• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Using an Ipad as a monitor for hollowing system

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have been asked by @randylarson how to use an Ipad as a monitor for a hollowing system. Since my set up is at least 2 years old, I do not want to give "old" advice. I would encourage anyone wanting to learn and know more about the use of technology in woodturning to join www.lucidwoodturners.com. But of course, here is an excellent place to ask, we will point you in the right direction. I'm curious to see if @AlanZ has a new way of using an iPad for the hollowing rig.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Several years ago, I used an iPad with a mirror over its lens as part of a hollowing rig. I did the same with an iPhone. It was trickier back then because the Camera Lucida app did not support moire Orin get back then. I have switched to a computer based system because of all the advantages, but I will be happy to revisit the iPad approach.

There are some endoscope and similar cameras on Amazon that support iOS, do you look for specific specs for the image not to be blurry and can be mounted far from the object and not close in a tight spot?

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Several years ago, I used an iPad with a mirror over its lens as part of a hollowing rig. I did the same with an iPhone. It was trickier back then because the Camera Lucida app did not support moire Orin get back then. I have switched to a computer based system because of all the advantages, but I will be happy to revisit the iPad approach.

What camera do you use?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Rich, I used the camera built into the ipad.

What an elegantly simple approach. I am guessing that the iPad is too heavy to move with the hollowing tool and that it stays fixed while the mirror moves with the cutter. If my interpretation is correct, is there any objectionable issue for the user dealing with size change of the displayed object?

At one time before realizing my folly I had considered removing the camera from my old iPad and having it tethered with a flex harness.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
What an elegantly simple approach. I am guessing that the iPad is too heavy to move with the hollowing tool and that it stays fixed while the mirror moves with the cutter. If my interpretation is correct, is there any objectionable issue for the user dealing with size change of the displayed object?

At one time before realizing my folly I had considered removing the camera from my old iPad and having it tethered with a flex harness.
Bill, I was using the camera on an iPad Mini or an iPhone mounted on the hollowing rig.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
And one can use an iphone’s camera and transmit to an iPad using the AirBeam app on both devices. Of course, the iPhone can also output, wired, to an hdmi monitor.

is there a camera, like one of the security cameras, that will send a video to the IPAD via an app or connect directly to the IPAD? I would like to mount a small camera on the hollowing rig and use the IPAD as the TV monitor. Just trying to keep from buying a TV and having a much bigger monitor to mount above the lathe. thanks to everyone for their input!

Grant; thank you for the info. are you using this for hollowing, focusing on the cutting tip and watching on the monitor? I read the specs and was concerned about the focus distance. how far is the camera from tool tip? thank you for your help.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
There are many cameras that can be viewed wirelessly via an app on the phone, for example, you can view security cameras from around the world if they make the stream public. However, the latency (delay in the image) would make them less than ideal for hollowing.

Randy: Yes, I am using this for hollowing. I have a small Transformer hollowing set up from JT Tools. I changed the tool rest and rigged up the camera holder. It works very well.

I can move the camera up and down. The hollow forms that I've used it on so far range from about 6" in diameter to about 10". I bring the camera down to within an inch or so of the vessel. So far, the camera seems to focus without any issue.

Back