• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Articulating Arm Hollowing System

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
While not articulated It’s hard to beat the simplicity of the jamieson or the sinner systems.

I have the Simon hope system. Easy to use. Adjust to just about and lathe.
Takes bars by Bosch, Stewart, and Savoy that I use with the jamieson also.

I have also used the Bosch stabilize which is easy to set up and use.

I prefer working closer to the form holding the bar as I hollow. The Hope and Jamieson let me do this.

With 3/4” bars most people can go 9”-10” deep
With 1.5” diameter bars most people can go 12-14” deep

Made my own, along with my own camera system. I reamed out the threads on the vertical section of the Ts and used 3/4" cold rolled bars with a coat of grease for the pivots. Also used UHMW washers for the thrust washers between the Ts. Not easy keeping all that pipe thread in the same plane before brazing the joints. If I had to buy one, I'd get the Trent Bosch. I pretty much retired my Jamieson when I made this one. I much prefer the ability to really get under the rim and not having to relocate the Jamieson support.

Attachments

• hollowingrig.jpg
    hollowingrig.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 91
I have the Elbo system and like it. It can be used on any lathe with tailstock. It is set for 3/4 bar but using adapters can use any bar. Also one of the most reasonable systems out ther starting at 269.
http://wtwtim.com/elbo.htm
Looks like there could be a fair big of play in those articulating joints. Do you ever get catches in cross grain hollowing?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Pssst .... before the word gets out ... if you're quick, there is a Monster hollowing rig for sale over in the marketplace section of the forum. I believe that the ad said that it has never been used.

While not articulated It’s hard to beat the simplicity of the jamieson or the sinner systems.

I have the Steve Sinner boring bar system and really like it. The Sinner system is especially suited for tall hollowforms.

I have multiple systems and since the Monster is no longer made (as stated there is a Monster for sale in the want ads on this site) I now recommend the Elbo Tool. By far and away the easiest system to set up and not leave that little bump in the bottom. Now improved since taken over by Tim Yoder. Now has an available laser.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Looks like there could be a fair big of play in those articulating joints. Do you ever get catches in cross grain hollowing
I hollow through the face grain most of the time.

With a property set up jamieson, Sinner, Bosch, hope and probably all the others you cannot get a catch. You need to be mindful that nothing comes out of adjustment. They all will come out of adjustment at some point if you use them often enough. Not often but you have to notice.
Holding the bar I will feel it right away.

Still need to obey the laws of physics and cutting.

Setting the cut below center or angling the cutter upwards are recipes for catches.

Not clearing the shavings can create other problems letting a ball of shavings lift the tool maybe slamming it down on your pinky or causing havoc on the thin rim of the vessel.

You also need to clear wood away from where you are cutting. You can trap the cutter in a tunnel where it’s only way out is through the side wall - not a catch but - but no joy in turnerville.

Last edited:
@Guy Mueller, your answer to this question is going to depend a great deal on the type of hollow forms you will make and the type of tools (and tool rest) you will use, so keep this in mind when evaluating the advice you get.

Since you specifically asked about articulated arm rigs I suggest you look at
the Simple Hollowing System from Harrison Specialties, which is what I use. Here is a link.
https://www.harrisonspecialties.com/simple-hollowing-system-with-laser-optional-tools/

This is the best rig for me and what and how I turn. It might not serve any purpose for you. My hollow forms are shallow with wide mouths and a lot of work is done on the side walls and under what might be called the "rim", so the maneuverability of an articulted arm is paramount to me. I primarily use scraping tools and I have a couple of tool rests that can reach into the opening to extend the tool support.

http://www.turnrobust.com/?s=Box+rest

https://hannestool.com/products-overview/tool-rest/

The SHS is not a system I would reach for if I wanted to make a 24" deep vase.

There were a one time Monster and Kobra rigs, but I don't believe either is still in manufacture. The Elbow system is an excellent rig. The major differences I see between the Elbow and the SHS are:

The Elbow mounts to the tail stock while the SHS mounts to the ways. It is possible to use the SHS and tail stock simultaneously which occaisionally can be of use. There are generally more options for mounting.

If I recall the Elbow has a longer third segment as compare to the SHS. I think it is a little less maneuverable than the SHS.

The elbow mounts large shaft diameter tools. The SHS is set for 1/2" tangs, but has an optional 5/8" tool holder (I have both).

Looks like there could be a fair big of play in those articulating joints. Do you ever get catches in cross grain hollowing?
With more joints, it's like having a wrist and an elbow. Not just the elbow. I don't know of any way to get a catch with a 3/16" HSS scraping cutter that's held in a bar. My system is not perfect, it can get a little vibration in it. That Rube Goldberg design was inspired by the Kobra and has the same number of links. This was really my proof of concept, but the darned thing worked so well I just kept using it. I've gone as deep as 11" with it.

I was wondering about that Cobra system. Seemed like they dropped off the map for a while. I know there were some 'complications' after they started up, and they never seemed to get back up...

robo hippy

I was wondering about that Cobra system. Seemed like they dropped off the map for a while. I know there were some 'complications' after they started up, and they never seemed to get back up...

robo hippy
I talked to those guys a couple of times at Indyfest gatherings. Just two retired, or semi-retired guys in a shop. They were enthusiastic about the development of the tool, but tried to sell the rights to production pretty quickly. No takers, but they would do a few at a time to recoup some development cost, and were happy with that for a while. Didn't feel like either of them really wanted to make it a business. It was a dead tight tool, with wonderful bearings and thrust bearings. Smooth as glass.

@Guy Mueller, your answer to this question is going to depend a great deal on the type of hollow forms you will make and the type of tools (and tool rest) you will use, so keep this in mind when evaluating the advice you get.

Since you specifically asked about articulated arm rigs I suggest you look at
the Simple Hollowing System from Harrison Specialties, which is what I use. Here is a link.
https://www.harrisonspecialties.com/simple-hollowing-system-with-laser-optional-tools/

This is the best rig for me and what and how I turn. It might not serve any purpose for you. My hollow forms are shallow with wide mouths and a lot of work is done on the side walls and under what might be called the "rim", so the maneuverability of an articulted arm is paramount to me. I primarily use scraping tools and I have a couple of tool rests that can reach into the opening to extend the tool support.

http://www.turnrobust.com/?s=Box+rest

https://hannestool.com/products-overview/tool-rest/

The SHS is not a system I would reach for if I wanted to make a 24" deep vase.

There were a one time Monster and Kobra rigs, but I don't believe either is still in manufacture. The Elbow system is an excellent rig. The major differences I see between the Elbow and the SHS are:

The Elbow mounts to the tail stock while the SHS mounts to the ways. It is possible to use the SHS and tail stock simultaneously which occaisionally can be of use. There are generally more options for mounting.

If I recall the Elbow has a longer third segment as compare to the SHS. I think it is a little less maneuverable than the SHS.

The elbow mounts large shaft diameter tools. The SHS is set for 1/2" tangs, but has an optional 5/8" tool holder (I have both).
What is the tallest vessel you done with the SHS

Well all of my hollowing has been "short". Kerry Harrison has some videos at his site and I recall that he discussed how deep you could go. They might be worth a watch.

But if your interest is deep vase like pieces then I would think a captured boring bar system would be more likely to fit the bill.

What kind of hollowing projects do you look forward to?

I guess u could always aspire to vessel I saw @ Tampa symposium in 2014???? Not sure on year.....it was taller than she

I have had the Harrison Simple Hollowing System for about 3 years now ... really happy with the quality and performance of the tool. The deepest I have gone was a little over 9 inches. I adapted a laser (from Ron Brown) to fit the Harrison SHS, and cobbled up a TV camera/LCD monitor. I have used it with both the carbide tools from Harrison and John Jordan's HSS hollowing tools.

I call it the Katrina question. If my shop were wiped away by something like Katrina what would I replace? My Simple Hollowing System is definitely on the list of Replace Imediately No Debate items.

Back