• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grinder height

How does one determine the best height to mount an 8" grinder for sharpening turning tools? I'm mounting it on a cabinet with drawers and using the wolverine system.
thanks, Rob

I don’t think there is a guide since the height is what your comfortable with. Mine is about 36 inches high on a bench. I’m 6’2 so it’s fine for me.

The center line of my grinder wheels is 50" off the floor. Height for me is dependent on the pain in my back and use of bifocals. By the time I'm done with woodworking in my life, I suspect some things in my shop will be nearly 5' off the floor. Either that or I will need it at eye level while sitting! LOL

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
The same as you lathe spindle. The movements are very similar to turning. If you are right-handed, the main wheel should be on the left, and the grinder in a place that you can stand at the left end-not in front.

John

Measure from your elbow to the floor will be comfortable height. About 46 inches for the average person From the floor to the center of the grinder shaft.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
My grinder height is what it is, because I purchased a very sturdy commercial stand to put it on.....This stand is also bolted to the cement floor. The lathe spindle on my (non-adjustable) Woodfast lathe is about 44", and the spindle on my grinder is about 43" from the floor. This works pretty well for me, as I'm about 5'7" these days! (I've shrunk from my youthful 5'9" :eek:) At this height I can get my eyes close enough to see the grind clearly, as it is being ground.

-----odie-----
IMG_4123.JPG

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
My suggestion is whatever height doesn’t require you to bend over to watch the grinding process. I consider most grinders to be mounted way too low. Also, don’t forget personal protection equipment while grinding. Protect your eyes and lungs from nasty flying sparks, and metal/abrasive dust.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I like my grinder the same height as my spindle for the same reason John mentions. I'm often using my body to grind my tools just I like I do when I turn so it feels very natural and comfortable. Odie. I shrank also but so far only an inch. My family on my mothers side (and I take after that side) is know for shrinking as they get into their 80's. My mother is 87 and starting to get really tiny. So I guess I'll have to get a lathe that adjusts down as I get older.

I like my grinder the same height as my spindle for the same reason John mentions. I'm often using my body to grind my tools just I like I do when I turn so it feels very natural and comfortable. Odie. I shrank also but so far only an inch. My family on my mothers side (and I take after that side) is know for shrinking as they get into their 80's. My mother is 87 and starting to get really tiny. So I guess I'll have to get a lathe that adjusts down as I get older.

John you might have to turn on a micro lathe:D

Back