• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need to extend my spindle thread/Harbor Freight Lathe

Hello again, I know it's been a while but I'm in failing health and it has led me to get some of my projects going on the lathe. One issue I'm having right now is getting my Longworth Chuck on the Harbor Freight lathe! I've got the 12"x33" Model #34706. The issue is the damn motor sits right in the way when you have something threaded to the shoulder of the spindle nose! It measures about 4-1/2" from the center of the spindle to the edge of the motor housing, that's a problem. I get away with most of my projects because I use the big faceplate that came with the lathe and it's long enough to just clear that housing.

I'm using my 3" diameter faceplate and it's way too short to get the longworth chuck to work, I can't even start the threads because it hits it right away. I've tried searching for long 3" faceplates but there's nothing out there long enough. My option was to make an adaptor out a piece of hard wood, not sure how strong and accurate that would be? So I was wondering if anyone has run into this problem with their lathe or if they know of any long adaptors that would work for this situation? The adaptor needs to be about 3-1/2" long or so.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully reply. Take care and have a great night, uh well morning. I never sleep so I lose track of the time very easily!

Warmest Regards,
Dylan

20190724_170222.jpg 20190724_170226.jpg 20190725_024345.jpg 20190725_024404.jpg 20190725_024526.jpg

Perhaps you could build up the area under the adaptor as you mention, making sure it is glued securely to the Longworth, also use screws for additional safety . Several layers of a good quality plywood such as "baltic plywood" glued together. I would not make an adaptor out of hardwood due to inaccuracy of the mount. Hope this helps.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Best Wood Tools has exactly what you need. From the menu on the left click on Woodturning Tools and Accessories and then scroll down the list until you see spindle extenders. They are three inches long. If that isn't long enough, give them a call and tell them what you need. I think that they still make custom parts. The only concern might be the precision of the registration shoulder on the Harbor Freight spindle being sufficiently accurate to allow that much extension without vibrating.

I'd use that as a sign you need a new lathe! If not that, take off the belt guard and put a much longer belt on the motor. That lathe is so light duty, extending the shaft and cantilevering the load further from the bearings will do it no good! Not to mention the chance of introducing more runout with more extension.

Perhaps you could build up the area under the adaptor as you mention, making sure it is glued securely to the Longworth, also use screws for additional safety . Several layers of a good quality plywood such as "baltic plywood" glued together. I would not make an adaptor out of hardwood due to inaccuracy of the mount. Hope this helps.
This is a good idea and probably the route I would take if Bill didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much for your reply my friend, always appreciated!

Best Wood Tools has exactly what you need. From the menu on the jeft click on Woodturning Tools and Accessories and then scroll down the list until you see spindle extenders. They are .three inches long. If that isn't long enough, give them a call and tell them what you need. I think that they still make custom parts. The only concern might be the precision of the registration shoulder on the Harbor Freight spindle being sufficiently accurate to allow that much extension without vibrating.
NICE Bill!!!! You da man! I looked everywhere online but It's all in the wording when searching for something on Google. This is perfect and will work exactly how I need it to. I'm ONLY using this to use my Longworth chuck to finish the bottoms of my bowls and boxes. Thank you very much for taking the time to not only reply to my thread, but taking the time to find exactly what I need! You are a good person and I appreciate everything you have done for me since I became a member. You have replied to just about all of my posts, if not all of them! I just wanted to express my gratitude to people who make this forum a great place to get information and share our craft. I see you replying to everyone and offering your expertise and wisdom, you should be very proud of that. One thing I have learned in my time on earth is to be good to people and give back whenever possible and it might seem insignificant to you, but you truly make a difference my friend.

My worst nightmare came true last week, my cancer has spread to my bones and I'm probably not pulling through this time around. I will know for certain next week whether it's treatable or not, but my oncologist gives it to me straight and he told me it doesn't look good this time. So I'm spending some time making some pieces that I can leave behind to my family and friends. The extender you found for me will make my efforts much quicker and easier to get them finished up. Thanks again Bill, for everything you do and did for me.

May you live long and healthy my friend!
Your friend,
Dylan

You could use a short round billet of aluminum as a spacer and drill holes on both sides to attach one side to the face plate and the other to your Longworth chuck. Aluminum is easy to machine, drill and tap. You would need to face both ends of the round billet to make sure it is square at both faces on the front and back. I have a number of aluminum billets in my metal shop that I could face both ends if you want to drill and tap it.

I'd use that as a sign you need a new lathe! If not that, take off the belt guard and put a much longer belt on the motor. That lathe is so light duty, extending the shaft and cantilevering the load further from the bearings will do it no good! Not to mention the chance of introducing more runout with more extension.
As I do appreciate all replies I was looking for a solution to get me out of a jamb so I can use the longworth chuck. I am well aware that I own a piece of crap for a lathe, there's a reason for that. That's all I can afford, is it said? Yes it is, but that's my reality. Have a nice night and thank you for your kindness and helpfulness. The internet is full of people like you! Take care Richard, and thank you very much for all of your constructive help. :cool:

Last edited:
Dylan,

You could also use a round billet of Delrin plastic to make a spacer with and use long screws to anchor the face plate and Longworth Chuck with. All you would need to do is drill a proper sized holes for the screws. You could also use a solid or laminated piece of wood turned on the lathe for a spacer. Delrin can be easily turned on a wood lathe with any type of lathe tool. The advantage of a polymer or metal spacer would be it will not change it's dimension with changes in humidity compared to a wood spacer. If you make a wood spacer make sure you give it a good coat of sealing finish to prevent moisture from absorbing into the wood.

You could use a short round billet of aluminum as a spacer and drill holes on both sides to attach one side to the face plate and the other to your Longworth chuck. Aluminum is easy to machine, drill and tap. You would need to face both ends of the round billet to make sure it is square at both faces on the front and back. I have a number of aluminum billets in my metal shop that I could face both ends if you want to drill and tap it.
That would be an awesome idea and thank you for offering to face the material for me! I do have tools and the means to drill & tap both sides as well. I would surely send you some money for the piece of aluminum and your time for facing it. I will save this as last resort though, I have an email out to the company that Bill Linked me to. I'm waiting for a couple of answers and might just buy the extender, The nice thing about the extender is some of that length will bill threaded onto my spindle nose, so it won't be a full 3" of over hang making it weak. It would actually be perfect, but it is a little pricey but if it is going to work as advertised than it will be worth the money. I really appreciate your offer and your great idea! This is why I come to this forum for help, it has always been a great place to get help and answers! Thanks again Mike, I will certainly get back to you as soon as I find out the info from that company!

Thanks Mike,
Dylan

Dylan,

You could also use a round billet of Delrin plastic to make a spacer with and use long screws to anchor the face plate and Longworth Chuck with. All you would need to do is drill a proper sized holes for the screws. You could also use a solid or laminated piece of wood turned on the lathe for a spacer. Delrin can be easily turned on a wood lathe with any type of lathe tool. The advantage of a polymer or metal spacer would be it will not change it's dimension with changes in humidity compared to a wood spacer. If you make a wood spacer make sure you give it a good coat of sealing finish to prevent moisture from absorbing into the wood.
I actually have a few pieces of black Delrin in my toolbox from my machinist days, I used them g=for making spacers and things at the shop. I never thought of using that. I'll have to check the diameter at this point and see if it's big enough? And I also have access to my old shop if I need any material, but I hate to ask and when I visit the shop it takes a long time to walk around and say hello to everyone! HAHA They are great people though, and I spent nearly 28 years there! I really appreciate your efforts and the great ideas Mike, as I stated in the last post, I will see how that other shop pans out for me and then I'll get back to you. I can't thank you enough for the offer to help me out, I appreciate that more than you know!

Thank you and good night, it's really late here on the East Coast, I don't sleep much these days!
Best regards Mike,
Dylan

You know what Richard, I was very rude to dismiss your post like it didn't make any sense at all! It actually did make, A LOT of sense but I guess I just didn't want to hear it at the time because money is so tight these days! But after many discussions with my wife we will find a way to make it work. I don't have a lot of time left and it's not like it's thousands of dollars to get something very reasonable and well priced! So I'm going to make the purchase and just enjoy myself Thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread and give the best advice you could at that time, I guess I get mad when I don't have the means to rectify the situation!

Many apologies my friend and I'll show you some pictures when it's installed! I'm 98% sure I'm going with the Laguna Revo 18[36 1.5HP 110V

Good morning everyone,

For the first time in over 4 years I felt happy waking up to what I think is going to be a very great day for me! First, it's a Friday and my Radiation therapy is 2:45 today (Its usually 5:30 PM) I get home early and we don't have weekend radiation, just Monday -Friday! I know I just started but it doesn't take long for the effects to really hit you. Enough anout that crap!

Today is the day I find my deal on my Laguna Revo 18[36 1.5HP 110V Wood Lathe. I think the only thing I would like to add would be maybe a work light? $150. seems a little steep for this, but I guess that's the cost. I would also like for the tail stock to move out of the way for me. I have a huge amount of Bone Cancer in my hip and pelvis area, so moving the tailstock out of the way and sliding the head forward would be a huge help to me!

That's about it, now I'm just trying to find a place to make the purchase and hopefully find a deal? I'm looking at Rockler right now, only because I live in Central Massachusetts and my laptop used location services and this Rockler is in Cambridge MA. If I could have some suggestions on maybe a good dealer, good price, reasonable options?

Thank you all, and I hope everyone has a happy healthy productive Friday!

Dylan

Before you drop 150 bucks on the light look at other magnetic light options.

For example:

https://www.rockler.com/grip-tools-flexible-dual-power-led-shop-light-with-magnetic-base-and-clamp

I bought several small LED lights from Ikea and glued magnets to the bottoms:

https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/jansjoe-led-wall-clamp-spotlight-black-80386319/

I would rather have 2 or 3 cheap lights from different directions than 1. But if you're in that price range Wood Turners Wonders has some other options.

As to the tail stock, I agree putting the tail stock on and off is a pain in the tail stock. Does Laguna have an option for a bed extension with a swing away? That's what I did with my lathe.

Last edited:
Back