• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Padauk

I use a smock when turning most of the time. I do get shavings, dust, etc. into my socks. I find that vacuuming gets most of it out, and my socks don't get stained.

Seriously, I also wear a smock. Could the wood have been wet, spraying some color on you? Never have turned padauk but intrigued by the color and grain of the bowl. Again, my complements on the bowl. What is the finish?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I use to turn a lot of Padauk finials for Christmas ornaments.
Love the color changes of the wood from orange to red to dark red to almost black.
Always looks terrific as ornament finials during the color changes. Unlike other reds that turn soso browns.

I would wear a smock use a dust collector to collect sanding dust. The whole shop took on a reddish tint the weeks I would dedicate to ornaments.

Never had an issue with clothes. Normal wash cycle with the sturdy fabrics. No staining from the dust.
I should add I was turning dry wood 8% MC.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I have found a smock is a worthwhile investment. Keeps the wife much happier as there are far fewer wood chips in the laundry.

Rich

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
I agree that wearing a smock is the best defense. I've ruined some pairs of light colored pants when turning padauk. My mistake was to wipe my hands on my pants to get the dust off. Little did I know that the red dust would never wash out. I've started using redheart as an alternative to padauk. It doesn't seem to stain like padauk but still provides a vivid red color.

I suggest you try OxyClean. I hate infomercials, but yesterday I got blackberry juice on one of my wife’s dish towels. I applied the OxyClean Max Force gel, and the berry stain came right out. We use the OxyClean powder in the wash at home, and it seems to do good job on other stains.

Dust control is very essential for Padauk due to its propensity to induce allergies. Inhaled micro-particles can lead to sudden onset anaphylaxis and also seem to cross stimulate for rosewoods. That said, I agree with John's suggestion of scissors.:cool:

Back