• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dust Concerns

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
In GIMP under View there are options to flip and rotate the image, but as far as I can tell that is only for viewing. It doesn't actually change the orientation information that exists in the metadata. But if you click on the Image drop down menu and then click on Transform you will find the rotation options that do get saved in metadata.

@Doug Freeman That idea opens up a few opportunities for what I'm considering. I was back and forth about rather to stay small on a first lathe or move up to a longer bed. Seeing this inclines me to believe I could go ahead and spring for the larger lathe and still be able to move it about easily.

There are numerous configurations of both the 3M Versaflo series and the Sundstrom respirators so you would need to know what specific configurations of each to compare. The SR500 is only the part worn on the waist that contains the fan, filters, and battery. You might want to consider the SR700 instead which is for particles only and probably costs less although the SR700 has lower air flow. There are numerous options for the headgear and the SR540 headgear is somewhat comparable to the Versaflo units except that it is not a full helmet and lacks side protection unlike the Versaflo that I have.

The SR500 blower has two speeds ... Standard delivers up to 6.2 CFM and Maximum delivers up to 8.5 CFM. My Versaflo helmet is being used with a BreatheEasy turbo unit and when used together is rated at a minimum of 10 CFM. The BreatheEasy turbo unit is bulky compared to other options, but it can be used with a number of different filters whereas the Versaflo blower unit is for HEPA particulate filters only.

The Australian certification standards are different from US standards so it would be impossible to say how the impact and filtration test results line up against each other, but I assume they are reasonably close.

I was able to put my system together for a fraction of the retail price by perusing eBay and everything was new. Here is a long thread about the Versaflo M-407 and the BreatheEasy turbo unit that would be worth reading if you are thinking about the Versaflo. The only reason that I bought the M-407 was the great price ... otherwise the M-200 series or M-300 series would be my choice.

Any information on the Cleanspace2 air filtration system? Looks like viable alternative to both the Sundstrom and Versaflo - especially cost wise.

Interesting product. You would still need to add eye protection and a face shield.
Being that it covers the bridge of the nose it's going to interfere with how safety glasses or prescription eye glasses sit on your nose which may or may not be a problem for you.

Back