think sometimes we may scare a new turner thinking he needs a $5,000+ lathe and several thousand dollars in support just to try turning. Most of us tend to get to that at some point, but not necessary to start. I’ve been turning things other than pens for about 4 years. As far as embellishment, I don’t sell other than a few craft shows. I could not sell a bowl for the cost of an exotic or figured blank in my area no matter how well done. So I only make from local “free” wood cherry, ash, sycamore, walnut, etc. So if I don’t embellish these wood they are really bland. I need to set my work apart from the $10 Walmart wood bowl. As Al said, it is really important to have a very good finish before you embellish. I don’t like using carbide, but if someone wants to use carbide starting out so be it. The most important thing is to be able to make something.

William,

Some regions of the country do not support the bowl turning market at a fair price, some turners have success with making duck calls, turkey calls and other outdoor activity items that can be turned on a lathe. I have seen some of these small items sell for more then the average price of a turned bowl depending on the maker and the quality, the smaller items do not require a large size wood blank which gets expensive for the exotic woods. Christmas ornaments are another item that sell for good money and do not require large billets of wood.

Mike

I do sell wine stoppers, ring holders, and Christmas ornaments at craft shows. I call them booth fee items. I do sell the occasional bowl art turning and small lidded box. Most are in the $30-$40 range but a few $80 range. If I were to buy an exotic bowl blank I wouldn’t get much more. I only do these shows because my wife does embroidery and I have to do her setup. So I also setup a table.

Could it be they just get bored with the work they are trying to produce? I for one will JUST STOP and not touch something quite a while. One thing I just recently did was go to some art shops after my wife has been asked to show her paintings. The owners some how found out I was a wood turner and asked what is it I turn. Scratching my head "Uh" nothing particular at this time. I have been directed to see a person who has a spice shop and sells dry soups and baking goods. In talking to her this might just spark a fire under my tail to get rolling and do some bowls maybe some rolling pins or even some tooth pick holders. She thinks this will be an added item for her Christmas season sales. So maybe just maybe I'll get started up again. Wish me luck!

There is an old door craft/vendor show on a bridge nearby once per year. They shut down the bridge to vehicle traffic and line it with booths and food trucks etc. About a mile end to end. Last year there were two turners. I saw nice bowls for $50 to $100, and some nice boxes. but they were not selling anything. Vendors who were making things while people waited, seemed to be getting the business. One guy had nothing more than a stool and a fishing box full of tools and a large roll of silver colored wire. Folks were lined up to get the pins and nick nacks the guy was making. Folks around here tend to be tightwads, If you have something novel, or fadish, it will sell. Tree ornaments can with a little practice be turned out very quickly. and sold at a reasonable price. I made little snowman incense burners last year and sold quite a few. I made a copy of the Assateague light house for myself and now I have orders for three more. My problem is painting the work. The best I can do looks like the work of a 1st grader.

72- year old newbie here. I've always been a hobyist woodworker, made guitars, furniture, a canoe, etc. When I retired, my uncle gave me his old lathe, and I was hooked. I try to turn a little bit each day....averaging an "objet d'art" about every other day, or 150 pieces per year. Three years of "serious" turning and I get a little better each time I make shavings. What keeps me going are compliments from non-turners (they don't take a microscope to the finish) an occasional award at an "art show" and what little money I make from sales at shows and on-line. This hobby pays for itself. I'm way off the beaten track, so there's no club within a hundred miles, making my knowledge "self-inflicted". This site, and several others, are a wealth of information. I get to pick the brains of guys like Odie, Emiliano, Reed, and others. I feel the kindred spirit. Especially, the gallery on this site is a great source of inspiration. I look a the art and think "WOW ! could I do that?" Yes, I use carbide, but only for roughing, and when I'm turning stone inlay. I've finally got a handle on sharpening, and have learned to appreciate a razor-sharp gouge, and the burr on a scraper. I sand MUCH less now. Thanks to you all for the inspiration. Maybe I can do this until I can't hold a gouge.

Maybe I'm one of the odd balls out but I don't turn to sell. I have helped my elderly neighbor at craft fairs in the past two years and in exchange for helping he always lets me put a few items out in his large booth. I had no problem selling $200 weed pots (35" tall) or large wall pieces but I can't sell a bowl for the life of me, whether its $20, $40 or $60. Folks here don't want bowls. I'll admit that its nice if something sells, but that's not why I turn. One day that might change one day. I turn because I enjoy turning. I enjoy creating, I enjoy thinking outside the box. And I'm fine if I fail because I always learn something from the process. The reason I haven't gotten bored yet is because I just enjoy turning. If I were turning to sell then I would probably become frustrated and go find something else to do. Having walked various craft fairs and art shows I've learned that the market is saturated with turners trying to make money. Like someone mentioned above, you have to find a way to stick out from the crowd. For now I turn for enjoyment and for me, and to donate to charity auctions. Maybe when its time for me to think about selling I'll have found what it is that makes me stick out. I surely hope that if I decide to turn for money that I don't get disappointed and find something else to do.

Just more of my rambling.

I don't think it is a matter of sales. However sales sort of reflect what is of interest. How many wooden bowls can folks have sitting around their house. Many beginners make bowls, and when the Mrs. and relatives cry "Uncle" that they have enough bowls, then........? Most of what I made in college was bowls. I sold many back then, but the fad was to be natural and have natural objects. Now since I am back into turning, 3 years, I have made three bowls. One a year. This afternoon in about 2 hours I made a couple dozen tree ornaments. I donate many to my local Lions club and they sell them to raise money. For the time and materials involved, the ornaments beat the bowls in every way. They are used and unlike many things, folks are usually in a good mood when they handle them.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com

-----odie-----
When Bill Jones was asked how he got so good at woodturning he simply said: "why, I just stand in front of the lathe" And that's the point, I have seen beginners quit simply because they dont have the time to invest to get good at it. No matter how many lessons you take, if you can't practice you will never be able to excel.

Maybe I'm one of the odd balls out but I don't turn to sell. I have helped my elderly neighbor at craft fairs in the past two years and in exchange for helping he always lets me put a few items out in his large booth. I had no problem selling $200 weed pots (35" tall) or large wall pieces but I can't sell a bowl for the life of me, whether its $20, $40 or $60. Folks here don't want bowls. I'll admit that its nice if something sells, but that's not why I turn. One day that might change one day. I turn because I enjoy turning. I enjoy creating, I enjoy thinking outside the box. And I'm fine if I fail because I always learn something from the process. The reason I haven't gotten bored yet is because I just enjoy turning. If I were turning to sell then I would probably become frustrated and go find something else to do. Having walked various craft fairs and art shows I've learned that the market is saturated with turners trying to make money. Like someone mentioned above, you have to find a way to stick out from the crowd. For now I turn for enjoyment and for me, and to donate to charity auctions. Maybe when its time for me to think about selling I'll have found what it is that makes me stick out. I surely hope that if I decide to turn for money that I don't get disappointed and find something else to do.

Very close to my approach and activity. I don't turn to sell; luckily I don't have to. I turn for enjoyment, doing what interests me. One of my primary interests in turning is problem solving -- figuring out how to make something new then exploring what I can do with that process. Inspiration may come from a picture, experience, or random idea. When interest fades, I move on but often return later when a new idea revives interest. One benefit is that I have learned a wide range of techniques, which is often useful in trying something new. I enjoy exploring traditional turning, such as hoop/ring turning. I do various types of multiaxis turning, both spindle and more three dimensional forms. My spindle turning mostly involves creating lattice screens or three-dimensional structures, often incorporating thirty or more pieces. I do demos for regional clubs. I do enter pieces in shows and exhibits, sometimes with prices, sometimes not. For several years now I've enjoyed working as an assistant instructor in turning classes at the Campbell Folk School.

Was a turner for about 10 years, and with many hobbies, my interest was falling off somewhat. Just purchased a new bigger house, with many more possibilities to display my turnings, built a new beautifull workshop, with everything you could ask for, and with all of that I was still somewhat loosing interest. I had been to the convention in Minneaoplis earlier, and remembered how enthused I was after returning from there, so I signed up again, and have been to KC and Atlanta. They really help to keep the interest going. I had a very active club at my last location,and there is a wonderfull club at my new location, which helps, but unfortunatly everything I am involved with, meets on Wednesdays, so I probably only make it to the club about twice a year. What has really kept me going for now though, is a couple years back a new turner in the club was advised to ask me if I would help him learn to turn. While I had never taken that on before, I said yes and look forward to every time we are together. It's just been great for the both of us. So much so, that we have become friends, our wife's are friends, and we do many other things together. I'm really looking forward to fall to start turning again. Teaching and the AAW conventions, have really peaked my interest again. For those of you that are established turners, get involved with new turners, and don't be afraid of teaching, it's a win win for the both of you.

odie

TOTW Team
Maybe I'm one of the odd balls out but I don't turn to sell.

I don't think you are an "oddball" at all, Damon......o_O

It's my opinion that you are in the great majority of turners. :D

I'm one who does turn to sell.....and, that has been, and IS a great learning experience all in it's own category! I didn't always turn to sell, but I'll have to admit, that it's always been in the back of my mind. It's a great feeling to have complete strangers pull out their pocketbooks and give you a decent payment for your efforts. That is a completely different experience......of course, it's not the sole reason why I turn and never has been, but it's become a driving force in my turning. Learning what will sell, and what won't sell is something else entirely! ;)

-----odie-----

It's the mess! I've never been pushed to wanting to quit woodturning. Not even close. But some days my garage shop gets over 100 degrees and I could probably talk myself into turning if I could talk my wife into cleaning up after me. But surprisingly, that never happens. So I just find something else to do that day.

Seriously though, I've tried to help a few people get started in turning. They had nice tidy shops with everything in its place. I'd take a log or chunk of wood and start showing them how to mount it on their lathe, how to make shavings, use the tools they had with their new lathe. But when shavings started flying into every nook and cranny of their tidy shop I could see in their eyes that turning wasn't going to be for them. I've seen a lot of folks that just like to have all the stuff but never really want to get it dirty. You gotta either be dedicated to cleaning up a lot or able to accept the fact that things are going to be a little messy if you want to be a turner.
The other thing that I've noticed is that some people just have a hard time with sharpening tools. Everyone struggles a little at first with how to sharpen. But some just can't seem to make themselves stick their brand new shiny tools to a grinding wheel. It's like they're afraid they're going to ruin them. And if you don't sharpen them, turning just isn't fun, has poor results, and can make them just give up on it. Every new mini lathe should come with a sign on it that warns the beginner that dull tools are their #1 enemy and they can't spend enough money on fancy gadgets to overcome it.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I understand that you are trying to make the point that many folks don’t feel comfortable asking for help and get frustrated and stop turning, but I’ll add another perspective.

As a 3 year newbie, I can say that I started turning as a weekend hobby. I assume a large number are in the same boat. This hobby needs space, money, and time. Not something everyone has. And with time, you get bored and decide you want another hobby or go in a different direction.

I don’t find turning as exciting anymore, and if I did not invest so much into it, I would probably not miss it. I can turn so many bowls and hollow forms before it gets repetitive as a hobby.

Fadi,

In addition to the repetitive nature of the activity, my wife has run out of places to put the stuff.

So that is why I have changed my attitude. I now no longer try to finish a piece in a single setting (as must be done with wet wood turning).

I've moved into ornamental turning. It like segmented turning and other forms where the piece is started on the lathe and finished on the carving or wood burning desk offer significant opportunities to explore other art avenues.

In emails I've exchanged with Mark Baker of Woodturning and Wood Carving magazines. He said there is great interest in combining turning with carving. And this is something I've seen more of at the AAW symposia of he past.

So that is why I've signed up to demo ornamental turning at my club. I want to open up other thoughts. Maybe keep more people interested longer.

Kind regards,
Rich

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I realize I am very fortunate to have a mentor like Joe. Because of him, I have also come to believe that mentorship is a key factor in transforming newbie turners into life-long, woodturning advocates. I have watched a few new members stop coming to our meetings. I don’t know all the reasons but suspect that learning new skills without the help of someone like Joe could be part of it. My two cents of advice to club officers out there is to establish a mentoring program for newbies. I am guessing they will stick around longer, and learn to love the art and craft of woodturning, like I have.

The amateur radio community (HAM radio) has realized this also. That is why the ARRL pushes local clubs to mentor more.

Back