• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cordless chainsaws

Last edited:

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Dave and I own 4 Stihl gas chain saws. About 6 months ago, we acquired a Milwaukee battery chain saw. It has a 16" bar. The power and torque is so good, that none of the gas chain saws have been used since. If we're cutting really large, the gas saws are a better choice, but for the bulk of our work, the battery saw will do the job.

Are they significantly quieter than the gas ones? I have a gas chainsaw but I feel that I am disturbing my neighbors when I use it.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I feel the same way about the hassle of a chain saw and have both. I went "cheap" on the battery one and it's not great but good, especially for just stepping onto the back porch and doing a bit of work on a piece or two. It's quieter for sure. I got this on Amazon:

Greenworks 12-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw, 2.0 AH Battery Included 20262

Whatever tool you get, a couple of things: you still have to oil the chain, and get at least one extra battery.

I agree with Donna about the Milwaukee tools. If I had the extra cash at the time, I'd have gone with the Milwaukee Fuel M18 series. Those are excellent tools and I own several drills, drivers, multi-tool, circ saw and jig saw. I finally got rid of an old set of Dewalt 18v in favor of the Milwaukee.

But for a reasonable "test drive" price, the Greenworks has been surprisingly good and I haven't felt a real need to upgrade... Yet :-D

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
One other thing: I read that Popular mechanics link you posted. The market has changed a lot in the 2 years since I bought my saw. Echo tools perform well and I had their cordless string trimmer. Tons of power, torque, and long-lasting. But I prefer having the ability to use batteries in multiple tools. Echo batteries are, in my opinion, pretty pricey per amp/hour. On the other hand, I donated that tool to my friends at the Salvation Army store and they've been using it for nearly 4 years on the same battery.

I use a corded electric chainsaw in the shop - 16” craftsman. Quite a bit slower than my gas saw, but thats ok, its used for trimming corners and cutting smaller logs. Never tried a cordless, but I think I would need lots of batteries to get me through a typical gas saw session. Just dont see a cordless replacing a gas saw for “harvesting day” type work. Actually not much more maintenance for gas powered.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I use a corded electric chainsaw in the shop - 16” craftsman. Quite a bit slower than my gas saw, but thats ok, its used for trimming corners and cutting smaller logs. Never tried a cordless, but I think I would need lots of batteries to get me through a typical gas saw session. Just dont see a cordless replacing a gas saw for “harvesting day” type work. Actually not much more maintenance for gas powered.

You do have a point Doug, about the power and so on. For me it's not so much maintenance of gas, but the fact that every. single. time. I want to use one it's a huge hassle to get it started. Some have this "anti-knack" with 2-stroke engines and I think I'm one.

:)

It's been a long time since I had a small two stroke in my garden shed, but my track record with them is not encouraging. If I had a chainsaw I'm estimating that I would use it maybe 3 times a year, and that's just not often enough to maintain a gas motor. On the other hand my experience with battery powered tools these last ten years has been great. Lithium batteries hold their charge for months if not a year or more and charge quickly.

I certainly would not expect a cordless saw to out perform a gas saw and maybe not even a corded saw, but I get the impression from the responses I've seen (and I've posted on a couple of other forums, as well) that a cordless saw may perform well enough. I'm particularly interested in the 80 volt Kobalt with an 18 inch bar. It seems like it should be able to cut up something.

The issue of commonality of batteries has also been raised. Many years ago I picked up a 12 volt Milwaukee drill which I love, and that was followed by other 12 volt Milwaukee tools because I already had the battery. But even if Milwaukee made a 12 volt chainsaw I would never buy a tool that big running on voltage that low. On the other hand, the Kobalt is 80 volts which is a platform that makes no sense for hand tools. Can you imagine an 80 volt drill? And I don't see myself ever wanting a cordless compound miter saw or table saw, which Kobalt doesn't offer. They do make a hedge trimmer, but I think that is an unlikely purchase for me, so the Kobalt and it's battery would probably only be a one off buy for me anyway.

Now there is the cost. $300 bucks is a lot to pay for free wood.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
It's been a long time since I had a small two stroke in my garden shed, but my track record with them is not encouraging. If I had a chainsaw I'm estimating that I would use it maybe 3 times a year, and that's just not often enough to maintain a gas motor. On the other hand my experience with battery powered tools these last ten years has been great. Lithium batteries hold their charge for months if not a year or more and charge quickly.

I certainly would not expect a cordless saw to out perform a gas saw and maybe not even a corded saw, but I get the impression from the responses I've seen (and I've posted on a couple of other forums, as well) that a cordless saw may perform well enough. I'm particularly interested in the 80 volt Kobalt with an 18 inch bar. It seems like it should be able to cut up something.

The issue of commonality of batteries has also been raised. Many years ago I picked up a 12 volt Milwaukee drill which I love, and that was followed by other 12 volt Milwaukee tools because I already had the battery. But even if Milwaukee made a 12 volt chainsaw I would never buy a tool that big running on voltage that low. On the other hand, the Kobalt is 80 volts which is a platform that makes no sense for hand tools. Can you imagine an 80 volt drill? And I don't see myself ever wanting a cordless compound miter saw or table saw, which Kobalt doesn't offer. They do make a hedge trimmer, but I think that is an unlikely purchase for me, so the Kobalt and it's battery would probably only be a one off buy for me anyway.

Now there is the cost. $300 bucks is a lot to pay for free wood.

80 volt drill... hmmmm, sounds like a Tim the tool guy tool.

Actually, I have a bunch of AAA rechargeables. Maybe I could turn build them into a Tesla? :rolleyes:

Mark, I just noticed your location. I spent a number of years (a long time ago) in Glen Ellyn, Carol Stream and then Naperville.

I have a gas chainsaw for processing larger pieces and I have an Echo cordless chainsaw for smaller pieces or when I just have a few cuts. The battery lasts a long time and it has excellent torque and cutting power. I've used it on rounds up to 16" in diameter and have been very pleased with it. At some point I'll get a second battery for it but the one right now lasts as long as I need it to.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Yes, we've spent a number of years here, too. Now it's someone else's turn. I want to move to the equator. I never want to see another snow flake again and I don't want a time change :p.

Well, Mark, if your interested in what can be done with batteries you'll want to watch this:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/new-mercedes/3021121

I'll trade places Mark. Right now it's a "cool" 83 F (or maybe it is Celsius) and humidity is pushing 70%. But not to worry, tomorrow will be hotter. I've been to Phoenix many times and prefer it. Yes, it's like walking around in a blast furnace at times, but here the heat sticks to you like napalm.

(in the light of day, I realized part of this post was inappropriate and therefore deleted. Apologies to anyone I offended).

Last edited:

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I have a gas chainsaw for processing larger pieces and I have an Echo cordless chainsaw for smaller pieces or when I just have a few cuts. The battery lasts a long time and it has excellent torque and cutting power. I've used it on rounds up to 16" in diameter and have been very pleased with it. At some point I'll get a second battery for it but the one right now lasts as long as I need it to.

Damon, that Echo in the Protoolreviews site Clifton posted was the pretty clear winner too.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Surprisingly quiet. But in deference to our neighbors, we still refrain from firing up anything until 9 am.

Donna, how's the overall battery life of your Milwaukee? I'm impressed with that review that Clifton posted a link to, but am really loving all my other Milwaukee tools. Is an M18 Fuel?

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
My shed is a graveyard for old tools with dead batteries. Well, I did clean up, disposed of the batteries the right way. My point is, in a few years they won't have the battery available or the charger. I bought a power converter that plugs into my truck power outlet, like a lighter outlet, so take an extension cord and use my corded electric chainsaw. Of course, I prefer to use any of my 5 gas powered ones....

Gas, corded and cordless all have pro's and con's. But what I'm seeing is that cordless chainsaws can be capable machines, but are not up there with the big boy gas models.

For me I think cordless power would make the most sense, battery power limitations and obsolescence risks understood. But they may not be burly enough for what I want to do. If I want to harvest a 4x8x8 turning block of say walnut, the heartwood is going to have to be at least 12" in diameter. Which means the tree will need to be 20" to 24". I'm getting the impression that's a bit much to expect.

Last edited:
I use a gas Stihl. What I did find out about the little gas engines is ethanol is not your friend. I had another smaller saw that the ethanol fuel dissolved the fuel lines, I replaced the lines and gave the saw away. I found the local stations selling non ethanol fuel and thats all I run in my small engines now.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
A friend recently said that the new cordless Husky is every bit as good as the Stihl, at a significant price savings.

The main concern is that you just don't have much power with an electric saw. Especially for ripping, which requires extra horsepower.

In the shop I run a Stihl MSE250C—the largest corded electric saw on the market to my knowledge— and it has just enough power to rip 16" rounds in the shop, albeit kind of slow. For all processing in the field I use gas powered saws.

60ccs is about the smallest saw I would run for bowl blank processing. In the Stihl world, that's the 360 line and up.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Donna, how's the overall battery life of your Milwaukee? I'm impressed with that review that Clifton posted a link to, but am really loving all my other Milwaukee tools. Is an M18 Fuel?
We have more than one Milwaukee tool that uses the same battery, so we have a few to swap when needed. Dave will get several hours use before having to swap a battery, depending on the wood being cut.

Dave and I use it primarily for cutting fire wood, my sawmilled slabs into bowl blanks, and tree-trimming. Anything larger, 18" and larger diameter logs, we're using the gas powered Stihls. But as we've gotten older, we're trying to work smarter. We no longer take 'offers of free wood' when in reality it's just a way for someone to get their yard debris cleaned for free. I now gladly pay for grapple loads of logs delivered to my back yard, and dropped in front of the sawmill.

I've used and owned Makita cordless tools since they first came out. I now own several 18v Makita tools. I bought a Makita xcu03z because it uses 2 of the 18v batteries I already own, giving it 36v.
It's quiet and the batteries last about as long as my back, which is good, since I usually can't figure out it's time to stand up straight until it's to late.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
We have more than one Milwaukee tool that uses the same battery, so we have a few to swap when needed. Dave will get several hours use before having to swap a battery, depending on the wood being cut.

Dave and I use it primarily for cutting fire wood, my sawmilled slabs into bowl blanks, and tree-trimming. Anything larger, 18" and larger diameter logs, we're using the gas powered Stihls. But as we've gotten older, we're trying to work smarter. We no longer take 'offers of free wood' when in reality it's just a way for someone to get their yard debris cleaned for free. I now gladly pay for grapple loads of logs delivered to my back yard, and dropped in front of the sawmill.

Ah yes, "free wood"... I don't know who said "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch" but they knew what they were talking about.

If you're using your cordless for diameters up to 18" then I think adding a Milwaukee is my next tool acquisition. I've several batteries and, like Charlie said here, they'll last as long as my back!

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
I have a Stihl electric chainsaw and love it. Quiet, powerful and easy to start. :)
But its corded.

My experience with cordless tools is that cheap ones have crappy batteries.
And chainsaws needs LOTS of power.

So this is not a good place to save money. I would want to buy a really good brand and 20v or more. With several back up batteries.

As Emiliano said, the manufacturers keep changing battery design, so in a few years, you are SOL. However, if you spend the $$$ now and buy 4 batteries, that will last a while. My Ni-Cad drills lasted 11 years now and the batteries are finally dying.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I have a Stihl electric chainsaw and love it. Quiet, powerful and easy to start. :)
But its corded.

My experience with cordless tools is that cheap ones have crappy batteries.
And chainsaws needs LOTS of power.

So this is not a good place to save money. I would want to buy a really good brand and 20v or more. With several back up batteries.

As Emiliano said, the manufacturers keep changing battery design, so in a few years, you are SOL. However, if you spend the $$$ now and buy 4 batteries, that will last a while. My Ni-Cad drills lasted 11 years now and the batteries are finally dying.

Olaf, you and Emiliano are for sure correct about the batteries. My Dewalt Ni-MH batteries were almost 15 years old - and the tools too - when I sold them to go with the Milwaukee, which are Lithium ion. I routinely buy an extra one when I have a few extra bucks and I suggest anyone else do the same. And I've had mixed results with the knockoff batteries and so I just buy OEM now, for assurance of safety if not quality (don't need some cheap, poor QC product burning down the shop that is attached to this house). :-D

By the way, you still working on your Camelback drill press?

You can usually purchase aftermarket batteries when the factory obsoletes the OEM version. I just purchased (2) aftermarket obsolete battery packs for a popular cordless brand drill for $15.00 each shipped to my door.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
You can usually purchase aftermarket batteries when the factory obsoletes the OEM version. I just purchased (2) aftermarket obsolete battery packs for a popular cordless brand drill for $15.00 each shipped to my door.

Do you mean that if the manufacturer stops producing the tool? Or if they stop producing just the battery?

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
By the way, you still working on your Camelback drill press?

Nope! Finished that a few years ago (good memory)
Its running beautifully. :)
Made a custom tool rest last year for the lathe - similar to metal spinning ones.
Needed to drill 40+ holes, 3/8", 2" deep, through steel.

No problem. Set the spindle speed and autofeed - it just worked.
A 100 year old machine thats just awesome.
IMG_3544.JPG IMG_3545.JPG

I also found a "newer" Leland Sensitive drill press for smaller stuff.
IMG_3546.JPGIMG_3547.JPG

My kid is 21 months and these machines will outlast him
(assuming he has any interest - of course he won't be allowed into the shop for another 10 years....)

Actually it is the outside shape and plug details that change, the actual cells inside are still made. Take any bad battery apart and you will see a bunch of standard cells with tabs welded together to give the required voltage.

These cells are still available and are new and can be used to rebuild a battery by you or a battery rebuilder.

I haven't had a need to do this but it can be done with fresh cells not something that was sitting on a shelf for a number of years since it was assembled.

Stu

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
My kid is 21 months and these machines will outlast him

Yeah, before plastics were available. looks awesome too..

Actually it is the outside shape and plug details that change, the actual cells inside are still made. Take any bad battery apart and you will see a bunch of standard cells with tabs welded together to give the required voltage.

These cells are still available and are new and can be used to rebuild a battery by you or a battery rebuilder.

I haven't had a need to do this but it can be done with fresh cells not something that was sitting on a shelf for a number of years since it was assembled.

Stu

If you are good with a soldering iron this is an easy project, opening the battery case can be a little tricky on some of the battery packs, You can usually find a YouTube video that shows how to open the different model battery packs for the different tools.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

Stu
Last year I opened up a couple DeWalt NiCad battery packs ... all that you need is a Torx screwdriver. Inside was a bunch of C size cells with solder tabs. You can get these at your local Batteries + Bulbs (or equivalent) for a lot less than the cost of the OEM product.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I wonder if the Milwaukee lithium ion are the same. I may try to find out

I've been boycotting Stihl tools ever since they would not stand behind one of their gas saws. Switched to Echo and never looked back.

The Makita battery powered saw has gotten some pretty good reviews. Every summer Makita runs a special on their tools and it's usually a pretty good deal. My sister-in-law uses one and loves it. I've been thinking of getting one to use inside the shop.

I've used and owned Makita cordless tools since they first came out. I now own several 18v Makita tools. I bought a Makita xcu03z because it uses 2 of the 18v batteries I already own, giving it 36v.
It's quiet and the batteries last about as long as my back, which is good, since I usually can't figure out it's time to stand up straight until it's to late.
I too have Makita 18 volt tools so I bought a Makita saw which I love for the convenience and relative silent operation.

Back