• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW Membership numbers

Does anyone here know the approximate membership numbers of the AAW. For example, my member number is in the upper 30 thousands......I became a member in 2009, so undoubtedly the number now exceeds 50, maybe 60 thousand? I would just like to see approximate numbers if anyone knows. Thanks!

You might want to narrow your question down a little. They would have total number of memberships sold over the life of the organization, free memberships, active membership......etc.

Thanks Richard, good suggestion.........I'm thinking total membership......say to and estimate within a couple thousand. Hope you're doing well. Are you going to the big show in Raleigh? I was planning to, but plans got sidetracked with wife's surgery, and mother in law's health issues. Maybe next year, as I heard it will be in Louisville,Kentucky.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
I am guessing that numbers are issued as people join. If a membership is not renewed, that number doesn’t get recycled back into the pool, because the member may renew at some future point. It’s probably less hassle to keep the numbers reserved for the initial membership/individual. That’s how one of my turning club’s treats membership numbers.

As my membership number is in the 50,000,000 range, I'm guessing that a straight additive numerical system is no longer used. Probably other info is now coded into the membership number.

If you are a member, all you have to do is log in and look at the minutes of the executive meetings. Membership numbers are often quoted.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Yep I am logged in at the mail AAW site and there is nothing on Executive Committee on the site and search yields NO hits.

I got my personal data as follows: After logging into Woodturner.org, I was on the Home Page. I scanned down until the following heading appeared on the right: My Profile. Under it was: Profile Home. Clicking on the latter brought me to a page that has my personal data, including membership number.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The numbering system changed several years ago to an eight digit system if I am not mistaken. I don't know if the the numbers are blocked off for different types of memberships, but I suspect that might be the case. When I am vetting new forum memberships the numbers seem to not be sequential.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I constantly run into turners who dont know about the AAW and are not interested and also dont belong to a club. We push it at the club meetings but still less than half or even 1/4 are members.

I constantly run into turners who dont know about the AAW and are not interested and also dont belong to a club. We push it at the club meetings but still less than half or even 1/4 are members.

Our local club (BayLake Woodturners) is a 'Star Chapter', so to belong to our group members have to be current on their membership with AAW. Our chapter started in 2011 ... currently at 65+ members. I joined AAW in 2011, member #47215.

The younger generations tend to be more active with online computer or smart phone meetings allowing a person to attend at any time no matter their location. With the trend in long distance learning it would be easy enough for clubs to offer remote access by club members that want to attend by smart phone or computer remotely. A large number of younger woodturners usually search YouTube for basic woodturning skills and methods for turning various projects. Depending on where you live and how far away a club meeting location is, it can be a challenge and a pain to travel these distances if you live in a heavy populated region of the country. Many of the younger engineers I work with today use remote access to attend college classes. Most computers and smart phones have remote video conferencing apps loaded on them it would be very easy to setup a remote meeting session when a woodturning club has a monthly meeting, all you need is a phone connection, computer and video camera.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com

a few clubs in our area are 100% AAW Membership. However most are as you describe 60%-25% range.
For a few individuals AAW membership cost is an issue.

But for most woodturning is the issue - they just don’t want to invest any time or effort into be becoming a better woodturner. These folks rarely if ever give a demo. Some will brag about not being able to hold a club office.

They are having a good time attending chapter meetings and making whatever they make. They just have no interest in doing better turnings. While it is hard for me to understand why anyone would not want to improve theirs skills. I have come to accept there are quite a few.

AAW has nothing to offer those not interested I learning more about woodturning.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well said Al. One of my clubs is very much like that. I dont think many of them.even turn. They just want to be entertained.

The younger generations tend to be more active with online computer or smart phone meetings allowing a person to attend at any time no matter their location. With the trend in long distance learning it would be easy enough for clubs to offer remote access by club members that want to attend by smart phone or computer remotely. A large number of younger woodturners usually search YouTube for basic woodturning skills and methods for turning various projects. Depending on where you live and how far away a club meeting location is, it can be a challenge and a pain to travel these distances if you live in a heavy populated region of the country. Many of the younger engineers I work with today use remote access to attend college classes. Most computers and smart phones have remote video conferencing apps loaded on them it would be very easy to setup a remote meeting session when a woodturning club has a monthly meeting, all you need is a phone connection, computer and video camera.

Mike I will have to say you have no concept in how much it takes to do a turning video, either club or Youtube. It takes a program to edit the video and sound connection and to be good more than one but preferably three cameras. Now I am not saying I disagree with you and there is a club in Arkansas that does that. I would like to but to limit access to paid members only and there is maybe a rub. Lots of the young turners with families and jobs do not seem to even have time for videos much less club meetings.

Now as to Al's supposition on AAW membership I will agree fully but of the 58 members of our club we have 34 AAW members makes us at 58%. And no one has taken advantage of the test 6 months free membership. So just go figure.

@hockenbery To add to your question on improving turning capabilities. We have many members who have never brought in a turning for show n tell so the officers have wondered do they not turn ? Also may have two members who do not own a lathe.

It's like golf. Plenty of people are just happy to go out and play, without improving, they're content to be where they are. If that makes them happy I don't see an issue with that. Some turners I know only get to turn one or twice a month.

Plenty of people won't bring in an item for show and tell, it's most likely a confidence thing where they're worried about criticism, or they don't think it's good enough.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
It's like golf. Plenty of people are just happy to go out and play, without improving, they're content to be where they are. If that makes them happy I don't see an issue with that. Some turners I know only get to turn one or twice a month.

That’s the point. It is also why they they have no interest in joining AAW.

I had Two students in a Campbell class who only turned at Campbell for a week once a year.
They were having fun too.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Everyone approaches turning from.a different attitude and different reasons. The Folkschool is a unique place and people often take classes with no intention of ever taking up that hobby or skill. I suppose that's fine but as an instructor it takes time away from students who really want to learn. Very frustrating for me. As far as clubs go it's not a big deal and they are usually fun people.

Mike I will have to say you have no concept in how much it takes to do a turning video, either club or Youtube. It takes a program to edit the video and sound connection and to be good more than one but preferably three cameras. Now I am not saying I disagree with you and there is a club in Arkansas that does that. I would like to but to limit access to paid members only and there is maybe a rub. Lots of the young turners with families and jobs do not seem to even have time for videos much less club meetings.

Now as to Al's supposition on AAW membership I will agree fully but of the 58 members of our club we have 34 AAW members makes us at 58%. And no one has taken advantage of the test 6 months free membership. So just go figure.

@hockenbery To add to your question on improving turning capabilities. We have many members who have never brought in a turning for show n tell so the officers have wondered do they not turn ? Also may have two members who do not own a lathe.

Gerald,

I did not say anything about producing and editing a video, a typical woodturning club will have a large screen monitor to allow members to watch the demonstration and club activity from the back of the room. The large screen monitor usually displays video from a camera that is directed at the lathe or the person presenting the weekly, monthly demonstration or club activity. If I am sitting in the back of the room observing the large screen monitor at the woodturning club in person, or watching the same content on a smart phone or computer in a remote location what difference does it make? If you are using a video camera to display on a local monitor you can also use the same signal to send out via a video conference call.

A club can also set up a live stream on YouTube and make it a private video/channel so that only club members have access. This option allows remote attendees to text messages and questions to the presenter during the meeting. Other remote attendees can see the comments and questions being asked by the others remotely which increases the participation by the remote attendees. This would also archive each meeting in a video format and save it to a private channel on YouTube. This would not be a professionally produced and edited video but a video recording the monthly meeting that people could view while the meeting is taking place. If you have ever sat in a large club meeting in the last row of chairs, a remote access video feed would be better then looking at the back of old Joe's head.

Another suggestion for any clubs locating to a new location, there are a number of Maker Clubs across the country that have grown over the years and these facilities attract a wide variety of members which attract younger members with the diverse technologies they offer in these facilities. This would be a good location to hold woodturning club meetings and attract new members at the same time.

Gerald,

I did not say anything about producing and editing a video, a typical woodturning club will have a large screen monitor to allow members to watch the demonstration and club activity from the back of the room. The large screen monitor usually displays video from a camera that is directed at the lathe or the person presenting the weekly, monthly demonstration or club activity. If I am sitting in the back of the room observing the large screen monitor at the woodturning club in person, or watching the same content on a smart phone or computer in a remote location what difference does it make? If you are using a video camera to display on a local monitor you can also use the same signal to send out via a video conference call.

A club can also set up a live stream on YouTube and make it a private video/channel so that only club members have access. This option allows remote attendees to text messages and questions to the presenter during the meeting. Other remote attendees can see the comments and questions being asked by the others remotely which increases the participation by the remote attendees. This would also archive each meeting in a video format and save it to a private channel on YouTube. This would not be a professionally produced and edited video but a video recording the monthly meeting that people could view while the meeting is taking place. If you have ever sat in a large club meeting in the last row of chairs, a remote access video feed would be better then looking at the back of old Joe's head.

Another suggestion for any clubs locating to a new location, there are a number of Maker Clubs across the country that have grown over the years and these facilities attract a wide variety of members which attract younger members with the diverse technologies they offer in these facilities. This would be a good location to hold woodturning club meetings and attract new members at the same time.

Mike I am not saying it is not possible. I am saying that to do this :
1. You would be adding duties to someone or need another person to do it. Most clubs have enough problems just getting officers much less volunteers to do this work, but can be done "if" you have the people.
2. You would need internet access. Lots of clubs do not, such as our club.
3. Who would sit for 3-4 hours (our meetings last longer) to watch?

To sum it up how to justify the extra time by volunteers for a long video feed for ?? how many members benefit?? Also my thought is that some would watch this and not come to meetings and share what they are doing. Also I do see this of value to younger members with lots going on and no time to make meeting.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
A club can also set up a live stream on YouTube

o sum it up how to justify the extra time by volunteers for a long video feed for
. If you have a benevolent host for you meetings it’s easy.

The Sarasota club has live video on YouTube of their Demos. The YouTube is run by their host Advantage lumber.
The store puts their name on it for a little advertising.

Search YouTube for. “Advantage lumber woodturning”. You get pages of mostly club demos
Here is a screen shot of the first page.

C462F018-30F0-4169-BF61-DECDB39773A3.png

Last edited:
. If you have a benevolent host for you meetings it’s easy.

The Sarasota club has live video on YouTube of their Demos. The YouTube is run by their host Advantage lumber.
The store puts their name on it for a little advertising.

Search YouTube for. “Advantage lumber woodturning”. You get pages of mostly club demos
Here is a screen shot of the first page.

View attachment 29752

Al I think y'all are looking at larger clubs. I know of six clubs within 200 miles of here and NONE of them are even close to having the technical capabilities our club has . Now it is not a matter of a benevolent host when you meet and store for free and are in a historic building with no chance of adding any kind of wireing. Now hot spots are a possibilities but that is more expense. So I am looking at Youtube but probably not soon and not too concerned as our club has added 11 new members this year and for us that is landmark. I may be closer to the real picture of overall average clubs in rural America as I see it.

Member #21197. I think I joined in 2002, or 2003, and let my membership lapse in 2004. Just renewed this year and was given my old number. So as someone said above, they don’t recycle numbers; I’d imagine for the oddball like me who rejoins at some future date.

Back